Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick puppy not eating

• 07-05-2011 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hey

Just wondering if there is anything I can add to dry puppy food to make my puppy eat it? She's hurt her leg and is really out of sorts, including not eating. Had her at the vet yesterday and got tablets for her leg but she's supposed to take them with food but no joy.

I tried putting some baby chicken gravy on her food but she just licks it off and wont eat the food, keeps spitting it out. Is there anything else I could add to it or anything else she might eat?

Should I try wet food, as I don't want to keep her on it but I've heard if they get wet food they can be really reluctant to go back to dry?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

You could try her with some chicken thru it or mix a can of tuna through it also. Hope she gets better soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They can be reluctant to go back onto proper food, but I suppose at the moment getting her meds into her is priority. I wouldn't recommend a wet food though, with my two reactions range from vomiting to going totally hyper.

How old and small is she? You could scramble an egg for her meals (no seasoning or milk). If she's a bit bigger and an egg wouldn't fill her, I'd recommend chicken and brown rice. If she is to have food with her tablets, chances are they could upset her stomach, chicken and rice is so plain and gentle, but it should be tasty enough to tempt her.

Hope she's feeling better soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Thanks Guys! She's 5 months old, a Lab, and apparently 19kg according to the vet last night :eek:

Usually she eats anything that falls on the floor but she's not bothering at all, even some toast crust this morning wouldn't tempt her, which she's usually all over! I'll try the chicken and brown rice tho, sounds like a good idea :) Egg too sounds good, I'll try both anyway and see if I can get something into her just so she can at least take her tablets :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I hope she feels better soon! If you dont have any luck with rice and chicken hills/RC do recovery food for post op dogs who have lost their appetite so that may be an option.

Advertisement