Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland on verge of becoming an independant nation, how long before NI falls?

• 07-05-2011 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

So it looks like the SNP are doing very well in the elections and they are promising to hold a referendum for independence around 2014 or 2015. Given the amount of support for the party it would seem the people will overwhelmingly vote yes for independence.

Isn't it about time Northern Ireland got a referendum on independance? I think more and more of the protestants in NI are open to the idea of being an independent nation, they know they need to be able to set their own tax rates and rules in order to prosper, at the minute they are in a straightjacket.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

No it's not.

There was a small movement that supported Scottish independence during the boom years as they wanted to be like Ireland. Now that the UK is fecked aswell, they're holding on for dear life!!

Now feck off with these threads... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ronano

You need to read the polls more my friend, there is support for the snp but not a majority for independence. If it's put to the people in the next 5 years it will not pass, snp will probably aim to get more powers eg. corp tax decentralised to scotland and put the ref. to the people but it won't pass. It's a pity because it would be much more interesting to watch if scotland became their own state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Dean0088 wrote: »
    No it's not.

There was a small movement that supported Scottish independence during the boom years as they wanted to be like Ireland. Now that the UK is fecked aswell, they're holding on for dear life!!

Acch! Ya dinnay nuu whut yer talking aboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

So it looks like the SNP are doing very well in the elections and they are promising to hold a referendum for independence around 2014 or 2015. Given the amount of support for the party it would seem the people will overwhelmingly vote yes for independence.

Isn't it about time Northern Ireland got a referendum on independance? I think more and more of the protestants in NI are open to the idea of being an independent nation, they know they need to be able to set their own tax rates and rules in order to prosper, at the minute they are in a straightjacket.

no. simply no. there is absolutely zero confidence in the labour party after brown and blairs reign of terror and the chance of the torys ever getting voted in is about the same as al queda winning. so the snp are the best choice for a lot of people.

but independence? every opinion poll says no and its generally not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Be great to see. All people should rule themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

As lomg as Scotland or NI remains a part of the EU they will will never become independent nations. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

While watching BBC coverage of the election, it was brought up that the SNP did not even have nationalism on their agenda and it was neither brought up.

So to deduct that the would now go for independence is stretching it a bit.

And as far I can tell the scots are not that stupid to see separation from england and wales as something to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Scottish independence referendum won't pass and neither would a Northern Ireland one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Predator_ wrote: »

Everyones house should be an independent nation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NI independent ?

find out what the word demographics means , it will come in handy later

There were three chances of NI leaving the UK
    - just after partition , but Dev scuppered that by [causing/allowing] the civil war to divert resouces away from the project
    - during WWII when Churchill hinted that if we joined up we'd get NI , Dev was 110% right not to believe it (the fact that the Unionists would have the balance of power was and still is a major factor)
    - during the boom when for the first time it looked like we had more cash to win hearts and minds than the UK. (Housing, health and education up there are way better than down here so don't expect a lot of support from either side to join with ROI)

NI has even less natural resources then we have, IIRC they do have a salt mine.

NI is too small to go it alone. It receives billions from the UK each year.
    The strategy back in the 20's should have been to win back the Nationalist areas where you'd have 80-90% of the vote, piece by piece through economic warefare, simple stuff like a wee bit of wealth transfer to entice peoples southward/westward. Once you got two counties then NI as a viable entity would have been even less likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Being Scottish, I can say that there's a minority of impassioned people seeking independence, and a vast majority of largely apathetic people who are fine with things the way they are. Independence will not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

In order for NI to become independant there would have to be a majority of people who see themselves as "Northern Irish" - The problem is NI doesnt have a national identity. Unionists think of themselves as British people who are living on an outpost and separated from "the mainland" while the Republicans want to come back into this state. How could this scenario ever lead to NI being independant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

To what level? should we abolish government completely?
    AndrewJD wrote: »
    Being Scottish, I can say that there's a minority of impassioned people seeking independence, and a vast majority of largely apathetic people who are fine with things the way they are. Independence will not happen.

I was going to post a similar thing. Pretty every single Scotsman I know couldn't really give a monkey's chuff about independance but despise the Tories and are dissilusioned by labour, so the SNP is the only other logical place to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Everyones house should be an independent nation?

You know what I meant:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

If they were independent they would fall into economic collalpse reasonably quickly and since we have done a decent job of doing that ourselves I personally don't think we would want them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

AndrewJD wrote: »

I agree. Being English, and having lived in Scotland for some years - I think Salmond has a good case for concessions on the corporate tax rate (as do Wales and NI). I'm not sure how that could be implemented though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

To what level? should we abolish government completely?

I was going to post a similar thing. Pretty every single Scotsman I know couldn't really give a monkey's chuff about independance but despise the Tories and are dissilusioned by labour, so the SNP is the only other logical place to vote.
    Welll like as your english friend getz from Dalkeyalso would say,, themany Scottish despise the english evenmore, Wou ld you agree ?.. But as hesaid recently, " he spend so much time in ireland,he keep forgetting what he am,no he do not have a passport to look at to remind me, "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

I think the situation in NI is similiar. I think it is a mistake to assume that because people vote for SF, that they would also vote for Independence. Increasingly, people vote in their own economic interests.

That is precisely what is going on in Scotland. Salmond has been a very effective advocate for Scottish economic interests and people are voting for him for that reason. Salmond will not call for a referendum on Independence for five years because he knows he cannot win it at the moment, as previous posters have stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Welll like as your english friend getz from Dalkeyalso would say,, themany Scottish despise the english evenmore, Wou ld you agree ?.. But as hesaid recently, " he spend so much time in ireland,he keep forgetting what he am,no he do not have a passport to look at to remind me, "

Has one side of your face begun to sag?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Given the amount of support for the party it would seem the people will overwhelmingly vote yes for independence.

45% :confused:

Yeah I can see how an Independent Scotland is an inevitability allright :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Scotland would last about 5 minutes on their own. Its 3rd world enough as it is. If they were independent, they would be the Moldova of Western Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Pauleta wrote: »
    Scotland would last about 5 minutes on their own. Its 3rd world enough as it is.........

How is Scotland "3rd world enough as it is"? Do explain please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Would like to see how indepentent NI would work out. Surely there'd be a civil war tbh but maybe it would actually get rid of all the arguments about religion and stuff if the loosin party got shifted outta the country to UK or Ireland. Don't think UK or Ireland particularly want NI tbh but they won't come and come out and say get the ****. Wish they would :rolleyes:

RE:Scotland, think was mentioned on Sky news that someone said they would hold the referendum towards the end of their term as they weren't hopeful on it, but wanted to get other motions passed beforehand that might be more acheiveable etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Scotland doesnt have the confidence to go alone, We Irish barely have the confidence ourselves never mind the Scots, As for NI, can anyone imagine that place being independent, It would split apart very quick with border counties joining the Republic..

Scotlands best bet is to carry on with the Scottish Parliament, get more autonomy and gradually show the people they can look after their own affairs ad once they become confident in their own abilities, They can decide then..

Nodin wrote: »

Its an absolute dive of a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Pretty poor comment. Have you ever actually been to Scotland or are you basing your views on having watched trainspotting?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Nodin wrote: »

Scotland has the worst life expectancy in western Europe and the devolved assembly only works because it gets huge injections of cash from England (if the Scottish Office was dissolved that could pay off England's balance of payments on its own). None of my Scottish friends would vote for independence, but they do get bristly when English people have a go about subsidies and the East Lothian Question. And the pro-independence minority still think they can go it alone off the back of the remaining oil reserves (which they really can't).

The greatest likelihood of Scottish or NI independence isn't the locals voting for it, its if the English were even given an independent voice of their own; the English would dump the celtic countries so fast it would make your head spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Scotland can't rely on oil, their North Sea reserves peaked in 1999 and declining now by 8% a year. The SNP could push the corporation tax argument during a referendum. Also the Nuclear Submarines are based in Scotland. I'm sure a massive jobs and money spinner.

• Advertisement

Pretty poor comment. Have you ever actually been to Scotland or are you basing your views on having watched trainspotting?
    Yes i have been there and its a dive

Yes i have been there and its a dive .

An incisive bit of analysis there. I'm glad to see you're keeping to your usual standard.

Do carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

This might sound strange but I think theres more people in northern Ireland that want either independance from Britian and forming a united Ireland or to be an independant state. As regard the people of the uk I think more people in the uk want a united Ireland or independant NI than an independant Scotland.

The whole notion comes and goes over there, from what I can gather. The fact is that they're slowly working towards de facto independence regardless. I'd imagine thats what Salmond is going to go for this administration, much as he's done previously.

At some stage down the line it will probably be just a case of a referendum to acknowledge the reality of the position they've arrived at, though my fat carcass may not be round to witness it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I work with a few Scots and one of them told me that he is voting SNP but is 100% against Scotland leaving the UK.

Seems to be a common view from what he was telling me - they have done a lot of good things for Scotland so they are popular but this doesn't necessarily mean that the majority of people there want independence

Just curious but what is the rest of the uk's opinion of Scotland leaving the uk?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Scotland would last about 5 minutes on their own. Its 3rd world enough as it is. If they were independent, they would be the Moldova of Western Europe.
    The only chance they had was North Sea oil, but the money went south

Corporation tax might be interesting maybe

Gas could be big in the future , but if it is then UK won't let them go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

NI couldn't afford it, not now and not any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

It has its share of of underprivileged areas yes, but calling it 3rd world just makes your post sound ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

No country is really independent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You know what I meant:rolleyes:

So it just depends on how long ago a particular border was decided by people? Why cant people decide on new borders now as they see fit? What makes the old ones any more valid?Just cos its old?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Self-discipline, try it sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just as well Scotland isn't already independent, the Bank of Scotland/RBS fiacso would have buried them. They know that London tax payers are basicly keeping them afloat right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Dean0088 wrote: »
    No it's not.

sorry dean but the snp have said from day one if they get a majority the WILL hold a referendum on Independence , the electorate know this and still gave a majority - hence you have to assume the majority WANT independence

as for the uk being fecked you are 100% correct , poss 1 trillion in debt - sterling is worthless because of QE and printing far to much currency

so tell me again why its not the perfect time for Scotland to do a runner
    as a Independent nation the can borrow to sustain themselves - dont need the rest of the union - NI does not have this available to them , and the majority want to stay in the union , so totally different animals

cant wait to see how the english react when the scots take the oil from ITS sovereign waters :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13319936

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I'd be well in favour of an independent Scottish state, most Scots I know are lovely people and no shortage of brains or creativity either. Independence is probably the best way for them to reach their full potential, and no doubt they would receive a warm welcome into the community of nations from our own government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Scottish independence is far more likely that a united ireland thanks to all the bombs and bullets.

mike65 wrote: »
    Just as well Scotland isn't already independent, the Bank of Scotland/RBS fiacso would have buried them. They know that London tax payers are basicly keeping them afloat right now.

How do london taxpayers feel about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

dj jarvis wrote: »
    sorry dean but the snp have said from day one if they get a majority the WILL hold a referendum on Independence , the electorate know this and still gave a majority - hence you have to assume the majority WANT independence

Or maybe they just want the SNP to run their non-Westminster affairs.

Opinion polls on independence are still not in the SNP's favour at the moment, but things could get interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Is there anywhere one can donate to the SNP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    I'd be well in favour of an independent Scottish state, most Scots I know are lovely people and no shortage of brains or creativity either.

And they are as tight as a flea's arse and very shrewd too. They would never have let a man like bertie into office to ruin them.

sollar wrote: »
    Scottish independence is far more likely that a united ireland thanks to all the bombs and bullets.

Well the thing about independance is that there is two countries in it. In the case of northern Ireland there is three. A large number of the people in the uk would love free of NI and its because of the bombs and bullets they desire to be free of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement