Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rigid Polyurethane Foam sheets

• 07-05-2011 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, would anyone have any idea where I can get sheets of rigid PU foam. It's to be glassed as part of a project I'm doing and the crowd I normally get it off don't have any for the forseeable.Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi, B&Q do the pink and blue foam insulation sheets might be worth a look and if not try kingspan they should have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I know that boat builders have been using PU foam for years but it really isnt suitable for use in damp environments. The stuff absorbs water over time and degrades with exposure to moisture.

I have been looking at this from the construction point of view and I would always specify the older Polystyrene (white beads) over PU in any potentially damp location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Slig wrote: »
    I know that boat builders have been using PU foam for years but it really isnt suitable for use in damp environments. The stuff absorbs water over time and degrades with exposure to moisture.

I have been looking at this from the construction point of view and I would always specify the older Polystyrene (white beads) over PU in any potentially damp location.

I considered using that but would be afraid of the resin eating the foam. Have you ever had problems with this?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Can you tell us a bit more about what you are trying to do. If you want it for floatation then a closed-cell foam like this will do http://www.insulationireland.net/foam_board.htm without the need to coat it in resin. As foam is not solid if you coat it in resin the slightest bit of pressure will crack the resin unless you use a fiberglass cloth and coat with resin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

fergal.b wrote: »
    Can you tell us a bit more about what you are trying to do. If you want it for floatation then a closed-cell foam like this will do http://www.insulationireland.net/foam_board.htm without the need to coat it in resin. As foam is not solid if you coat it in resin the slightest bit of pressure will crack the resin unless you use a fiberglass cloth and coat with resin.

It's to form two moulded in seats which will then be covered in a couple of layers of cloth and resin.

• Advertisement

Ok one way to do it no matter what what foam you use is to cover the foam in cling film then the resin wont affect it, put it on in light coats so the chemical reaction wont heat up too much when it's setting.

Advertisement