Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saving psds to jpgs

Options
  • 07-05-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Been struggling a lot with this lately, losing a lot of quality saving flyers/posters to jpeg from photoshop to email onto people so they can take a look

When i save in PDF the filesize is mental, the last poster i done was nearly 250 mbs in pdf format, which means i can't email it. When its time to goto print i throw the pdf onto a disk and send it to the printers but my immediate problem is getting an email friendly format thats not going to have to much effect or loss of quality.

An advice much appreciated

Please & Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Sorry I am confused. Is it PSD to JPEG or PDF to JPEG???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Open the PDF and print it back to PDF but choose 'smallest file size' in the print dialogue.

This will drop all of the images to 100dpi, you could go as low as 72dpi for screen viewing/proofing.

EDIT: Actually with posters you can get away with 100dpi as the viewing distance is greater than with regular print.

....but having said that, Photoshop is really for image manipulation and not print design.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

Thanks for the reply, i have the adobe master suite, but so far I have only delved into PS and DW should i be working in Illustrator then ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If you're using a lot of vector then yes, use Illustrator.

What kind of quality loss are you having? Compression artefacts? What resolution is your document?

Have you tried exporting to other formats like PNG?

• Advertisement

A lot of the formats vanish for some reason by the time i go to save (png) is not a option

Anyway i've opened up a few old flyers and most of them are grand, i think its to do with the filesize, when i start doing these posters they were around 1.5mb in size, the last few were 6mbs and thats when i start having the problems, the latest one i done is 6.5 Mbs and photoshop keeps crashing when i tried to save it to pdf

Guess i better get onto another 10,000 youtube videos on illustrator

dubsbhoy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, i have the adobe master suite, but so far I have only delved into PS and DW should i be working in Illustrator then ?

I would use Photoshop for the raster images and then Illustrator for the layout and text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Presumably you're dealing with quite large image resolutions if it's for printing.

For email quick jpgs, I just image resize to a screen friendly size - e.g 1024px width or 800px height, maintaining proportion, then use the Save for web option to save a jpg - I find usually 70-80% quality is fine. Lastly, I just undo the image resize or else just close the PSD without saving and reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

JustinOval wrote: »
    I would use Photoshop for the raster images and then Illustrator for the layout and text.

You should be using inDesign for the layout! Illustrator is a vector DRAWING program.

bette wrote: »
    You should be using inDesign for the layout! Illustrator is a vector DRAWING program.

Illustrator is fine for simple single page flyers/posters.

• Advertisement

...InDesign has a drop shadow virus. :D

Illustrator is fine for simple single page flyers/posters.

So is Microsoft Word, Open Office and Photoshop Elements. :D

So is Microsoft Word, Open Office and Photoshop Elements. :D

:D I know InDesign should be used, but I would use Illustrator.

Microsoft anything should never be used, especially if you want transparency or drop shadows.
    I've had to deal with PDFs with up to 31,000 image masks per page. :eek: :D

:D I know InDesign should be used, but I would use Illustrator.

Microsoft anything should never be used, especially if you want transparency or drop shadows.
    I've had to deal with PDFs with up to 31,000 image masks per page. :eek: :D
    If you are making suggestions then you should try to be helpful not smartass. Sometimes I fool around with Word for the hell of it but I have to admit that it is a horrid program.

Another thing - the Photoshop/Adobe Suite users who have scant knowledge of the program would appear to have "acquired" the program rather than go out to pay for something that has a steep learning curve! :cool:

If you are making suggestions then you should try to be helpful not smartass. Sometimes I fool around with Word for the hell of it but I have to admit that it is a horrid program.

Another thing - the Photoshop/Adobe Suite users who have scant knowledge of the program would appear to have "acquired" the program rather than go out to pay for something that has a steep learning curve! :cool:

Oh the irony...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HappyKate

Hi, I save psd to jpg this way:

1. Resize psd to desired size.
    2. Layers/Flatten image.
    3. Save as.... And choose jpg format from the drop-down menu.
    That's it..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What quality setting are you using for your JPEG compression?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

The reason png is not an option when you go to save is your color mode is set to CMYK or Indexed instead of RGB. Go to Image>Mode and check RGB Color.
    The great thing about PNG is they also preserves transparency and alpha channels, and it's uncompressed and still quite small (unlike TIFF which are huge and don't preserve transpareny).
    The reason JPEGS lose so much quality is people don't realise that when you resave a file as a JPEG in an image edditing program like Photoshop, Illustrator, Paint or GIMP then it gets compressed by 10% EVERY TIME you resave it. PNG stays the same no matter how many times you save it.
    People should actually stop using JPEG in my opinion. It was good in the nineties when computers couldn't handle images but nowadays they're unnecessary, completely over used and no one realizes they're quality is dreadful. Instead they blame their printers or screen res etc.

If you need any more help PM me.

some sound advice, thanks everyone

Advertisement