Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very rural Ireland

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No it's not and it's €20 for the two of them, the journey is about 3km, part of it along a main road.

That's a really good safe service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Teddy455

Things i don't like about rural Ireland are:

The one off houses that are built that all look different and bear no resemblence.
    Ireland should follow in countries like France where most of the houses look the same. same colour walls and roofs. These houses soon look old and will be left there destroying the beautiful countryside. The only way i think we could build rural houses is that they all look the same like all being covered by stone walls not like different colours of poco dots scattered across the countrysiede ruining the landscape. I think we should follow the housing styles like Britanny.

Councils should be more strict about giving planning to mcmansions and all different styles of housing and make a permanent style of housing in the countryside like other european countries such as France.

Edit: I think councils should be more strict on the building of giant houses for no particular reason as houses seem to be getting bigger these days and families getting smaller.

Another thing i don't like is all the ditches and trees in ditches (I think ditch is the right word to the hedge not refering to the drain next to it. is it?) that block the view of the countryside that are failed to be cut properly and grow as high as houses blocking the view off roads. I also think we should follow the way in Britanny(As it has a similar climate) with knocking ditches and puting up wires.

We need to tackle or dispered population by introducing laws like not being aloud to build one off houses if you dont have any reason or need to live in the countryside which are covering all the roads and blocking all the views and having huge gardens that are unused and would be better used for agricultural purposes. There would be larger farms increasing the production supporting the local economy.

I also don't like these people who demand all these services to be at there doorstep like free buses school buses and other amenities.

I also think unused rural roads should be destroyed and converted to farm land as they are no benefit to the local people and that rural roads that serve 3 or 4 houses should be unpaved and should just have gravel which the money used to pave them could be spended somewhere else to benefit the local area.

^ Are you from Brittanny?

The "free for all" style is what makes the Irish countryside unique. I believe that the current trend of rural house construction is coming to an end anyway, so strict laws imposed now will have a very limited affect. Few new houses are being built as it is and that evern fewer will be built in the near future.

Ditches!.... Do you propose installing land drains throught the whole countryside?

Rural roads that are lightly used are likely to deteriorate at their own accord as mantenance may well be reduced in the future to save money, look we've just lost the A&E service in Roscommon hospital, a country road is an easy saving.

As I've said before, most rural people have lower expectations wrt services, they are well aware that services can't be provided at the same levels as in the cities, the problem arises when city folk move out and expect the same levels as they are used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As I've said before, most rural people have lower expectations wrt services, they are well aware that services can't be provided at the same levels as in the cities, the problem arises when city folk move out and expect the same levels as they are used to.

The other problem is that very little of the bungalow blight is rural people's doing... building on your parents land generally ensures that you're near other existing houses!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

^ Are you from Brittanny?

The "free for all" style is what makes the Irish countryside unique. I believe that the current trend of rural house construction is coming to an end anyway, so strict laws imposed now will have a very limited affect. Few new houses are being built as it is and that evern fewer will be built in the near future.

There is nothing ' unique ' about the Irish countryside - its just a lot of gaudy bungalows and mini mansions with vulgar displays of wealth on almost every hillside. It does not matter a damn now what planning laws are brought in - most of our traditional landscapes have been destroyed forever. As a nation, we should be ashamed of what we have done.

• Advertisement

Clareboy wrote: »
    There is nothing ' unique ' about the Irish countryside - its just a lot of gaudy bungalows and mini mansions with vulgar displays of wealth on almost every hillside.

It is unique as it has been done nowhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Clareboy wrote: »
    There is nothing ' unique ' about the Irish countryside - its just a lot of gaudy bungalows and mini mansions with vulgar displays of wealth on almost every hillside. It does not matter a damn now what planning laws are brought in - most of our traditional landscapes have been destroyed forever. As a nation, we should be ashamed of what we have done.

if you think that bungalows destroyed the Irish landscape, you need to get out more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

if you think that bungalows destroyed the Irish landscape, you need to get out more :D

And see more of the bloody things?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Getting rid of ditches has impacts on birds and other animals, and can impact soil erosion through wind and water. They can also provide some shelter to both animals and people in rough weather!

Lack of maintenance is not an excuse to simply say rip them out, it is to tell landowners to either maintain them properly or the Council will and send them a bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

dowlingm wrote: »
    Getting rid of ditches has impacts on birds and other animals, and can impact soil erosion through wind and water. They can also provide some shelter to both animals and people in rough weather!

Lack of maintenance is not an excuse to simply say rip them out, it is to tell landowners to either maintain them properly or the Council will and send them a bill.

The responsibility for roadside ditches falls on the councils not on the landowners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Tipp Man wrote: »
    The responsibility for roadside ditches falls on the councils not on the landowners

Do you have a reference for this?
    I also thought it was the landowners, just like keeping the hedges cut?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

You folk are all mad! :D

You want rural Ireland to look like rural France?

Go live there - and leave Ireland to us. We like it just the way it is. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Wild Bill wrote: »
    You folk are all mad! :D

You want rural Ireland to look like rural France?

Go live there - and leave Ireland to us. We like it just the way it is. :cool:
    Is this supposed to be sarcastic Bill?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

murphaph wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be sarcastic Bill?

:confused:

I'd ask the same question. Are you being sarcastic, or is this just provocative, border-line trolling? There's certainly a debate to be had here, and comments such as Bill's above are sub-par in terms of the standard of discussion achieved so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I don't "troll", border-line or otherwise.

I was characterising, in summary, the arguments of so many here who keep comparing rural Ireland to imagined Arcadias abroad.

If they really feel so strongly positive about rural France, then I think it reasonable to suggest they go there rather than try to re-create it here?

Was I being sarcastic? Absolutely, yes. Some of the views expressed here fully merit sarcasm and I certainly don't share you enthusiasm for the quality of the debate achieved here so far.

Much of the criticism of Ireland is trendy, derivative, formulaic bollix. 'Scuse the language.

If you want certain opinions banned from this thread, just say so and I'll leave it to all the like-minded folk.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Wild Bill wrote: »

If you want certain opinions banned from this thread....

:mad:

Not at all - just elaborated on a little more. Your comment caused confusion and was construed as possibly trolling, due in no small part to its brevity. I accept now that it was not an instance of trolling. Feel free to have your spake. :)

Advertisement