Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time buyer, need advice

Options
  • 07-05-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

hi, im thinking about buying a moped or some kind of two wheeled motor for the summer. i don't have a license of any kind or a bike. i was wondering if any body could give me some advice on where to get a cheap bike, what to look for in a bike, what protective clothing to to get and how to go about getting a license for a bike. im only looking for something small and speedy that can get me around my local area and im hoping to not spend too much. any ideas? i would appreciate any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

Dan fnuts wrote: »
    hi, im thinking about buying a moped or some kind of two wheeled motor for the summer. i don't have a license of any kind or a bike. i was wondering if any body could give me some advice on where to get a cheap bike, what to look for in a bike, what protective clothing to to get and how to go about getting a license for a bike. im only looking for something small and speedy that can get me around my local area and im hoping to not spend too much. any ideas? i would appreciate any advice :)

You will end up spending a nice amount to get up and running properly. Here's a rough idea of the costs involved:

You will need to sit the theory test and then do the IBT to get your prov. licence. circa €600-800 for the IBT

Full protective gear will cost anything between €500-€1000 depending on the quality of the stuff you get.

Then you have the cost of bike + insurance....it aint gonna be a cheap mode of transport if its just for the summer...

Whats your budget and age BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can half both of those costs mentioned so far and still be doing ok. If you are young, insurance is going to be the deciding factor. Read some of the other threads in the forum, this has come up hundreds of times!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gardoyle27

You will end up spending a nice amount to get up and running properly. Here's a rough idea of the costs involved:

You will need to sit the theory test and then do the IBT to get your prov. licence. circa €600-800 for the IBT
    where did you get that figure from? theory test is €40 and if your paying 800 for IBT your being well over charged, i paid 450 for my IBT on my own never mind what it would have saved to do it with a second person

gardoyle27 wrote: »
    where did you get that figure from? theory test is €40 and if your paying 800 for IBT your being well over charged, i paid 450 for my IBT on my own never mind what it would have saved to do it with a second person

Ok to be fair I didnt have to do the IBT so the figures quoted were from what I have seen other people have been charged for it. When it was initially brought in it was around that mark tho.

seriously? if people are paying that in a recession then i'd wonder if there was a recession, lol thats mad money, i used ISM 450 all in, which still seemed expensive but affordable

• Advertisement

seriously? if people are paying that in a recession then i'd wonder if there was a recession, lol thats mad money, i used ISM 450 all in, which still seemed expensive but affordable

Yeah that was the initial cost that was bandied around, which is crazy money no doubt, prices vary quite a bit so its definitely no harm to shop around and some places do a reduction if there are a few of ye doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

Hey Gardoyle, where did you get it for 450 ? Interesting price :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You're based in Dublin right? I'd imagine with the lack of competition in my part of the world it could cost twice that.

But then we pay half the price for a pint so it all evens out!:pac:

Shiroki wrote: »
    Hey Gardoyle, where did you get it for 450 ? Interesting price :)

i got that price from ISM finglas, granted i booked it at the bike show and it was reduced, but normally with them it is €500, i got 50 off for booking at the show. if someone is trying to charge you over 600 you should ask them 2 things, the first is would they mind taking off the balaclava before they rob you and the second is would they mind pulling down your trousers before they shaft you!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Leftbehind

don't get a moped any way. Insurance would cost more then a 125c because their more prone to being robbed and you'd be fed up with the speed and the noise. I'd suggest a honda xr125. Reliable,cheap to run(petrol etc..), cheap insurance and its quick for its size. Great bike as even if ye drop it ye won't do much damage or anything. Good starter bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement