Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Nvidia Graphics Card

Options
  • 07-05-2011 12:31pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got a 3d monitor and the nvidia vision kit so need to sell my ATI card and get an Nvidia. Any suggestions?

I haven't had an Nvidia for years so know nothing about them atm. Something for 150-200 would be good. I'm replacing a 4870 1gb so I'd like it to be better than that anyway!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

A bit over budget after shipping, but something like this:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-gainward-gtx-560-ti-40nm-4008mhz-gddr5-gpu-822mhz-shader-1644mhz-384-cores-dvi-hdmi

Anything less isn't really worth it as you won't see much of a difference between it and the 4870.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cool thanks, I was looking at that or is there much difference between that and this

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-msi-gtx-560-ti-twin-frozr-ii-oc-40nm-4200mhz-gddr5-gpu-880mhz-shader-1760mhz-384-cores

??

The MSI one has a much nicer cooler and is factory overclocked. It will probably be quieter as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The GTX 480 would be more powerful by about 10-15% but:
    -Consumes ~100W more under load
    -Is ~20dB louder
    -Is ~20C hotter

If you don't mind high ESB bills and your case+psu can handle it then the 480 is a better buy. But the extra power consumption adds up really quickly

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot, will have a look at some more and pick. My case is small and crap :P Don't mind about ESB but cooler one might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The 480s don't run that hot. My 280 ran hotter, back in the day. Even if it does, it's excellent value for money in comparison to the 560.

Serephucus wrote: »
    The 480s don't run that hot. My 280 ran hotter, back in the day. Even if it does, it's excellent value for money in comparison to the 560.

Hmm really not sure whether or not to get the 480 or the 560 overclocked now!

Well post your specs, as well as your case, and any fans you replaced, etc. I should be able to give you a temperature estimate for the 480.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (4MB L2 Cache)
    Patriot 2GB PC6400 (800MHz)
    ATI HD 4870 1GB
    motherboard is nForce 650i Ultra
    PSU Corsair TX 650W

This is my current computer, so quite old, originally i bought this computer from a gaming cafe and it had a 8800gts 320 meg and **** 500 watt psu.

I have no idea what the case is, it's a small one and all it says on it is made in china. heh. It has like one fan at the back.

• Advertisement

Hmmm... I'd maybe suggest getting the 560 if it's a good bit cheaper, maybe put the money towards a new case, or a CPU cooler for OCing. A 480 is going to be held back by a slow dual core.

560 ti £180.
    The OC'ed 560ti £191
    480gtx £196

I want a new case, motherboard and ram but wont be getting them for ages.

I'd get the 480 in that case.

As for cases, there's a few decent but cheap ones on Adverts at the moment.

http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/coolermaster-elite-370-atx-matx-case-brand-new/581502
    http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/antec-300-case/330808

With a cheap single fan case you shouldn't be going anywhere near a GTX 480. Heres a test of various GPUs under load (reference cooler)
    36577.png

With the Twin Frozr cooler you would be getting even lower temperatures than shown there, and you could overclock to 1000MHz which would give it roughly the same performance as the 480 anyway.

You have to remember that most sites like that will test with an ambient temperature of closer to 25°C, which is way higher than we have.

In a good case - NZXT Tempest and ATCS 840 - I've never seen my 480 get above 85°C.

I'm not saying it's not hot, it is, but it's designed to handle temperatures of up to 105°C, so who cares?

Yeah but the problem is there's a huge difference between the NZXT Tempest with what 6? 120mm fans and a crappy generic case with a single rear 80mm one.

Yes, which is why I pointed him to the Antec 300. It's an upgrade he'd need to make if he wanted to upgrade most of his components anyway, but in particular the graphics card.

Yes, which is why I pointed him to the Antec 300. It's an upgrade he'd need to make if he wanted to upgrade most of his components anyway, but in particular the graphics card.

Even the Antec 300 would give problems considering that it lacks cable management and the TX650 isn't modular. Even if you added 2 front fans to the Antec 300, the airflow probably wouldn't be good enough for the 480.

Thanks guys. I think I've decided to make a new thread.

I will buy a new case, mobo, processor, gpu and ram in 2 months instead of just a gpu/case now. I will try and piece together what to get on that thread! As the case and gpu are going to be presents I should be able to get some good stuff.

deconduo wrote: »
    Even the Antec 300 would give problems considering that it lacks cable management and the TX650 isn't modular. Even if you added 2 front fans to the Antec 300, the airflow probably wouldn't be good enough for the 480.

I have a friend with an Antec 300 and an overclocked 480 that hasn't hit 90 who would like a word. ;)

I will buy a new case, mobo, processor, gpu and ram in 2 months instead of just a gpu/case now. I will try and piece together what to get on that thread! As the case and gpu are going to be presents I should be able to get some good stuff.

If you're waiting two months, the 7xxx/6xx series might be out by then, meaning lower prices on current series.

• Advertisement

If you are getting the GTX 480 I'd recommend these cases:
    CM 690 II Advanced
    CM HAF 912
    CM HAF 922
    NZXT Hades
    Thermaltake Armor A90

I have a friend with an Antec 300 and an overclocked 480 that hasn't hit 90 who would like a word. ;)

Modular PSU? Changed the normal fans? Lives in Antartica? If not I'm impressed, I really didn't think the 300 would be good enough.

If you're waiting two months, the 7xxx/6xx series might be out by then, meaning lower prices on current series.
    Hoping that will be the case!
    If you are getting the GTX 480 I'd recommend these cases:
    CM 690 II Advanced
    CM HAF 912
    CM HAF 922
    NZXT Hades
    Thermaltake Armor A90
    Thanks, I'll have a look at them. Suppose I'll make the thread in a month or so and decide what card to get! I do however like the idea of a cooler quieter card. Maybe the 570 will be cheaper then

what problems will i be running into without a modular psu?

Modular PSU? Changed the normal fans? Lives in Antartica? If not I'm impressed, I really didn't think the 300 would be good enough.

Don't know. Nope. England. I was too, to be honest.

Cable clutter. If you have a big-ish case though it's not really a problem. Might be a little difficult to hide away all the cables in something like the 300, but it can be done.

Ah thought that was all, I can do well with that, seeing as I have a tiny case and cable tying ingenuity :D I'll be back looking for you guys when the time is right to spend lots of money :p

I have the TX650 and HAF 922 and there are no problems as the case is big enough to hide away the unneeded cables. Should be the same for any of the cases I mentioned there.

Good stuff! See you next month for my i7 ;)

Advertisement