Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuffing Recipe anyone?

Options
  • 07-05-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm making a roast tomorrow and I have a few bags of breadcrumbs lying around and I was wondering if anyone could give me a pretty basic, straight forward but tasty stuffing recipe?
    I'm stuffing the cavity of my chicken with lemon, herbs and garlic so no room it I'm afraid, so I'll be doing the stuffing in a separate tray.

I was looking stuff up online but though some boardsies would be better help.

Nothing fancy, just bread, sage, onion. That's all i'm looking for.

Many thanks in advance guys. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For traditional bread stuffing just fry a chopped onion in butter until soft and combine this with your breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, thyme and parsley.

You can change the herbs as you like and add pretty much anything you want into it eg, lemon/orange zest, dried fruit, nuts, bacon, garlic, ginger etc. etc.

If doing separate from the bird, I've found that lining a large piece of tinfoil with serrano ham (cheap stuff from Lidl) and putting your stuffing on top and rolling it into a 'sausage' works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

For traditional bread stuffing just fry a chopped onion in butter until soft and combine this with your breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, thyme and parsley.

You can change the herbs as you like and add pretty much anything you want into it eg, lemon/orange zest, dried fruit, nuts, bacon, garlic, ginger etc. etc.

If doing separate from the bird, I've found that lining a large piece of tinfoil with serrano ham (cheap stuff from Lidl) and putting your stuffing on top and rolling it into a 'sausage' works very well.

That serrano ham idea sounds absolutely beautiful. Must give it a go, cheers for the speedy reply TBR, just printed off my shopping list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Like the serrano ham idea a lot!

I like to soften an onion and garlic in butter. Add that to breadcrumbs with a nice helping of chopped parsley, fresh sage and fresh thyme. Grind in some black pepper. Then add one raw egg, and squeeze in the meat from two to three large, good quality sausages, discarding the casings. Mix it up with your hands - it'll turn into a very moist stuffing that's very easy to stuff into the chicken. It also cooks well in a separate dish (and from now on it'll be cooking well wrapped in serrano ham wrapped in tinfoil!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

maybe add a bit of stock to the breadcrumbs if cooking seperate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't fry the onion before I add it to the breadcrumbs I just finely chop it and add Sage, Black pepper, a little salt and some butter and mix it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

An oldie but a goodie, similar to CJhaughey's

Stale bread made into breadcrumbs (shop bought just never seems to be the same) Raw onion, very finely chopped. Parsley finely chopped/whizzed. Salt & Pepper

Lash it all into a bowl, and 'rub' some butter in as if you're making pastry. And then fill the bird.

Sometimes I put in some lemon zest too, works well with chicken. You could put in apple if you were stuffing pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think the most disturbing thing about trying to make breadcrumbs these days is how long it takes shop-bought sliced pan to go stale... :O

Advertisement