Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy power offer odds, prob mistake .

• 07-05-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

My dad put a bet on with PP about 4 weeks ago.

Basically he asked for the odds on Both Dublin hurlers and footballers in getting to the Leinster Finals (not winning, just getting to these respective finals).

To his shock he got 28-1 (which I think were the odds for both to win Leinster).

To be sure we didnt get shafted, I got PP to email us out a copy of this bet and sure enough it had both teams to get to Leinster Final at 28-1. When he phoned 3 weeks later to put a bet on for his friend, the odds were more realistic at 6/4.

My question is what happens if the bet is won ? Can PP say it was an admin error or can I use the email (and obvious bet) as something they have to stand over ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Paddy Powers reserve the right to fukk you in the ass.

I wouldn't expect to get paid on that unless it's a small sum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

A lot has happened in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Paddy Powers reserve the right to fukk you in the ass.

I wouldn't expect to get paid on that unless it's a small sum.

Is there no sort of regulator of bookies ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Healio wrote: »
    A lot has happened in 3 weeks.

Yeh, but surely not that much.

Surely a contract was agreed when they made the offer and my father accepted ?

He put €20 on it, so stands to win €560.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Drumpot wrote: »
    Surely a contract was agreed when they made the offer and my father accepted ?
    No such thing in gambling.
    He put €20 on it, so stands to win €560.
    A lot has to happen before he wins anything, just like a lot happen to shorten the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

he should have placed the bet there and then,3 weeks is along time in the gambling world as you can see a few days ago jedward where 25/1 to win the eurovision and they dropped to 2/1 near the start,the reason the price dropped is because in 3 weeks people probably placed bets on dublin hurlers/footballers therefore forcing traders to lowers prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

he should have placed the bet there and then,3 weeks is along time in the gambling world as you can see a few days ago jedward where 25/1 to win the eurovision and they dropped to 2/1 near the start,the reason the price dropped is because in 3 weeks people probably placed bets on dublin hurlers/footballers therefore forcing traders to lowers prices.

He did place the bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hurler_87

If the bet was placed within the a day or two of getting the odds you should receive that price, if not something very close to it. (there's a disclaimer on their emails, saying something along the lines they cant guarantee these prices for extended period of time - i.e. ringing a week later to receive the same price).

You would have had to ring them to place that bet - you would have been quoted a price at that time, and that is the price you receive.

If you contact them over the phone or through live chat they'll confirm the bet is on the account -

I do these bets regularly enough, and always get the price on the email (as I ring the same day if not the day after getting the email).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

no, it's a gentlemans agreement, they aren't oblidged to pay out on any bet, strictly speaking.

As for the bet, it's an obvious mistake, you chances are it'll be marked down as a clerical error and will be setteld at the correct price.
    hurler_87 wrote: »
    If the bet was placed within the a day or two of getting the odds you should receive that price, if not something very close to it. (there's a disclaimer on their emails, saying something along the lines they cant guarantee these prices for extended period of time - i.e. ringing a week later to receive the same price).

You would have had to ring them to place that bet - you would have been quoted a price at that time, and that is the price you receive.

If you contact them over the phone or through live chat they'll confirm the bet is on the account -

I do these bets regularly enough, and always get the price on the email (as I ring the same day if not the day after getting the email).
    I don't think you have any idea what happened.

They recieved 28/1 and placed the bet. It's obviously a mistake, the fact that they emailed won't change this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Henree

In theory you could place a bet on a horse with a bookie, it wins, he doesnt have to pay, A bet is not recoverable under law. (obviously it would be bad for business if he didnt pay)

• Advertisement
Advertisement