Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd calls from a private number(s)

Options
  • 07-05-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago I recieved a few strange calls from a private number and it stopped.

Then it started again and a few offensive and threatning voicemails were left it has since subsided.
    I logged all calls and printed them out if I were to produce the log to Gardai is there anything they could possibly do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes, they can trace the calls one you make an official report. They can get access to the details from the networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Davy wrote: »
    Yes, they can trace the calls one you make an official report. They can get access to the details from the networks.

It has stopped and hopefully it doesnt start again.
    Can they work back the way?
    If so if it was from an unregistered phone or since unused could they link it to an individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If they were being threatening its probably best to give a statement, as it has stopped before and then started again so whats to say it doesn't re-start. Just because they have registered doesnt mean they cant be trace. Just give the details to the guards and let them look into it.

Thanks I will report and give them log because the voicemails were very aggressive and threatning an I realy dont want any more of it.

I reported this to the guards gave them all the info I had.i have heard nothing since does anyone know anything about this procedure how long it takes or what they will find out

• Advertisement

Anyone have any info or an idea of what happens in such a case?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

i had same prob before but with txt msgs so went guards they found the owner of the phone but the owner had lost their phone so dont know who was behind it and nothing ever came of it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

eagle10 wrote: »
    Anyone have any info or an idea of what happens in such a case?

I had this problem a number of years ago with my landline. Went to the Garda and was advised that it would be required of them to make an application to seek access to my landline records. I would then be required to identify the offending calls from subsequent records. It then appeared to me as if it would then be necessary for the Garda to actually catch the offender making a call. I changed my number - it appears in these type of cases that the balance is not in your favour?

Thanks
    seems like nothing is straightforward in this country and the law often protects the offender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

How it works:

Every time you make a phone call, the local exchange / mobile system sends your phone number to the exchange receiving the call. It also sends a message which says either "Display" or "Do not display".

The phone number of the calling party is still logged anyway and kept on record for a few years.

"Tracing" is only accessing that database, it's not a difficult task like it was in the old days when there were non-digital exchanges that switched calls using relays and other moving parts. It's nothing like the way police dramas would have you believe :)

Basically, the Gardaí can get a warrant to access that information from eircom, Vodafone, UPC, Smart, your mobile operator etc etc.

Technically speaking it's very easy.

Only a fool would assume their calls are entirely anonymous by blocking the caller ID ! Thankfully, most threatening callers are usually fools though so they're easily caught / frightened off with a call from the local station!

The only problem you might have is that if it's a call from a non-registered prepay phone or a payphone it can be tricky figure out who it's from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

Solair wrote: »
    How it works:

Every time you make a phone call, the local exchange / mobile system sends your phone number to the exchange receiving the call. It also sends a message which says either "Display" or "Do not display".

The phone number of the calling party is still logged anyway and kept on record for a few years.

"Tracing" is only accessing that database, it's not a difficult task like it was in the old days when there were non-digital exchanges that switched calls using relays and other moving parts. It's nothing like the way police dramas would have you believe :)

Basically, the Gardaí can get a warrant to access that information from eircom, Vodafone, UPC, Smart, your mobile operator etc etc.

Technically speaking it's very easy.

Only a fool would assume their calls are entirely anonymous by blocking the caller ID ! Thankfully, most threatening callers are usually fools though so they're easily caught / frightened off with a call from the local station!

The only problem you might have is that if it's a call from a non-registered prepay phone or a payphone it can be tricky figure out who it's from.

There is another aspect - not who owns or registered to the phone, but who is making the call and proof of same

Advertisement