Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lack of Irish radio stations on sky

• 07-05-2011 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Any reason why RTE are using two slots for Radio 1 and why there isn't more stations from Eire on sky? UTV could at least throw a few up ther alongside their UK stations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

bbability wrote: »
    Any reason why RTE are using two slots for Radio 1

UPC have two as well, one of them being RTE Radio 1 LW. There are some differences between the two - Mass 10 o'clock Sunday mornings....etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

bbability wrote: »
    Any reason why RTE are using two slots for Radio 1 and why there isn't more stations from Eire on sky? UTV could at least throw a few up ther alongside their UK stations
    BBCR4 have 2 slots also - one for the FM output and one for the LW output. Dont RTE only put some sports commentaries on AM or FM?

As for UTV presumably they dont want to pay the additional charges for minimal return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

radio one , 2 fm and newstalk are on the sky dial and i think r na g might be aswell , pity today fm is abstent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Yeah thats true, RTE R1 is on it twice.Are they paying them twice? Surprised Today FM is not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lacase

Don't forget Lyric FM is also there. I know on DAB there is an RTE 1 extra so maybe the second RTE 1 is for that? The station does split at times with one program on RTE 1 FM and a different program on RTE 1 Longwave. It may be the same on Astra.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is one of the Radio 1 feeds not from WRN (which was there before the other RTÉ radio channels, along with TV channels appeared on Sky)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

One is the FM feed, the other the LW feed. LW carries a lot of sport commentary - GAA, horse racing etc. The LW feed on sky also has a much wider satellite footprint to the rest of the RTÉ channels, as it is uplinked on a different transponder (and different satellite craft) altogether.

As for the lack of radio stations on Sky, EPG slots are bloody expensive! For what return they might get from being on sky, it'd hardly be worth their while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I guess the expense wouldn't justify the additional listeners for most stations.

Also, having listeners outside their broadcast area would be of less value to local advertisers for the regional stations.

RTE could do more with their two Radio 1 Stations (RTE Radio Channel 0160 and RTE R1 Extra 0142)

Instead of having the same output almost all of the time, they could show repeats in the evening of Liveline and Mooney, for example.

They could also broadcast more of their archive programmes like the 'Documentary on One' Series, some of which are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

SkidMark wrote: »
    I guess the expense wouldn't justify the additional listeners for most stations.

Also, having listeners outside their broadcast area would be of less value to local advertisers for the regional stations.

RTE could do more with their two Radio 1 Stations (RTE Radio Channel 0160 and RTE R1 Extra 0142)

Instead of having the same output almost all of the time, they could show repeats in the evening of Liveline and Mooney, for example.

They could also broadcast more of their archive programmes like the 'Documentary on One' Series, some of which are excellent.
    Just a small note in regard to having listeners outside their broadcast area, the radio stations would only have to be on Sky Ireland so that wouldn't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

1huge1 wrote: »
    Just a small note in regard to having listeners outside their broadcast area, the radio stations would only have to be on Sky Ireland so that wouldn't be an issue.

My point is that if say, Red FM in Cork want to sell advertising to businesses in Cork, then Cork listeners are more valuable to them than having listeners in Donegal or Dublin.

As far as I can see, the Irish stations (RTE and Newstalk) can be accessed on the UK Sky EPG, so I don't know if their is an option for Irish Stations just to be available to Irish viewers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ah ok I see, I was just thinking of national radio broadcasters that aren't on Sky currently (such as Todayfm although I havent checked in a long time but I assume they still aren't there).

Advertisement