Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shallow Reef Surfboards - Good Or Bad?

Options
  • 07-05-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Does anyone know what these are like? i'm thinking of getting one, but i've never heard of them before and i cant find any reviews to see if they are good quality.
    Anything you can tell me is great. thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

This is what they think of their own boards...

Some local shops have boards shaped by local shapers who know local conditions. If your budget runs to a custom board and you are at least an intermediate then this is your best option:eek:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just love this testimonial

hey cormac

i love the board , its just savage, and i hav'nt even had a go of it yet,
    the girlfriend loves it , see cant belive i got it for her.

i was so close to keeping it for myself, ill let you know how I/she ;-)
    gets on when we get some surf in

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Luke117

yeah, but i never trust what i see on the site itself. i'd never even heard of them when i started looking for my new board. there's no reviews anywhere that wasnt written by them and i think thats a bit weird..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

lol ! "it's an excellent board judging by the looks"

it's good that he has already a positive feeling about the board-- even if the board sucks, he'll try to make it work no matter what so i'd say it's a guaranteed happy costumer there =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

There's no info on the site where the boards are actually made or who the top shapers are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They are cheap because they were made in china. It's hit and miss with a board from china some hold up ok some fall appart. I swas one guy out on a SR min mal and his was fine and he was getting some good waves. We all chiped in and got one for afriends 40th and it dings easily but it still holding up OK and he's happy with how it surfs.

Personally, unless you know your boards and what you want I'd go to shaper or a good shop to get one. Problems is in Dublin there is't really a good surf shop with good selection of boards - please correct me if I'm wrong

• Advertisement

ok. i knew they were made abroad, but i didnt think china.... i think they are made like standard bic surfboards, but i'm goin up to look at one before i buy it, so i should know if its really cheapy

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

where are you based luke?

the shallow reef stuff is real cheap chinese rubbish, fins rip out, dings easy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I had one, but moved it on fairly quickly as I wanted a different sized board, so can't comment on how it holds up. I did lose a fin though on one session...

My nephew has one, and he dinged it easily, though I won't comment on whether that was down to him or the board holding up......

I would go for something better if it were me, but each to their own....

how quickly did you move on? this might sound stupid, but did it have a cheapy feel??

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

the prices of some of the asking second hand boards on adverts are way over the top...

• Advertisement

yeah, i went and looked at those SR boards. definitely not top quality...im goin with an nsp 7'2" instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Luke117 wrote: »
    yeah, i went and looked at those SR boards. definitely not top quality...im goin with an nsp 7'2" instead

a better choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sijdal

hi
    save yourself a pile of money and just buy a second hand epoxy board from a reputable co like nsp (got a SR 6 10 last year dinged on first day out far too much got a second hand nsp 7 2 and havent looked back)
    do have a second hand board looked over though by someone who knows their stuff before you part with cash

Advertisement