Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why choose DIT??

Options
  • 07-05-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Ok so it's that time of year that Leaving Cert students are making there choice of college and Boards is usually a handy option to help people with that choice. I've seen a few threads with people giving negative comments on DIT and I think its time that emphasis is placed on the good things in DIT.
    Every college has their flaws, your not going to get a perfect college!!

So I came up with the idea if past and present students shared 1 thing they like or love about their time in DIT.

Ok, so one thing I love about DIT is the huge amount of societies there is available to students and is a great opportunity to make friends and well honestly make the college experience one to remenber!!!!
    Here's a video of this years Society Awards just to show how many there are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu1tX2Cs5pI

Good Luck with your choice!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

The socs office are fantastic. All you need is 15 signatures and an idea. They actually put money away during the boom and they're only happy to financially back anything you want to get going.

The SU are great as well. Having seen first hand how they've helped a couple of my friends, they've an open door policy which works brilliantly.

By enlarge, the feedback is positive as far as DIT being a good place to study goes. Personally, I'm doing Media Arts and the equipment is top notch. We can requisition it anytime we want for side projects, use the studio for podcasts.

I've never regretted coming to DIT as I enter my fourth year here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I graduated a few years ago from DIT. As a mature engineering student on a very limited budget my degree had to lead to immediate employment. Thanks to the reputation of the course, my exam results and DIT it did just that.

My course is very relevant to the industry I am now find myself working in. DIT tend to focus more on labs and hands on stuff than say UCD, which suited me. As promised the lab classes turned out to be particularly useful when diagnosing problems in "the real world".

The attitude of the lecturers I had was absolutely fantastic. I know of one lecturer that gave up some of his holiday time to tutor students on my course for repeat exams. From what I saw this was typical example of the way staff treated students that tried.

I have while working on different projects I have discovered DIT have very strong links with industry. This helps when looking for work experience and a job.

I would strongly recommend DIT to anyone that has an interest in engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

2011 wrote: »
    The attitude of the lecturers I had was absolutely fantastic. I know of one lecturer that gave up some of his holiday time to tutor students on my course for repeat exams. From what I saw this was typical example of the way staff treated students that tried.

+1

By and large, the lecturers are interested and are also very experienced in their field. I've found that if you're actually trying, the lecturers will go out of their way to help you to do well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

class sizes are a fraction of those seen in TCD or UCD

This allows interaction with lecturers and it makes it easy to get to know your classmates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Go to DIT - A sea of general incompetance awaits you!

The city is our campus -> We could not be bothered investing resources in a real college, here is half of what you get at UCD/TCD/DCU etc.

Don't get me wrong, there are some truly great Lecturers in DIT. The admin really don't give a **** though from my experience. I hope that someday someone in DIT will justify replacing most of em with a small computer script.

The class size thing, yeah it''s great when you cop on to the fact the majority of your class will have probably left the course by that stage. It amazes me how the powers that be can justify funding courses with < 20 people registered at a time. Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention, multiple firedrills during exam time are fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ShamrockGirl

Naikon wrote: »
    Go to DIT - A sea of general incompetance awaits you!

The city is our campus -> We could not be bothered investing resources in a real college, here is half of what you get at UCD/TCD/DCU etc.

Don't get me wrong, there are some truly great Lecturers in DIT. The admin really don't give a **** though from my experience. I hope that someday someone in DIT will justify replacing most of em with a small computer script.

The class size thing, yeah it''s great when you cop on to the fact the majority of your class will have probably left the course by that stage. It amazes me how the powers that be can justify funding courses with < 20 people registered at a time. Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention, multiple firedrills during exam time are fun.

obviously you didn't understand the reason of the thread, just dealing with positive information on DIT!! Thanks for you input but its not required here!! :/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I'm currently studying Business and Management in DIT Aungier Street.

All I can say is I love it! In contrast to the comment above, I've always found the Admin staff to be more than helpful in any dealings I've had with them. Same with lecturers, they were/are all brilliant and more than happy to help students who try. For example I finished lectures last week but 4 of my 6 lecturers are down in the class rooms helping us with what we need to study.

The facilities for studying Business are fine - all you really need facility wise is the Labs and the Library. The Labs are all grand, apart from one that I can think of, computers are all fast and I've never not been able to get one. The Library is good, has a good amount of books in all the subject areas and has all the older editions too so you will always find some version of what you need.

The SU and Access service do brilliant work aswell - you're a member of the SU the second you accept a place in your course and their open door policy is great, they will always help you out if they can.

The course I'm doing, DT365, is marketed as Ireland Premier Business Degree, and from research I've done into other courses I can see why. It covers a really broad range of subjects and you get to do either an Erasmus Year or a Work Placement in 3rd which is great for getting experience. The course director told us some statistics at some point in the year, I can remember exactly, but of the 150 ish students who graduated last year, something like 145 (maybe 135?) of them were in full time employment in their chosen field, and many of the alumni put this down to the Course,its reputation and the College's links to Industry.

Like all college's DIT does have some flaws, the lack of a proper joined up Campus being the main one that I can see, however as far as I am concerned this is made up for in so many other fields. I wouldn't hesitate recommending DIT to anyone, especially DT365 (B.Sc Business and Management).

If any potential Newbies have any Q's about life in DIT Aungier either comment on this thread or drop me a PM and I'll help ya out if I can :)

In fairness, DIT has no shortage of quality Lecturers. For all my moaning, you can't overlook the fact most Lecturers are at the top of their game. Once you go further up the chain(course director for instance) you will begin to see how useless admin can be. Seriously, it's no wonder that teaching staff generally have a better knowledge of the system than the admin people! I can't speak for every college in DIT. Opinion is opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Positives:
    -The stairs are fully operational
    -The ATM is the most reliable piece of technology in Kevin St
    -The fire alarm hasn't gone off recently (one can only assume they are now completely broken)
    -Its a great laugh trying to find a working computer in a lab (like musical chairs without the music or most recently, the chairs)
    -You can play "Find the Wifi" with your mates
    -You can chat to the porters about any problems you're having, or you can doodle a face on the wall, talk to that, and get roughly the same result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Positives:
    -The stairs are fully operational
    -The ATM is the most reliable piece of technology in Kevin St
    -The fire alarm hasn't gone off recently (one can only assume they are now completely broken)
    -Its a great laugh trying to find a working computer in a lab (like musical chairs without the music or most recently, the chairs)
    -You can play "Find the Wifi" with your mates
    -You can chat to the porters about any problems you're having, or you can doodle a face on the wall, talk to that, and get roughly the same result

So you don't have....
    Great lecturers.
    A library which has an amazing quantity of books.
    Huge selection of clubs and society's.
    Cheap copying and printing.

College is what you make of it and if you get hung up over things like wifi etc you're just nitpicking. You can check your facebook when you go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Sitec wrote: »
    So you don't have....
    Great lecturers.
    A library which has an amazing quantity of books.
    Huge selection of clubs and society's.
    Cheap copying and printing.

College is what you make of it and if you get hung up over things like wifi etc you're just nitpicking. You can check your facebook when you go home.

Sure there are plenty of good points about DIT, most of what I said is in the context of Kevin St, but I'm not going to go out of my way to praise them for things that most other colleges have as standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Finite

Personally I think its all recession based flaws to be honest, computer labs, admin staff etc.
    They actually cut admin staff or so I believe and the guys are overworked as is.. mostly sorting out peoples lost passwords .. how heartbreaking is that work :/

It is advisable to have a laptop, not necessary but advisable .. for computer courses I mean .. you have allocated lab time where you will always get a computer but for extra hours you may be doing musical chairs a little if other classes labs are on.

The rest is grand in my opinion.

Finite wrote: »
    Personally I think its all recession based flaws to be honest, computer labs, admin staff etc.
    They actually cut admin staff or so I believe and the guys are overworked as is.. mostly sorting out peoples lost passwords .. how heartbreaking is that work :/

It is advisable to have a laptop, not necessary but advisable .. for computer courses I mean .. you have allocated lab time where you will always get a computer but for extra hours you may be doing musical chairs a little if other classes labs are on.

The rest is grand in my opinion.

The two lads in the Kevin Street Tech office have never been anything less than happy to sort out problems, be it Kerberos authentication issues(damn KDC acting up again), network issues, lost passwords ect. Those two fellas know what they are doing. Downsize the admin office on the second floor and give the techies a raise. They probably see more work in a day than the majority of the admin folk see in a week. John deserves another mention too, as do the handfull of decent Lecturers in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Finite

We are talking about the same thing.. techies/admins .. the people who do the work .. not sure of the titles. *starts slow clap*

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pugsymalone

Generally, the students are sound. No snobs - not in Bolton St anyway. Bodkins is great. Lecturers know what they're talking about (and I went to another college before DIT). Computer Labs are good (in Bolton St anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mightyz

class sizes are a fraction of those seen in TCD or UCD

This allows interaction with lecturers and it makes it easy to get to know your classmates
    yeah, but its hard when it comes to choose from optional modules as most ppl tend to choose "easy ones". so less ppl = less chance for some sophisticated (hard ;) ) module.

Advertisement