Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems I was proven right

Options
  • 07-05-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Earlier I started a thread about Religion:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056261217

But it wasnt like the usual threads that appear on AH about religion. This wasnt about criticising the church, mocking somebodys beliefs etc. This thread was taking a positive views towards Religion. Shockingly it was locked almost straight away. The fact is that what I put in that thread didnt mean anything to me. I just copied it from somewhere else. All I wanted to do was prove a point.

Constantly AH is being flooded with negative religious threads which the Mods seem more than happy to leave open. Yet the second a positive one is created it gets locked and Im told to go to the religion forum. Double standards. Why not lock them all?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Take it to feedback tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

To Feedback from AH.
    You can PM the closing mod Micky Dolenz about the lock and see if you can come to a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

biko wrote: »
    To Feedback from AH.
    You can PM the closing mod Micky Dolenz about the lock and see if you can come to a solution?

Cheers Biko, I'll PM Micky.

Whats your opinion as a Mod though? Do I not raise a fair point?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Whats your opinion as a Mod though? Do I not raise a fair point?

Considering the majority of your posts are in AH, do you not have a feel for the general flavour of threads on that forum?

I'm having trouble understanding why this is such a surprise to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I closed it and referred you to the appropriate forum. I had also closed another God thread this morning.

I am failing to see what the issue is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

He's making a statement about how atheist/Christian-bashing threads aren't moved to A&A but left open in AH for at least a few pages, while religious threads that take a pro-religion stance get locked or moved to the Christianity forum. (I think, anyway.)

As an atheist even I have to admit he does have a point. A little more consistency would go a long way. Either allow both, or disallow/move both, but there's no point in allowing one but not the other - all it'll do is build up resentment and that's about the last thing AH needs any more of.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

liah wrote: »
    He's making a statement about how atheist/Christian-bashing threads aren't moved to A&A but left open in AH for at least a few pages, while religious threads that take a pro-religion stance get locked or moved to the Christianity forum. (I think, anyway.)

As an atheist even I have to admit he does have a point. A little more consistency would go a long way. Either allow both, or disallow/move both, but there's no point in allowing one but not the other - all it'll do is build up resentment and that's about the last thing AH needs any more of.

That's all well and good, but do you know how many threads and posts are made in AH on a daily basis? A truck load, it is impossible to catch them all.

Consistency is a hard thing in a forum with such high volume of traffic and no matter what we do, not everyone will be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

That's all well and good, but do you know how many threads and posts are made in AH on a daily basis? A truck load, it is impossible to catch them all.

Consistency is a hard thing in a forum with such high volume of traffic and no matter what we do, not everyone will be happy.

Oh no, I get that, but I mean, I've seen AH mods post in the threads before as regular posters. Consistency also applies to how the mods function - something needs to be decided in a concrete manner and all mods should know for sure what to do (or not do, if that's the way it goes) when it comes to these types of threads. Has there ever been any kind of solid decision on this? And if so, what was it?

And I mean, some of the atheist/religion-bashing ones go on for days or at least stay near the top of the list for the day, I find it hard to believe that no mod would see them for such extended periods of time? I mean, I can completely understanding there being maybe a few hours or whatever when no mods are on, but like.. some of it is clearly at least some level of (subconscious or conscious) bias.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Are these God bashing threads by design or are they threads about God which become atheist in nature by virtue of majority viewpoint? Or is it a bit of both.
    The majority view point in after hours would not be a christian / pro-religion one so perhaps the perception is because of that.

Advertisement