Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Retailers food and others

Options
  • 07-05-2011 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Been hearing a lot lately about the fact that online retailers selling and shipping good from Asia to Aus don't have to pay GST. Apparently you can get some brilliant deals on cloths, electronics and the likes from sites operating out of Hong Kong and that. Just wondering does anyone know any of these sites? GF has come across one, http://us.strawberrynet.com/skincare/ that are US based I think but ship from Hong Kong-they seem real cheap. Does anyone know of ones specifically operating out of Asia?

Also, the weekly shop here... myself and the gf have figured out we can spend about $65 between us for the week and have a decent dinner each evening and bring a lunch to work. This has come down a lot in the past few weeks as we started shopping around and have found Coles to be the cheapest-once you go outside of the CBD that is. Any of them in around the city centre are mad expensive. Would the general view be that Coles is the cheapest(outside of Aldi that is who I don't think have a great selection of food)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

You can buy up to $1000 worth of goods at time before you have to pay GST on it, from anywhere in the world, not just Asia.

You don't say which city you are in? (edit: I just noticed your username, I presume you are in Melbun)
    Coles in the CBD in Melbourne (Elizabeth st) is crap, small and nothing is ever on special.
    Head down to Coles on Clarendon St, South Melbourne, they have specials on lots of stuff every week. Woolworths is also just off Clarendon st (it's on Market St). Aldi is across the road from Woolworths on Market st.

No cheap food or bargains to be had within the CBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Not true go down to Queen Victoria Market just before it closes on a Sunday and you can pick up cheap food at bargain prices in most of the butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Just be careful in the market. They wave nice juicy pieces of meat at you and them when you buy pick them from elsewhere which are rubbish cuts of meat. Always keep your eye on them.

Advertisement