Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to work in the US

Options
  • 07-05-2011 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I lived in the US for 3 months a number of years ago and loved it straight away. I didn't want to come back but unfortunately my 3 month visa was up and I had to come back.

Even now I'd still love to live and work there but getting a visa seems almost impossible. I work in IT and I work for an american company, unfortunately I am only a contractor with them so I'm unable to transfer to one of their US offices on an L visa.

Just wondering has anyone else here succeeded in getting IT work in the US? I don't have a degree either so I'm not sure if I'd qualify for a H1-B.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I've some friends who worked for Google in Ireland and then got transfered, but all the IT people I know who got work straight in the US were programmers, years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Unfortunately I think those big companies only do that if you are a permanent employee with them. I'm currently working as a contractor so that's not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭myleftfoot

G-Money wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think those big companies only do that if you are a permanent employee with them. I'm currently working as a contractor so that's not an option.

What is your skill? The Valley is in desperate need of open source developers, PHP, RoR, MySql etc.

If you've got these skills on your resume, can point to work you've done online then I think you'd be safe in getting a job.

Thing is tho that the skill level over there is very very high, and the work demand would be the same. You could get lucky and be involved with a start-up that becomes huge.

I work in the software end, but don't do much programming, at least not yet. I've got a little C# and Perl experience but that is it and it wouldn't be much to write home about either.

I'm thinking about training up as either a C#/.Net developer or Java developer. However I keep thinking the main stumbling block is getting a visa. I don't have a permanent job at the moment (working as a contractor) so I can't transfer internally with a company using that L visa. So that leaves me with the H-1B. Which are as rare as hen's teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭myleftfoot

G-Money wrote: »
    I work in the software end, but don't do much programming, at least not yet. I've got a little C# and Perl experience but that is it and it wouldn't be much to write home about either.

I'm thinking about training up as either a C#/.Net developer or Java developer. However I keep thinking the main stumbling block is getting a visa. I don't have a permanent job at the moment (working as a contractor) so I can't transfer internally with a company using that L visa. So that leaves me with the H-1B. Which are as rare as hen's teeth.

If you wanna go to California go with Java and the open source technologies.

• Advertisement

myleftfoot wrote: »
    If you wanna go to California go with Java and the open source technologies.

Good to know.

Although if I had a choice, the pacific northwest (Seattle) would be my preferred option.

Just resurrecting my own thread.

What's the IT market like over there now? I'd love to go back to live in the pacific northwest however I'm not permanent with my company so a transfer is out of the question.

Would love to live and work in the US but getting an employer to even consider it seems possible.

I work in the software end of things but I'm not a developer, although I am working at improving my .net skills.

Advertisement