Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with new build (electrical noise)

Options
  • 07-05-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

I had thread here recently about upgrading my image editing system.

Basically, I upgraded to: mainboard(MSI P67A-GD53), CPU(i5 2500K with stock cooler), memory(16Gb) and added an SSD for my apps and OS. While keeping my existing case, PSU(500w Antec), drives (2 x 500Gb and 2 x 1Tb) and GFX Card(8800 GTX).

Well, I got all the parts and put it all together, and all seems to be running fine. Does exactly what I wanted it to do, but...

There's an audible electrical noise coming from what I think is the PSU (that's where it seems loudest anyways). It's like a faint whine or whistle if that makes any sense. While not that loud, it's constant (for the most part, seems to temporarily disappear for a second or two when the CPU is doing something) and is the most annoying sound in the world.

The PSU was working perfectly with my other setup, so I'm wondering if one of the new components is causing it? :confused:

Another thing that's slightly worrying me, is that my CPU seems to be idling at about 50+ degrees. Surely this can't be right, could it be related to the noise? :confused: I re-applied the thermal compound yesterday to see if it made any difference, but it didn't.

As I said, the system seems to be working well at the moment (although I haven't had the chance to put it through it's paces properly yet), but that noise is just unacceptable and the CPU temp is worrying me.

Any help in narrowing down what's causing the noise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

What is the exact PSU model? Antec should be pretty good though, though only one that might not be up to scratch is the original Basiq 500W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

It's an "Antec NEOHE 500 GB 500-Watt PSU, SLI, Low speed 80mm fan"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

How old is the PSU? They sometimes get a bit noisier when their older.
    Actually, I asked you that in an earlier thread, I think. That's an older model anyway. I don't think that that version had any issues like some models at the time with bad capacitors, but you could open it up if you wanted to take a look.

I had a similar issue with another PSU, it didn't die even after a good while but you might want to upgrade it in a while or disguise/hide the noise.

That's too high for a 2500K. You either have bad readings or you'll need to take off the heatsink and reapply thermal paste.

Monotype wrote: »
    How old is the PSU? They sometimes get a bit noisier when their older.
    Actually, I asked you that in an earlier thread, I think. That's an older model anyway. I don't think that that version had any issues like some models at the time with bad capacitors, but you could open it up if you wanted to take a look.

I had a similar issue with another PSU, it didn't die even after a good while but you might want to upgrade it in a while or disguise/hide the noise.

That's too high for a 2500K. You either have bad readings or you'll need to take off the heatsink and reapply thermal paste.

Think I bought the PSU around 2006/2007. So do you think I should take a chance on a new PSU then, any suggestions for a good one? Strange that it wasn't emmiting this noise with the older board/CPU/RAM combo I had though.

As for the CPU, is there much point in getting a third party cooler for it? Maybe it is a bad reading as you said, the system is actually running extremely well in terms of performing the tasks I built it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Are you sure it is the PSU? Inductor coils on the mainboard can make a high pitched squealing noise - the noise would often vary with CPU load so it sounds like it could be possibly be the cause in your case (no pun intended :P)

• Advertisement

Kensington wrote: »
    Are you sure it is the PSU? Inductor coils on the mainboard can make a high pitched squealing noise - the noise would often vary with CPU load so it sounds like it could be possibly be the cause in your case (no pun intended :P)

Is there anything that can be done about the coils other than replacing the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You can also get coil whine from your GPU. That's the first thing I'd look at, especially in such an old card.

Advertisement