Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pie pastry help needed

Options
  • 07-05-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I've promised the little one we will make a chicken and ham pie for dinner and make our own pastry etc. Ive found the recipes for making the pastry online and they look simple enough.

My problem is I don't have anything to measure the flour and butter in. I've no scales or measuring jugs. Would I make an absolute balls of it if I just measured it out in mugs? Does it have to be exact?

Has anyone any idiot proof ways of making simply pie pastry without using exact measurements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I think you'll be fine. Just use an american recipe like this:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Flaky-and-Tasty-Pastry/Detail.aspx

half that recipe should do you for a large dinner pie.
    Use a smallish mug or cup as your guide, and a deep tablespoon. If you are halving that recipe, still use one whole egg, it will make it richer.
    Have fun!

Also, my parents got me into baking from a young age by making pastry together (and letting me use and bake the offcuts as a "cake for the birdies")
    I think it's a great thing to do with your kids- just think in 20 years the yummie cakes you'll get as gifts as a result! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

quarter pack of butter. 1 egg yolk. and one sieve's worth of flour. 1 cup of water or milk. this is the best i can do. works every time for me. if you like double it so you have enough. better too much than too little :D i never use recipies turns out delicious

Advertisement