Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

indian food in or around castleknock/blanch

Options
  • 07-05-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Is there any places around ye would recommmend,not looking for a take-away as bombay pantry is around the corner.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lil-ms-vodka

There's an indian in Ongar, could be worth a shot there years

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

There's an indian in Ongar, could be worht a shot there years
    Well if it's there years thats a good sign,any idea of the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lil-ms-vodka

http://www.jaipur.ie/

have eaten in the Georges St one a few yrs ago, was very nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Jaipur seem to have some problem putting in their prices on the main menu online.

I wonder why, is it overly expensive, or do they charge different rates in the restaurants? Either way I don't like it.

I go to the Poppadom (over Brady's pub in Castleknock)when I feel like eating Indian. This is their a la carte, prices and all.

http://poppadom.ie/index.php?c=pages&id_page=19

The fish in this starter is devine, at least it is to me, anyway.

Fish Amritsar €7.50
    Fresh cubes of cod or haddock, doused in aplethora of spices,
    lime and gram flour, deep-fried. Goes very well with our rings of
    red onion and tamarind chutney, this shack spicial is the
    bestseller outside every off-licence in the Punjab region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jaipur is fantastic, always had great food there and their early bird is also great.

The one over Bradys seems to change hands/names every couple of weeks at this stage which is never a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

theres shimla in clonsilla

havent been there in about 6 yrs though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

jaipur in ongar is the best this side of the city imho. great food and great service, maybe a little more expensive than the others but its worth it.
    and im damn fussy about my curries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I don't rate Jaipur at all...their menu is too fancified for my liking, I don't need all sorts of weird things in my curry.

The place over Brady's has a huge ownership/name turnaround..it's hard to keep track of it. It's been shut down a couple of times by the food safety authority in recent years, though not as Poppadom as far as I know. I've eaten there a few times, but outside of their early bird it can be pricey.

My favourite Indian takeaway is Indie at Home...yummy....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

The two best places by a large margin are Jaipur in Ongar and the Bombay Pantry (takeaway only) in Ashtown.

Jaipur do a good early-bird, although I've found the quality has deteriorated quite a bit over the last year or two. It may be the full evening menu is still good, but I haven't tried it in a long time.

I'm interested in trying the new Okra Green in Castleknock Village. There was a branch in Howth before that I've heard good things about. Technically it's Pakistani, but whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

athtrasna wrote: »
    I don't need all sorts of weird things in my curry..

You're sure you like curries ;)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Shimla is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

athtrasna wrote: »
    The place over Brady's has a huge ownership/name turnaround..it's hard to keep track of it. It's been shut down a couple of times by the food safety authority in recent years, though not as Poppadom as far as I know. I've eaten there a few times, but outside of their early bird it can be pricey.

I went to the place over Brady's years ago under previous management and thought it was rubbish (purple-coloured rice and other monstrosities), but the Poppadom chain has a very good reputation - I've gone to the Newland's Cross takeaway regularly and it's good (if a bit expensive). Might be willing to give Brady's a second chance.

I'd second the recommendations for Jaipur and Bombay Pantry, both good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I found the one above bradies to be grand. There's also a new one opened a few months ago in castleknock on the corner of the plaza (where the japanese restaurant was before) with the spar in it, a few people have said its meant to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I found the one above bradies to be grand. There's also a new one opened a few months ago in castleknock on the corner of the plaza (where the japanese restaurant was before) with the spar in it, a few people have said its meant to be nice.

+1 on Poppadom, (over Brady's) have had both sit down and take away over the last three years and have never been dissapointed.

Indie at Home, is also excellent.

Shimla, is a complete mystery you never see anyone in the place.

Forgot about Indie at Home, that's where we get our deliveries from as Jaipur don't deliver, or didn't last time I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

I went for a sit down meal in the new Indian restaurant in Castleknock Village. I think its called okra. Very nice. They didn't seem to be doing takeaway though.
    +1 on Indie at home too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

dtf wrote: »
    I went for a sit down meal in the new Indian restaurant in Castleknock Village.

Pakistani I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pallas Athena

Delhy Darbar in Clonee is only gorgeous. They deliver to the D15 area.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

+1 on Poppadum, it's one of the best Indians I've ever had in Dublin. Atmosphere can be a bit dead, depending on when you go, but food has always been top notch. Best of all, they do BYO. Not sure how much they charge for corkage though as have only ever ordered wine off the menu but next time I'll definitely be bringing my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pallas Athena

Is this the one beside Brady's? They changed hands about a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Is this the one beside Brady's? They changed hands about a year ago.

Yeah they were taken over by the Poppadom chain http://poppadom.ie/

Really nice food. Much smaller menu than most Indians but a lot of "different" dishes that you wouldn't necessarily see everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Just back from Poppadom...sweet Jesus what a good feed! Was quiet to begin with but filled up about 9. Very reasonable prices and a complimentary drink at the end, definitely going back!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've heard a lot of great things about Poppadom. I must get myself there soon. I love Indian food.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The Shimla remains my favourite Indian outside of London... They don't deliver, but do collections, with 20% off when you do. Like the Burger King, 'You'll think you've robbed us' ad.

Have never had anything that didn't taste good from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

New Indian opening in Tyrellstown, Dublin 15 on Friday 20th May at 5pm... called Tanjore Palace... They have a branch in Limerick and seem to be good value...

Got a take away from there this evening. Giving it's only their second evening open it was very tasty, they don't have their tandoori or full take away menu yet, you order from the main menu but signs are good, lots of new things to me.

But there was one guy in there complaining, quite unnecessary really, all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 manbearpig

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Got a take away from there this evening. Giving it's only their second evening open it was very tasty, they don't have their tandoori or full take away menu yet, you order from the main menu but signs are good, lots of new things to me.

But there was one guy in there complaining, quite unnecessary really, all things considered.

Anyone else give this a go?

Was thinking of heading up there tomorrow eve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Haven't gotten a chance to give it a go yet, have the take away menu here though and it all sounds great and very reasonable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Jaipur and Shimla are both excellent.

Jaipur : A bit on the expensive side and some of their dishes are westernised and not as authentic, though other dishes are excellent and unique to the point where you don't really get anything like it in Ireland. This is specific to the Jaipur in Ongar though, the one in George St. is a waste of money as far as I'm concerned though I haven't eaten at that one in a couple of years.

Recommended dishes (if eating in): Bhatti Murgh, Aloo Tikki(potato cakes with a trio of chutneys), Paneer Jalfrezi, Chicken Biryani. Their early bird is decentish.

Shima: Hands down my favorite Indian restaurant in Ireland. Very reasonably priced, great food and most of their dishes have a very authentic feel and distinct flavors unlike many other Indian restaurants where they are all essentially slight variations of the same base curry.

They have an excellent Sunday 'buffet' deal from 12:30 - 5pm. Any starter + Any main course + rice or nan for ten euros, fifty cent. The portions are excellent as well.

Recommended dishes:

Starters: Chicken Tikka. Stuffed peppers with chicken or lamb.

Main Courses: Balti, Handi, Bhuna, Garlic Bhuna and Shashlikh are all wonderful. Though I wouldn't recommend their Biryani (can make better at home.)

For a tenner each it's well worth a pop, and we go most Sundays.

Haven't yet tried poppadom but heard good things about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Tried the early bird in Poppadom above Bradys a couple of weeks ago - it was really bad. The starter was so inauthentic it was a joke - some fish deep fried with spices (pretty bland), and an old-school Irish "salad" of undressed lettuce leaves, a slice of tomato, and an entire one-inch slice of red onion.

The mains had no depth of flavour, and both different dishes tasted like they had same sauce.

The service was nice and friendly, so I didn't say anything, but by god it awful stuff. I don't know how places like this get away with it.

Advertisement