Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using Volunteerism to meet people (as well as helping others)

• 07-05-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭

This might sound a little bit selfish, but anyhow, I'll ask anyway.

I'm in a city where I know very few people, so it was suggested to me on many occassions that I should try volunteerism.

I've volunteered with Spercial Olympics Ireland a few years ago, but fancy trying something else.

Can anyone recommend any volunteering groups where I'd be able to help a cause alongside my desire to get out and meet people of my own age - early 30's?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

There are a lot worse reasons to volunteer than to meet others. Tell us what kind of work you'd like to do and we can give some ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'm not sure - I'd not like anything too heavy as I've never really volunteered before. It might seem harsh, but anything with a lot of emotional burden would not suit me.

I'd like something active where the volunteers are roughly in and around my own age group. Due to work commitments I'm unable to commit anything which requires me to have responsibility as sometimes I work late/weekends etc.

Other than that I'm open to suggestions. Cancer charities get a significant amount of charity airplay and resources so I'd like to help out a lesser known charity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

how old are you funkey monkey and where abouts are you located in Dublin it might help us point you in right direction

I'm 33yo and located in Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

I'm 33yo and located in Belfast.

St. John Ambulance provide first aid and some community care! Thats all I can think of "off the cuff" for Belfast.

There was a Secret Millionaire Episode filmed in Belfast but it appears to have gone of 4OD. You may be able to find it on youtube based on the link above. It was a very good episode so may give you some ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

go online to check your local volunteer centre. You should be able to see all available volunteer jobs in your area listed. VCI used to be the one in Ireland. Not sure for the North, try googling Volunteer Centre Belfast and see how you get on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I'm kinda in the same frame of mind as the OP. I've never volunteered before, but would like to with the added bonus of meeting people my own age. I'm 30 and from Dublin. I've considered Childline too. I know they're always looking for people, and wouldn't mind having a look into it. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I was in the Johns ambulance for years its a great way to meet people and get into gigs free. ;)

There is also the red cross.

Outside that if you feel you would like to contribute more you can join the youth service as a volenteer or focus point or someother shelter.

Thanks for all the replies - and apologies for the delay in replying - ain't been on here in a while.

I did volunteer ages ago for Special Olympics Ireland, but I don't think I'd like to go down that avenue again.

Thanks.

Advertisement