Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphics card upgrade

Options
  • 07-05-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

hiya,

posting for my bf; he's looking at upgrading some part of his pc, the graphics he said (i'm a mac, so i just look pretty when he talks pc :) )

erm, he has a 4850x2 i think it is, his writing is a bit poor.

and he's looking at a 6950 2gb from dabs.ie.

is this a good card? what is the alternative? 300e would be beyond what he wants to spend but he's looking for a good quality upgrade over the x2.

any help would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

maameeo wrote: »
    and he's looking at a 6950 2gb from dabs.ie.

is this a good card? what is the alternative? 300e would be beyond what he wants to spend but he's looking for a good quality upgrade over the x2.

any help would be appreciated. :)

The X2 is still a pretty decent card, but the 6950 would serve as a good upgrade, with that particular model (the 2GB 6950) you can do the shader unlock which would give him a bit more performance, for free :D

The alternative would be the GTX560Ti, or possibly a GTX570 (if its on sale).

In terms of performance, it would go. 560ti - 6850 - 570.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/8732945/art/gainward/geforce-gtx-570-phantom-1.html

Theres a link to a 570 which is just inside the budget, that would offer the best performance under €300. I think for a price/performance card, you cant beat the 6950 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

hi,

bf here!

yeah, the 2gb - i heard it can be flashed to unlock shaders but only if its a reference model? so that rules out the 810mhz models and also the fancy cooler solutions right?

the x2 is getting a bit long in the tooth really at this stage; i'm only playing at 1680x1050 but I can't play new games on the highest of settings without pretty average performance.

would the 2gb on the 6950 not be better than the 1.25 on the 570? Idk when i'd upgrade to a hd monitor but lets say i stick with the 1680 res and highest settings in games (some old ones, and whatever is coming)

my pc specs are solid enough so gpu is my weak point at the mo.

thanks for the reply.

yeah, the 2gb - i heard it can be flashed to unlock shaders but only if its a reference model? so that rules out the 810mhz models and also the fancy cooler solutions right?

would the 2gb on the 6950 not be better than the 1.25 on the 570? Idk when i'd upgrade to a hd monitor but lets say i stick with the 1680 res and highest settings in games (some old ones, and whatever is coming)

Honestly, Im not sure if the non-reference PCB's would or not, lemme know which model exactly and I can check for you.

2GB only makes a difference in very high resolutions (like 2560x1140) and even then, the 570 would still probably produce the same FPS as its the better GPU. Both will serve you fine for the next few years at 1920x1080 (my 5850 is fine on any game at that res and its a generation old at this stage) and even longer at 1680x1050.

Both are excellent cards, 570 is more powerful, 6950 is cheaper. Pick your poison :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

eh, it was one of the asus 2gb amd card, clocked to 810mhz on dabs.

cheers for the input. I might stretch to the 570, its been a while since i upgraded and a graphic refresh would be sweet. id like to see some of the nicer effects in games :)

thanks for the replies.

eh, it was one of the asus 2gb amd card, clocked to 810mhz on dabs.

cheers for the input. I might stretch to the 570, its been a while since i upgraded and a graphic refresh would be sweet. id like to see some of the nicer effects in games :)

thanks for the replies.

From what I can gather, only reference cards can unlock, which means the Asus one Im looking at (the DirectCUII) will not unlock the shaders. Also, dabs have recently upgraded their computers and orders are all over the place apparently (read it on a thread here on boards)

The 570's a great card. Overclocks pretty damn well too :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

gtx 480 if you have good cooling, gtx 560 ti - the msi overclocked one with better cooling, or gtx 570, expensive, but quieter and cooler than the 480.

I'm getting one of those but I'm restricted to nvidia because I got a 3d hd monitor and nvidia vision 3d set, so not sure how the ati compares.

570 is best but I'll probably wait until it's cheaper. 480 seems to be a good deal if you have good cooling though. It's not much different and at £195ish, way cheaper, with more energy draw howeva.

Im nearly sure the 6xxx series from ATi can do 3D, Tar.

Agree on the 480, powerful but akin to having a small oven in your case compared to the 5xx series :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yep, just not possible with my monitor, or the 3d vision set which needs an nvidia driver to activate it. the 480 is supposed to be loud too, i saw the 570 for 207£ recently which I would snap up now if i saw it again.

even cheaper 480 found http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-134-OK

Advertisement