Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why does everyone want faster speeds?

• 07-05-2011 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,41252,00.asp

A good article indeed - the points are still quite valid!

Just how fast do you want it?? -- I am on a 450Mhz AMD and unless i have many things running,my ram is used up,etc its plenty fast for me!!

I dont see the desire for faster and faster stuff,does anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

because we want to do things that require more speed..? Ok sure some peoples needs are pretty small so they don't require fast machines... that's not really the situation in my case.
    I think you pretty much just answered your own question though, those who need more, get more, those you don't, either don't or just get one anyway as they don't know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭kirving

I don't wan't to waste my time waiting for a computer, I have better things to be doing! I spend enough of my life in front of a computer, so I want it to be as nice an expreience as possible.

If having a very good computer that will handle almost anything I try and do on it only costs me €1500 all in, I think that is an absolute bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I want to play games that have been written with multiple core processors in mind, I want to run an absolute ****load of vsts at the same time when using my chosen DAW, I want multiple VMs running without having to restrict them to a tiny amount of memory... As cheesy as it might sound, I want computing without boundaries!

While it might suit my mum to have a basic PC which can barely multitask 2 apps without the CPU and memory usage spiking, it doesn't suit me at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,576 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I HAVE THE POWER!

he-man.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Dude111 wrote: »

Just how fast do you want it?? -- I am on a 450Mhz AMD and unless i have many things running,my ram is used up,etc its plenty fast for me!!

I take your point for the average user but I'm obsessed with getting every bit I can out of my processor. I've an intel dual core 2 T8300 2.4ghz processor and it runs faster then some of my colleagues i3 and i5's. Why? Because they dont take care of their PC's. And I think as long as people (average users) dont (know how to) take care of their PC's there'll always be a need for faster computers in their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,576 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

pc's naturally slow down over time even with careful management and rebuilds
    so you gots ta get the latest and greatest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I want to play the latest games on a triple HD monitor setup, I want to edit and convert HD video to play back on my ipad, I want to batch process several gigabytes of RAW image files and I want to do all that in a reasonable time frame.

If all I wanted to do was browse the internet and send emails, I probably wouldn't want a fast PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Skerries wrote: »
    pc's naturally slow down over time even with careful management and rebuilds
    so you gots ta get the latest and greatest

I would tend to disagree there. A computer doesn't just slow down. There's always a reason. It's more a case of you don't realise what's slowing it down. If you reformatted the PC then it'd most likely, unless your hardware has suffered damage, be back at least very close to it's original speeds. Over time of course what's slow and what's fast change in definition very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I am on a 450Mhz AMD and unless i have many things running,my ram is used up,etc its plenty fast for me!!

I use my PC for very few things outside of Gaming these days, but when i do use it, i have zero patience. for years ive been this way. when i built PC's for my dads clients, i remember almost ripping my hair out waiting for win98 to install or a program to start. but my housemate is perfectly happy with her laptop taking 5 min to boot. (im so impatient i bought an SSD) but im on the internet/emails 24/7 on my phone for the rest of the time.

and my phone has a 1Ghz processor so kinda runs around your AMD thingy (though you cant compare the 2 properly.)

EDIT: actually, how do you get by on that thing?
    currently, Opera (Web browser) is using up 350mb of ram on my PC, and i only have 8 tabs open.
    Are you using internet explorer 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

The fact that the article is from 2001 says it all really.

The trend for the average home/business user has not really been to do more faster, but to do more simultaneously- tabbed browsing while listening to music, running Office etc. all at the same time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement