Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a new chainsaw in Galway

Options
  • 07-05-2011 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

On 28 april 2011 I purchased a new chainsaw from Ivors in Shantalla in Galway, a reputable dealer so I didn't really shop around beforehand. The cost of the chainsaw was €370 (down from €390!). On returning home I was informed by a friend that he had purchased the chainsaw in question (Proplus) very recently for somewhere in the region of €200. I didn't believe him 'til I checked around. The exact same chainsaw is available from one outlet in Cork for €194 and from a number of other outlets at under €250. I contacted Victors and after numerous efforts finally got to speak to the owner. He was both arrogant and dismissive - he shouted at me that I was paying for the spare parts which he keeps in stock and he had other customers to deal with, bye bye.
    I am presuming the it is a case of "buyer beware" and there is little I can do now? The chainsaw is working well. A lesson learned for me I suppose - for others out there shop around!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I am presuming the it is a case of "buyer beware" and there is little I can do now?
    Looking for a refund because you found it cheaper elsewhere is a change of mind. It would be nice if he offered you a refund or the difference back, but he is under no legal obligation to. Very much buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

He advertises a price - it's up to you to decide if that price is worth paying.

Nothing you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I stopped reading at "I didn't really shop around"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This thread should be in the rip-off forum just to show that some Irish retailers are still taking the piss, and aren't keeping up with the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

ejmaztec wrote: »
    This thread should be in the rip-off forum just to show that some Irish retailers are still taking the piss, and aren't keeping up with the programme.

Taking the piss? Some customers are simply giving it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

JustinOval wrote: »
    Taking the piss? Some customers are simply giving it away.

It's a good job us lycra-suited consumer warriors are here to educate them in this dog eat dog world.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 scanorak

lots of cheapo imitation chainsaws on the go , comming in from the far east the can look the part alright until you go and use them.
    The problem is that the fakes are causing a distortion in prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

i was thinkin of getting one of those,did you use it much,how did you find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Beartla

I have already cut two fairly large trees into logs and no problem so far. It has a one year warranty. It uses quite alot of petrol and oil for the blade in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would also question, whether you were charged the correct price - 370 for a pro plus chainsaw is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Beartla wrote: »
    Ivors in Shantalla in Galway, a reputable dealer

lol!

ivors and reputable in the same sentence!

Yes I learned the hard way, just want others to be aware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

OP what model was it ? Would it have been this one :

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tools/2027823

This seems good value if the make are any good.

Yes this is exactly the one which Ivors in Galway sold for €370, without any instructions or safety euipment.

It works well enough although I don't use it regularly. That certainly seems to be a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Thanks for the reply and certainly didn't and don't mean to "rub salt into the wound". It's an okay saw in your opinion then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

skelliser wrote: »
    lol!

ivors and reputable in the same sentence!
    l.o.l......ya didint ask around before ya bought the saw.....<SNIP> .....try bringing it back if it breaks and see what answer he gives..

The saw is OK, not a top model but will do all I want it to do. It wouldn't be able for huge amounts of work in my opinion. I received the safety equipment and instructions from McGloughlins in Dublin in the meantime as a good will gesture.
    I would never go back to Ivors after the way he dealt with us. All I wanted to do was to make others aware of the awful rip-off taking place. I have moved on and lets say a lesson has been learned!

Advertisement