Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea pig's nails

• 07-05-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I got a guinea pig recently and was just wondering when should i clip her nails?! i've read stuff in books, online and watched videos online about it, just dont know how long i should let them grow.

Sorry photos are so big. First photo is her front paws, second is her back.

DSCF2981.jpg?t=1304794374
    DSCF2983.jpg?t=1304794421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

They look ok at the moment but I wouldn't let them get much longer.
    You can get little clippers from pet shops and vets, its not as easy as you think, they won't sit still, so get someone to hold her, hold the foot in one hand and trim just the bare tip off. Its easier to trim a small bit often than a lot rarely. Better for the piggy too. You're lucky her nails are pale you should be able to see the vein in them, don't cut too close to that.
    Get her used to it from a young age. I used to use a bit of dandylion leaf to distract mine, they love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Can a normal human nail clipper be used aswell? Thanks for youre help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have used one in the past but the nail clippers for pets are much easier to use. I got one for about €3 in the vets. Said on pack for cats, rabbits and small dogs but would be good for piggies too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Can a normal human nail clipper be used aswell? Thanks for youre help :)

they sell guinea pig ones at the pet shop, they would work better i'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Front ones just look a bit long well more sharp than long the back ones look ok for now with the front ones now you probably will get away with just snipping off the pointed ends.
    Maybe keep a slab of rough stone or paving slab in their cage between their food bowl and their bedding so they have no choice but to walk over it regularly that will keep their nails trim and saves the need to cut them as much as pigs get older their nails can curl around a bit so if you can keep them trimmed naturally all the better.

I used a regular human nail clippers but find the scissors-like clippers for small animals was handy too. Wrap the piggies in a towel which will help and as said have someone distract them with some food.

If you accidently cut the nail too short and it starts bleeding (hopefully that won't happen esp. as their nails are light) just have some of that stuff you can buy online can't think of the name of it it's like a powder quick stop powder or something it's called but if you can't get it mix a little water with flour to make a paste and put a little on the bleeding nail.

If nervous or unsure at first have an experience piggy person or vet show you or start by cutting the nails only a little to start with and as you get more confident and the pigs get more used to it cut a bit shorter.

Can we have some piccies of the pigs little face as well, have you just the one? If so do look in to getting a second one if yours is female another female is a good idea. Ideally they should be kept in pairs at least.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for the replies guys! :)

Sigma: stuck up some photos on the post your pet pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

@Edgedinblue just had a look at the pics, she's so cute! Love the one of her having a nap.

haha! its all she does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Just to let you know, if you haven't seen it already, there's a new Irish guinea pig forum, it's really good for getting advice and all :)

http://irishguineapigs.findtalk.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_health/nail_clippers_and_paw_care/dog_nail_clippers/13361 These are the ones I use, they're quite small, and it snips the nails neatly, the flat ones press the nail and make one of my pigs screech, so I stopped using it. Her quick looks easy to see in those pics, that's great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

my trick is to feed them their veg and fruit while your doing it , they dont notice anything but food then :D

Advertisement