Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just had someone reverse into me, think it was an insurance setup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

@demag
    Fair play for having the presence of mind to make an audio recording.

I like your attitude in the recordings.

Hope you hang them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

I would have a chat with lawyer. I my home country only recording made on magnetic tape can be used as evidence in court. Video from phone would have no use at all. Have no idea about Ireland though.

I really hope you get some CCTV footage.

Time to get dashboard camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I've heard of another scam like this where someone bumps into you and you get out of the car to check the damage (without switching the car off in the heat of the moment) and then they hop into your car and drive off.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

Sickening. Happened to us before, woman walked out behind the car as we were pulling out of a parking space and pretended wed hit her, two acclomplices promptly rushed over sayin theyd seen it all.. outside a pub with cctv, gaurds got the tape saw they were lying. I hope you get footage it just sorted us out so quickly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

natsuko wrote: »
    Sickening. Happened to us before, woman walked out behind the car as we were pulling out of a parking space and pretended wed hit her, two acclomplices promptly rushed over sayin theyd seen it all.. outside a pub with cctv, gaurds got the tape saw they were lying. I hope you get footage it just sorted us out so quickly..

This scam is increasing common - heard of it happen in Mervue Ind Estate Galway a couple of weeks ago.
    The driver of the car was taken to a cash machin and paid off the guy he "knocked down" there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

On a related issue - when an accident like this happens and the Gardai are needed, do you call 999 or just the local station number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

This country is going down the tubes fast..... Freedom for Tooting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Hearing horrible sh*t like this makes me wonder about getting one of them dashboard cams.
    demag wrote: »
    I keep meaning to get one of those cams. I'm definitely getting one now.
    zenno wrote: »
    how much do the cams cost demag ?.
    Got it for €35, it's a cheapie but it'll do for now.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-5-LCD-TFT-HD720p-Car-Camera-Monitor-DVR-Recorder-Cam-/220768227116?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item3366cfcf2c#ht_3964wt_701

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

On a related issue - when an accident like this happens and the Gardai are needed, do you call 999 or just the local station number?
    Judging by the guards attitude in this case you might be better off ringing your local vet!

• Advertisement

In relation to the guard at the scene. (I am a guard, btw). The gardai's sole function here is to ensure that everyone concerned is not injured and that the vehicles are legal. NOT to attribute blame. Its up to the insurance company to admit/deny liability as they are the ones DIRECTLY paying for it, not you. The only criminal matter at hand (involving the OP) is an allegation of dangerous driving. You're fully within your rights to make that allegation and make an official complaint but you need to be prepared to make a statement and go to court if necessary.

As for the 2 other factors you mentioned:
    Lerner permit- unfortunately, there's no quick fix for this. There's no legal power to stop him driving there and then. It's a summons to court.

Insurance disc- I wasn't there so I can only surmise that the guard at the scene gave him 10 days to produce his valid insurance cert if the guard was satisfied he was insured If he fails, then it's another summons.

I'm not condoning or slating the guards actions as I wasn't there, I'm just trying to give you some insight. Tell your insurance company everything that happened, they'll have an assessor examine both cars and he'll find out pretty quick how the "accident" happened. They'll then make the complaint of fraud as they're the ones being defrauded.

Edit: and best of luck, I hope you get it sorted.
    Im sorry now but that is a load of bull! Guards are well paid custodians of the peace, it is there job to investigate a case of fraud,which from what i have read in this case is pretty clear cut.

Was the guard so busy he could not have walked across the road and asked to see the cctv or get a statement off the witness.

This is exactly the attitude of so called professionals that has the country the way it is, leave it to someone else its there problem,sure were not paying for it!

Op you need to get down to your local station today and make a statement to the sargeant or super.Make sure they check the cctv and get your witness statement.Then go to a solicitor as soon as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Im sorry now but that is a load of bull! Guards are well paid custodians of the peace, it is there job to investigate a case of fraud,which from what i have read in this case is pretty clear cut.

Was the guard so busy he could not have walked across the road and asked to see the cctv or get a statement off the witness.

This is exactly the attitude of so called professionals that has the country the way it is, leave it to someone else its there problem,sure were not paying for it!

Op you need to get down to your local station today and make a statement to the sargeant or super.Make sure they check the cctv and get your witness statement.Then go to a solicitor as soon as you can.
    I'm pretty sure if he were to go to his local station that he would be told the same as what CharlieCroker said. He was merely pointing out how the system works and gardai have to follow procedure.

OP, I hope things work out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Break all ties

E39MSport wrote: »
    This country is going down the tubes fast..... Freedom for Tooting
    I did something about it. I left. Never looked back. I had enough of the gombeenery and cute hoors, lazy police etc. Life is good here. Scumbag tries to steal your stuff, cops show up mob handed and beat the crap out of said scumbag. Job done. None of "that's a civil matter, sir!". :mad:
    Judging by the guards attitude in this case you might be better off ringing your local vet!
    Considering what has happened it is no wonder that people have very little respect for the police in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

the guy at the start is a cheeky prick:eek:

his buddy crashes into you on a provisional, then he asks you "who gave you your full licence"!! nigerian is my guess on the accent,
    i cant make out what he says at 39secs though,

hopefully cctv will put a stop to any claim,

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭demag

Was just up where it happened again to see if any more cams are there, theres just one but I think it will have caught him at least stopping on the street and reversing back, might not have caught him hitting me but it could be enough to feck his story up.He said that I was driving behind him and ran into him. The pub manager whose cam it is will be back later today.
    To anyone thinking about getting a dash cam, go get one now. I've been meaning to get one for ages but never got round to it, if I had one I'd be well in the clear. It's only €35 and even if the quality is crap it would have shown I was parked when it happened.

With regard to the Guards, they are operating within the law, No fraud has been committed until this other guy tries for a claim, he might yet change his mind. If I have him on cam hitting me, I hope he does try a claim.
    I doubt the Guards are qualified to assess liability and if they said one way or another they could leave themselves open to civil claims from people who feel they have been wronged. The laws, legislation and system need to be changed, like in the U.K where the police on the side of the road can verify your insurance.
    The funny thing is he did feck all damage to me, it's a sh1tty old transit I drive. If he'd got out and said sorry I would have told him to forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would bet good money on them having no insurance themselves.

• Advertisement

I would bet good money on them having no insurance themselves.
    I was thinking that myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

No fraud might not have been committed but if he deliberately drove into you surely there's a case for reckless / dangerous driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Id guess his neck is going to get sore in the coming days/weeks
    Scumbag:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Ive heard this kind of story a few times before and theres a pattern emerging. This is a scam usually carried out by Nigerians who know that if somebody crashes into the back of their car for whatever reason its the person behind who gets the blame.

Normally they brake suddenly for no reason causing the car behind to run into them. Then they make a big scene and put in a claim for damage plus whiplash. Insurance companies are encouraging this by paying out compensation too easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

@op

I have cleaned up the audio and took up the volume a little on the clip you posted. Here it is

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/tadPLwv5/accident_cut_1.mp3.html

If the link doesn't work or if you want that done for the complete clip drop me a pm.

I hope all works out ok for you.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    @op

I have cleaned up the audio and took up the volume a little on the clip you posted. Here it is

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/tadPLwv5/accident_cut_1.mp3.html

If the link doesn't work or if you want that done for the complete clip drop me a pm.

I hope all works out ok for you.
    Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Op,

I can't add anything helpful to this but I just wanted to say fair play to you for recording the conversation - sound like arrogant idiots you were dealing with. He seems confused about some driving in front/ behind you.

Definitely think at 39 secs he said he had hit you.

I hope you get the CCTV and this clown is charged with danegerous driving and fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thanks for that

No problem
    Op,

Definitely think at 39 secs he said he had hit you.

I'm not in the best of enviroments today (too much noise)so i didn't hear that first time.
    I have tried to remove the background noise and bring up the volume around 39 seconds so this new clip sounds a little funny at that point.

I think your "victim asks someone "did you see me hit that man" to which the person replied "yes"

Heres the clip

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/FdO6beA/accident_cut_2.mp3.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Best of luck OP, hope this all works out well for you and horribly horribly wrong for this shower who can only be described as putting an n in the middle of cuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

God, listening to that recording makes me really angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭delito

Don't worry western union don't do insurance.

ill go aweaha now.

Muppet thanks for working on that, much appreciated.
    I'm meeting the pub manager at 8, he says if it's on the camera I can have a copy of it, fingers crossed.

Muppet thanks for working on that, much appreciated.
    I'm meeting the pub manager at 8, he says if it's on the camera I can have a copy of it, fingers crossed.

fingers crossed for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lettuce know how you get on OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Fair play to you OP for being so savvy in the situation and to Muppet as well for sorting out the sound for you. Well done I hope the Bastards are locked up..

• Advertisement

rescue16 wrote: »
    Did you check were there any cctv cameras in the area that might of getting you never know go back and take a look and also knock on a few doors of houses that might of seen something. And I see another person told you to contact the bogus claims number i would do this A.S.A.P op . Good luck with it .

Sir, I thank you for this, I hadn't thought of this till you mentioned it.
    Just been at the pub looking at their CCTV and I would like to say this to the "gentlemen" involved in this scam
    RULE no 1 of scamming.
    MAKE SURE NO CAMERAS CAN SEE YOU
    Gotcha you f*****g scumbags.
    Haven't got a copy of the vid yet, he's going to make me one in the morning.
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭hanloj1

Bloody nice one man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well done Sir! I applaud you. Make sure the Gardai do something about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Hahaha excellent news on the video. Any chance ya will upload the full conversation because I got some laugh off you just talking to your in a " your some idiot" kinda way.

Nearly cried when he called you a bitch. Can't wait to here what happens outta this.
    "Bookmarked"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

thread-delivers.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭meercat

well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Excellent news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Great stuff! Upload it to youtube when you get it mate!

I went straight into the Gardai after seeing the CCTV and they said they will be doing something about it, I'll call back to them when I have copies of everything.
    Hopefully if they've done this before, a few people might be getting their no claims bonus back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

First Utd practically win No. 19 and now this, what a perfect day. :D

Brilliant news, but this shouldn't end here them fcukers should be hauled into court for this, I am delighted for you, talk about OWNED

peanuthead wrote: »
    Brilliant news, but this shouldn't end here them fcukers should be hauled into court for this, I am delighted for you, talk about OWNED
    It won't end here, I'll get these fcukers done for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I wonder have they made an official statement to the Gardai or officially contacted their/your insurance company?

Could they be done for giving false statements or insurance fraud? What's the proof level required?

I'm putting in a claim for the numberplate he broke, just to feck up his no claims ( IF he has insurance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

just having a look through this thread....

am i right in saying that so far this other driver hasnt made any allegations that demag crashed into him or made any insurance claims?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

robtri wrote: »

am i right in saying that so far this other driver hasnt made any allegations that demag crashed into him or made any insurance claims?????
    He claimed at the scene demag hit into him. Dunno about a claim yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

robtri wrote: »

Well it only happened yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Great stuff! Upload it to youtube when you get it mate!

probably better not to do that until the whole thing is sorted, dont wan't to ruin any chances...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

-Chris- wrote: »
    I wonder have they made an official statement to the Gardai or officially contacted their/your insurance company?

Could they be done for giving false statements or insurance fraud? What's the proof level required?

Almost impossible to prove fraud until these dicks make a claim - lets hope they do and then the trap closes.

Op, how about you get delayed from getting to the garda station with the cctv until maybe friday or saturday. Just to give them pr**ks long enough to hang themselves and get there statements made and claims lodged.

I would hate for them to get to the garda station only to be told about the tape and not make a complaint.

Fair play for catching these leeches!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement