Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just had someone reverse into me, think it was an insurance setup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

glad to hear you will have a copy of the ordeal. time to send this crowd back to wherever they came from.

and yes they are scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

demag wrote: »
    Only thing about them trying to make a claim against me is that as soon as I saw the other driver had no insurance disc, I took mine out of the window and the old one behind it was the one they took details from, so he'll be ringing the wrong insurance company, I didn't know at the time I'd have the CCTV to back me up.

Once they have your reg. they can claim, especially as these guys seem to be experts. One thing strikes me from the conversation, were they trying to shake you down for cash instead of making a claim?

And for the bleeding hearts brigade, why are we putting up with this from foreign nationals? If they were irish scumbags that did this then there would be no issue making a fairly sound accusation. We all know that a certain percentage of any population of people will be bad apples be they foreign or not but that should not stop us from going after said scum.

By way of balance my brother ran into the back of a guys car a while back, the fella was african - and was a perfect gentleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

OP, really hope you nail these bastards badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Ferris wrote: »
    Once they have your reg. they can claim, especially as these guys seem to be experts. One thing strikes me from the conversation, were they trying to shake you down for cash instead of making a claim?

This is the most likely thing. I would be very surprised if you hear from them again OP. I think these guys want cash on point, and wont go through any legal channels - especially as they are unlikely to be insured themselves. Id love it if they did make a claim, but im guessing youll never hear from them again.

PS - if no claim comes post up the video - a euro from each boardsie to view it, and you can buy a gold plated number plate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

damoz wrote: »
    This is the most likely thing. I would be very surprised if you hear from them again OP. I think these guys want cash on point, and wont go through any legal channels - especially as they are unlikely to be insured themselves. Id love it if they did make a claim, but im guessing youll never hear from them again.

PS - if no claim comes post up the video - a euro from each boardsie to view it, and you can buy a gold plated number plate :)

I'll pay two to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Hey OP. What were they driving and roughly where did this happen? (edit pretty use I've read every post)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

280special wrote: »
    Surprized the Garda didnt take an interest in what was a possible claim scam....

I'm not, you see there is nothing in it for them.

Sorry, when I condemned these people I thought they were irish. Realising they are foreigners, I find it disgusting that the OP did not just head off to the bank machine and empty it. After all, not to do so is clearly rasict discrimination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

I would question the legality of recording someone without informing that person, because as far as I know it's not legal in Ireland (maybe in some circumstances).

It may be worth while confirming this before actually using it in court and then having the case thrown out for illegal use of transcript (or whatever they might call it).

Get these bastards, and have them prosecuted and deported. If Ireland is willing to open their doors to provide oppurtunities for people of all origins it should be well be able to kick them out the backdoor also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I would question the legality of recording someone without informing that person, because as far as I know it's not legal in Ireland (maybe in some circumstances).

It may be worth while confirming this before actually using it in court and then having the case thrown out for illegal use of transcript (or whatever they might call it).

Get these bastards, and have them prosecuted and deported. If Ireland is willing to open their doors to provide oppurtunities for people of all origins it should be well be able to kick them out the backdoor also.
    Public place, so yes it is

Sure the CCTV is exactly that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Fascinating thread! Fair dues OP, thank god for CCTV! My gut says as someone else already mentioned that you won't hear from them again. Might be interesting to run the number plate and get the registered owner of the car though and then accidently post it on boards (joking ... but I would get the name just to satisfy my curiosity). Looking forward to seeing video but I say it will be some time before you can post it - they have 2 years to make a claim under the Personal Injuries Asssessment Board, so not sure if you put it in a public domain would it mess up your chances using it as a defence (any legal minds reading want to jump in?)

Well done anyway, delighted to see these scumbags, be they Irish or non-nationals, caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice on this.
    I really really want to put this video up on youtube as soon as I get it, but I'll see what the Guards say first, I don't want to harm any case which hopefully come of this.
    Only thing about them trying to make a claim against me is that as soon as I saw the other driver had no insurance disc, I took mine out of the window and the old one behind it was the one they took details from, so he'll be ringing the wrong insurance company, I didn't know at the time I'd have the CCTV to back me up.

Just on the insurance thing, I believe that in the event of a crash, all parties are required to provide their insurance details to each other. It sounds a bit like you may not have done this. But given that a garda attended the scene, I'm presuming you did give him the valid details? Don't get me wrong, I fully sympathize with you on this and hope you nail those chancers, and don't get fleeced. But do be careful about taking any risks that they might use against you. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Cork guitarist

Did you say some of it was on CCTV?
    I heard of something similar in Cork some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭demag

Ferris wrote: »

Cash was never mentioned, straight away it was all about insurance.
    Been doing a lot of thinking about this and I can't figure out if it was planned or an accident that he just tried to turn to his advantage. Looking at the CCTV it looks planned, 3 of them standing outside the pub, I turn into the lane beside the pub, turn around and am stopped asking for directions, my front bumper is about 2 inches out of shot of the camera. You can see them looking up at where I am and they point up towards me, one of them gets in the car and reverses back about 20 metres and hits me. He almost seems to try and drive off after he hit me but that's when I got out.
    The only thing is I thought they would target someone with a nice car who looks like they have money.
    I drive a knackered looking 97 Transit and definitely don't look like I have money.
    I might find out more if I get their conversation translated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

I presume (very much so), that he moves the car forward, so it'll look more like it was you having hit him - and bounced him away with the impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

In car DVR ordered from Amazon right now.
    Ebay is cheaper but with the luck i am having lately i am not going to wait a few weeks before it is delivered...

Good luck, OP.
    Your first worry is to make sure it wont cost you anything but please, hang them out to dry if you get the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

inforfun wrote: »
    In car DVR ordered from Amazon right now.
    Ebay is cheaper but with the luck i am having lately i am not going to wait a few weeks before it is delivered...

Which one did you go for? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

07734 wrote: »
    Which one did you go for? Any recommendations?

Went for this one as it looks like the one linked from ebay earlier.
    The only thing i dont know is if it has the same recording angle (120) as the ebay one.

It is £17 more than on ebay but it is sent from the UK in stead of Hong Kong. Faster delivery, no issues with customs and easier to send back if broken.

Edit: See this thread for more in car DVR

probably for a different thread, however, I have 2 Roadhawks and while I like the device itself, trying to get portable footage from it is a PITA.

For anyone looking to spend a good few shillings, my mate just got one of these and it's awesome. Contemplating it.

http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CIrGxqTI2qgCFUFC4Qod9HWE-w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Cash was never mentioned, straight away it was all about insurance.
    Been doing a lot of thinking about this and I can't figure out if it was planned or an accident that he just tried to turn to his advantage. Looking at the CCTV it looks planned, 3 of them standing outside the pub, I turn into the lane beside the pub, turn around and am stopped asking for directions, my front bumper is about 2 inches out of shot of the camera. You can see them looking up at where I am and they point up towards me, one of them gets in the car and reverses back about 20 metres and hits me. He almost seems to try and drive off after he hit me but that's when I got out.
    The only thing is I thought they would target someone with a nice car who looks like they have money.
    I drive a knackered looking 97 Transit and definitely don't look like I have money.

Irrelevant whether you have money or not if you have insurance. Maybe they just looked to see if you had an insurance disk ?

E39MSport wrote: »
    probably for a different thread, however, I have 2 Roadhawks and while I like the device itself, trying to get portable footage from it is a PITA.

For anyone looking to spend a good few shillings, my mate just got one of these and it's awesome. Contemplating it.

http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CIrGxqTI2qgCFUFC4Qod9HWE-w

Very bulky an obvious.

Why can't someone make a slimline in car camera ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Very bulky an obvious.

This post shows the roadhawk looking reasonably subtle i think:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70562197

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I recently started using DailyRoads Voyager, and after reading this thread I wont be going anywhere in future without switching it on. I assume there's similar available for other smart phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Irrelevant whether you have money or not if you have insurance. Maybe they just looked to see if you had an insurance disk ?
    An insurance disk means nothing.

Very bulky an obvious.

hmm, can't see how being inconspicuous is advantageus under normal circumstances. I don't hide mine but I remove all suckers, wiring etc when parked up.

Perhaps being discrete after the fact in the OP's case would have helped but perhaps the incident wouldn't have happened in the first instance if there was an obvious recording device installed.

The goPro is not that much bigger in total volume in real life than the roadhawk. It is admittedly a different shape and easier to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I recently started using DailyRoads Voyager, and after reading this thread I wont be going anywhere in future without switching it on. I assume there's similar available for other smart phones.

Nice find, just downloaded it, free too.

Do you know if the cheap car cradles on ebay have a cut out at the rear so the camera has a clear view of the road? What one are you using?

Downside is I'd guess the app eats the battery, and hate those in car chargers with wires all over the place, would be good if a charger could be hard wired into the light above the rear view mirror?

If I buy a cig charger, and just cut off the car. charger part, could this be then hard wired to the car?

OP, fair play, delighted that you got the CCTV on these scum bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I have just read through this thread and I have to say fair play to the OP for having the presence of mind to get the camera going. Hard to believe how brazen they can be in carrying out these scams. I'm relatively new to driving and this thread has certainly educated me. I have a small camera and I think I'll be mounting it in the car from now on.

I'm happy this turned out well for you OP, I'm looking forward to hearing any updates!

An insurance disk means nothing.

Well it means more than no insurance disk. Also bear in mind that scammers may not be the brightest
    hmm, can't see how being inconspicuous is advantageus under normal circumstances. I don't hide mine but I remove all suckers, wiring etc when parked up.

Perhaps being discrete after the fact in the OP's case would have helped but perhaps the incident wouldn't have happened in the first instance if there was an obvious recording device installed.

The goPro is not that much bigger in total volume in real life than the roadhawk. It is admittedly a different shape and easier to see.

I want it inconspicious for when other people are driving it. Chiefly for when I leave it with a garage. For example I damaged an alloy (amongst other things) over christmas and garage told me I needed to buy a new one and as it was christmas it would take a week to get one. Subsequently I believe it didn't need a new alloy and I believe they were driving the car on the old alloy but I have no way to prove it. A dashcam would have given me evidence. A roadhawk or equivalent is dead obvious to the garage and they could simply disable it. If I could install a very small dash cam stealthily it would be alot less obvious to garages. Cameras can be made tiny these days there is no good reason for them to be so massive

Well it means more than no insurance disk. Also bear in mind that scammers may not be the brightest

I want it inconspicious for when other people are driving it. Chiefly for when I leave it with a garage. For example I damaged an alloy (amongst other things) over christmas and garage told me I needed to buy a new one and as it was christmas it would take a week to get one. Subsequently I believe it didn't need a new alloy and I believe they were driving the car on the old alloy but I have no way to prove it. A dashcam would have given me evidence. A roadhawk or equivalent is dead obvious to the garage and they could simply disable it. If I could install a very small dash cam stealthily it would be alot less obvious to garages. Cameras can be made tiny these days there is no good reason for them to be so massive

I caught a main dealer with my roadhawk charging me for 1 hour labour while they left the car running for 50 minutes in the workshop doing nothing to it :eek:

They must have thought it was a sat nav or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Nice find, just downloaded it, free too.

Do you know if the cheap car cradles on ebay have a cut out at the rear so the camera has a clear view of the road? What one are you using?

Downside is I'd guess the app eats the battery, and hate those in car chargers with wires all over the place, would be good if a charger could be hard wired into the light above the rear view mirror?

If I buy a cig charger, and just cut off the car. charger part, could this be then hard wired to the car?

I use a cheap generic holder that I got in Tesco. Works perfect with my Desire. I keep it plugged in all the time and use a retractable cable that I got cheap on ebay (seller peelplus, free shipping!) so it doesn't get in the way at all.

Feel free to pm with any more questions, don't want to derail the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I caught a main dealer with my roadhawk charging me for 1 hour labour while they left the car running for 50 minutes in the workshop doing nothing to it :eek:

They muct have thought it was a sat nav or other.

did you actually get the bill reduced? Good Stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

just set this up and went for a spin and it works great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

tommy21 wrote: »
    Fascinating thread! Fair dues OP, thank god for CCTV! My gut says as someone else already mentioned that you won't hear from them again. Might be interesting to run the number plate and get the registered owner of the car though and then accidently post it on boards (joking ... but I would get the name just to satisfy my curiosity). Looking forward to seeing video but I say it will be some time before you can post it - they have 2 years to make a claim under the Personal Injuries Asssessment Board, so not sure if you put it in a public domain would it mess up your chances using it as a defence (any legal minds reading want to jump in?)

Well done anyway, delighted to see these scumbags, be they Irish or non-nationals, caught out.
    You actually make a good point the op would be better off holding back a bit. But saying that i would still make a statement in the local garda station and would ask why the garda did not ask a few more questions at the scene.

OP you said he was outside a pub ? am i right in saying that in some cases that both drivers should of being given a breath test as i was involved in a crash last year I got rear ended and the garda tested both drivers. Why didn't the garda do this expecially when it was near a pub. This garda was not just out of the garda college was he ? Now id the other driver was over the limit that would of making even more interesting would it not ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

harr wrote: »
    just set this up and went for a spin and it works great

Me too. Someone recently caught a hit and run using the app.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    did you actually get the bill reduced? Good Stuff!

This won't go down well here but I couldn't be arsed at the time.

Just confirmed what I already knew. I had already argued with them that it couldn't take an hour to code a key. They were always going to charge for the full hour in any event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

OP, let us know what happens. Why don't you call your insurance company and claim for repair of your call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

That's the key right there - commercial vehicle. It's more likely to be a company vehicle, and therefore more likely to be insured. The company will be less likely to dispute the claim.

.. the driver is more likely to pay out in fear of losing his/her job on reporting to big boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

rescue16 wrote: »
    OP you said he was outside a pub ? am i right in saying that in some cases that both drivers should of being given a breath test as i was involved in a crash last year I got rear ended and the garda tested both drivers. Why didn't the garda do this expecially when it was near a pub. This garda was not just out of the garda college was he ? Now id the other driver was over the limit that would of making even more interesting would it not ??

It is up to the Garda to make a decision as to wether a breath test is required based on their dealings with the people involved.

k_mac wrote: »
    It is up to the Garda to make a decision as to wether a breath test is required based on their dealings with the people involved.
    Going by what the op said the garda in question did not want to deal with it at all. I have attended traffic accidents were the first thing the garda does is do a breath test . But maybe this garda in question did not have the device with him .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭demag

firefly08 wrote: »
    That's the key right there - commercial vehicle. It's more likely to be a company vehicle, and therefore more likely to be insured. The company will be less likely to dispute the claim.
    Good point, never thought of that.
    Re. breath testing, maybe they couldn't smell it off either of us?
    I think I will hold off for a week and see if he tries a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Best practice to inform your insurance company of any accident if only for their records even if no claim occurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

furtzy wrote: »
    Best practice to inform your insurance company of any accident if only for their records even if no claim occurs
    +1 I always do it just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mlmini

I just had a fella reverse into me earlier when I was parked asking for directions off a fella. I was parked in the entrance to an estate facing the road when someone drove past along the road, stopped and reversed into me.(After seeing the CCTV of this, he hadn't driven past, he was parked down the road and came reversing back up the road)
    As soon as he hit me 2 other fellas and 2 women came up the street and said that I drove into him, they couldn't have even seen him hit me. I called the guards, they did the usual, tax, insurance and licence and said that it was up to the insurance company.
    How can I make sure this tramp doesn't get a claim off me. I have the witness who was at my window talking to me as he hit me but he has 4 "witnesses"
    i had an incident a few years ago, i just got my car 0ne week previous and was driving on a dual carraigeway, suddenly a late model bmw slammed on their breaks in front of me, but thanks to the excellent handling on my car at the time i managed to totally avoid the so and so's!!! i called guards and they told me that they had 4 other reports of same car trying that on same road!! i'm extremely careful since!!!!! hope u get this sorted in ur favour! at end of day u were stationary and he has to prove u were moving!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

this happened to my brother in Law in the UK a few years back,about 6:30 am he was approaching a t junction where there was a car stopped and no traffic about, as he stopped they reversed back into him pretty quick and said he rear-ended them! they got a nice packet of cash :mad: and he got V expensive insurance for a few years:(
    People like that should be chained together and reversed over LOTS !!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As for the 2 other factors you mentioned:
    Lerner permit- unfortunately, there's no quick fix for this. There's no legal power to stop him driving there and then. It's a summons to court.

The problem here, as has come up so many times before, is the seeming unwillingness of the Gards to issue a summons. Fair enough, the law is inadequate, so why not do all in your power to have them fined as a deterrent? Doing nothing is not only not a deterrant, it's encouragment as some will see it as an officail endorsement to carry on as they please.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

A friend of my Aunt's in New York got caught in a scam like that a few years ago.A driver went in to the back of him at a busy Intersection (crossroads).It turned out the driver and 2 accomplices as "witnesses" along with an Insurance agent and the Doctor who "diagnosed" their "injuries" were all eventually rumbled.It made the local news channel over there,scary stuff to be caught up in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shotgun_TEXAS

I plugged the laptop in to the surround sound turned it up and it sounds like he said "he just didnt hit me tho". stand your ground on this one

Any update ?

He's leaving it a week to see if they drop a claim from last reading

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement