Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know you're 'getting on a bit' when.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I'm beginning to grunt when I'm getting up off a chair or bending down, very worrying....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Pebbles68

WHen you go to a gig and find yourself thinking "I should have booked a seat" and the next morning your ears are still ringing because there was too much noise!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

My sister moved in with me last summer sooo after being the ''walking atm'' ''taxi driver'' ''cleaner'' eventually I cracked (after she made some ridiculous demand)

I calmly walked into her bedroom, packed her bags put them into the back of the car thereafter I went into the sitting room where to was lounging around I made her get into the car still not talking (shock for me) as while driving back home.... I let rip so to speak but what shocked me most was I KNEW THAT IF I GAVE OUT TO HER IN THE HOUSE SHE WOULDN'T LISTEN AND THAT SHE'D BE TO VAIN TO GET OUT OF THE CAR IN HER PJ'S SHE HAVE TO LISTEN! Now that made me feel old and there is only 10years between us

Thankfully I calmed down and we made up over ice cream in her pj's I might add!! She still spent a few days with my other sister I needed the break she came back and I still unpacked the damn car... ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

nicechick! wrote: »

Thankfully I calmed down and we made up over ice cream in her pj's I might add!! She still spent a few days with my other sister I needed the break she came back and I still unpacked the damn car... ha

I think you need a bit more 'getting on' time, as per the thread title :pac: As in, don't unpack the car or (better yet) let her remain elsewhere for longer/ever. Been there and done that - lesson only gets learned when big sis lets go of the safety blanket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

When you have been in church 4 times out of the last 5 days as a non believer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

mw3guc wrote: »
    I think you need a bit more 'getting on' time, as per the thread title :pac: As in, don't unpack the car or (better yet) let her remain elsewhere for longer/ever. Been there and done that - lesson only gets learned when big sis lets go of the safety blanket.

Ha I love it oh crikey yup I eventually let go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

My hubby had a beautiful senior moment yesterday. He's new to computers so he got all set up with email etc and I left him to his own devices while I was out for the evening.

A couple of hours later I sent him an email just to say hi..and what did he do?? Rang me to tell me he got it and to have a chat :D even though I was sitting at the computer...Oh sigh

Getting on me thinks..he's 42 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Awwww! He's not ould, he's just had a sheltered life, bless him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

For me its looking for better light when reading small print.... or my knees creaking...... or having to psy myself up for a late night out and have a rest the day afterwards.... or meeting a primary school teacher who was younger than my older daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

OldGoat wrote: »
    ...when you remember Summers filled with the wrrRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrwrrRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrwrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr *
    sound of push lawnmowers rather the the whine of electric ones.

*In my head thats the right sound FX

They were god-awful things. as were the old petrol mowers. We were brought up to look down on electric mowers, they are now a godsend...

getting old for me is enjoying gardening... and resenting being out after 10pm...

and I'm not yet 40...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

and I'm not yet 40...

You're no where near old enough to call yourself Victor Meldrew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Surely that should be:
    wrrRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrClicketyClicketyClickwrrRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrClicketyClicketyClickwrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr or did yours not have to be pulled back to take a run at the grass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

When you're out somewhere and see a mother and her daughter, and you spend more time looking at the mother than the daughter. Happened me yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I just read this whole thread and realise that I'm an oul wan. I'm going back to bed for a lye down to get over the shock :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I just read this whole thread and realise that I'm an oul wan. I'm going back to bed for a lye down to get over the shock :eek:

At the end of the day, its just a state of mind. I have a friend in her early fifties who can hardly do anything for herself, and expects all and sundry to assist her in every little thing, and I know an 80 yr old who can't be kept down, travelling and playing golf as much as she can, and a witty and sharp mind to boot, God bless her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, its just a state of mind. I have a friend in her early fifties who can hardly do anything for herself, and expects all and sundry to assist her in every little thing, and I know an 80 yr old who can't be kept down, travelling and playing golf as much as she can, and a witty and sharp mind to boot, God bless her!

In some cases maybe, but not many 80 year olds will move better than 25 year olds, simply because they are 80. The average person is brown bread at 80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I'm beginning to grunt when I'm getting up off a chair or bending down, very worrying....

In another while you wont hear the grunts, so it wont be too bad then:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Was chatting to my youngest cousin in the pub last night. I held her as a baby. I'm now offically old.

Her reminding me of the fact doesn't help things either.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Namle

When you wake up after a night of passion crippled with back ache:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Namle wrote: »
    When you wake up after a night of passion crippled with back ache:o

What? You mean a FULL Night?:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Namle

Rubecula wrote: »
    What? You mean a FULL Night?:(
    Ah well, when herself is in the mood there's no point wasting the opportunity. Gotta make the most of it;) But boy am I paying the price now!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mossy9

When you buy tickets to a Neil Diamond concert !

Mossy9 wrote: »
    When you buy tickets to a Neil Diamond concert !

When you have saved old Ticket stubs from a Neil Diamond concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Instanto

A friend of mine states when you hit sixty, you're in the departure lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

A very nice young Wan, ( early 20s I'd say...hard to tell isn't it?:p) got up from her chair in Specsavers to let me sit down! I refused ,of course, sayin' "No,No I'm grand.!" And thinkin' ,"She really does need her eyes done..." But over the next few days it finally seeped through to my last few brain cells,- hands up , your an Oul fella!!:eek: +:D:D

I first realised I was getting on a bit when I didn't get the socks for a Christmas present. I got the slippers. That is almost like getting shot for a fella.

Not sure what the ladies equivalent to that is.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I found a grey hair..... in my stubble. Not cool. Not cool at all. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Just the one? Feck off out of here for another 5 years at least! :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Oh Yes.. And Just in case it didn't register I was goin' downhill at Specsavers - iwas goin' into the cinema a coupla months ago and yer wan asked me, "Senior Is it?" Rocked me a bit again but "yes" I sez.

I been gettin' in for 3 euro cheaper ever since.;)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I didnt say "when" did I? :)
    Its a few years and a dozen or so later.... I keep telling myself at least its better then the ridiculous and bizarre ginger it used to come out as

Advertisement