Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen's less known bands

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

sarkozy wrote: »
    Rubbish line-up anyway.

in your opinion.
    IrishCian wrote: »
    Rubbish line-up?? While its really a matter of opinion, I'd have to say I completely disagree. Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys, Strokes, Paolo Nutini, Slash, Two Door Cinema Club.. There's a long list of brilliant acts.

in your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

That's the 'you're actually wrong' kind of "in your opinion".

Seriously, it goes without saying that, in my opinion, the line-up is rubbish.

Why bother tediously typing out "in my opinion, blahdiblah" every time I can say something when I can just say the Oxygen line-up is rubbish? Much quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭IrishCian

That's the 'you're actually wrong' kind of "in your opinion".

Seriously, it goes without saying that, in my opinion, the line-up is rubbish.

Why bother tediously typing out "in my opinion, blahdiblah" every time I can say something when I can just say the Oxygen line-up is rubbish? Much quicker.

I'm just a bit surprised you're so adamant that its rubbish? I didn't mean my comment as a put-down or anything, more as a part of a conversation. Is there really no-one on the list that you would like to see? Who would you prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

OK, well, of everyone announced, really and truly, I'm not interested in seeing anyone at Oxegen.

Crystal Castles I saw years ago and wasn't so impressed. The Saw Doctors for the kitsh novelty, but why pay into a festival to see a band for irony's sake?

Electric Picnic doesn't enamour me, either. Again, like, anyone I'd be interested in seeing (Blonde Redhead, Beirut, Health) I've already seen, bands like Yuck and The Walkmen I'm not paying that much for two bands, and the rest like The Cast of Cheers and Adebisi Shank I can watch any time, really.

But that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Rubbish line-up anyway.
    Yeah, I'm only actually getting a day ticket with the intention of seeing Odd Future. They're easily worth the 100 euro in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm only actually getting a day ticket with the intention of seeing Odd Future. They're easily worth the 100 euro in my opinion.

I'd be careful, i'm not sure Naas is ready for OF, i'm tempted to go to see them open with Sandwiches and see the 'wtf' look on so many faces.

They're energetic live but the production and beats don't come across, neither do the lyrics. The stage dives certainly do though.

http://yfrog.com/h632iqrj

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

lordgoat wrote: »
    I'd be careful, i'm not sure Naas is ready for OF, i'm tempted to go to see them open with Sandwiches and see the 'wtf' look on so many faces.

They're energetic live but the production and beats don't come across, neither do the lyrics. The stage dives certainly do though.

http://yfrog.com/h632iqrj

While we're on the subject of lesser known bands, anyone think that Oxegen just isn't built for lesser known bands? Huge tents and stages 10ft off the ground - lacks the intimacy that smaller bands need when trying to sell their wares, coupled with ferocious echo within the tents leading to bad sound when there are only a handful of people in the tent. Just a thought, but can't beat being crammed into a tiny venue while a band you never heard before gives it socks right infront of you

• Registered Users Posts: 26 foals

The reason i would consider it to be a bad line up is because the bad acts out number the good acts 2:1 at least even though some of my favorite bands are playing i would have to sit through a lot of bad music whilst waiting for them to play. But its a pop festival not really alternative by any stretch so it's kinda understandable, But if You put The Strokes 3rd in line to the Friday night headliner there is something seriously wrong and thats the way its looking by this http://www.oxegen.ie/line-up/ i really hope for music's sake that it doesn't happen.

foals wrote: »
    The reason i would consider it to be a bad line up is because the bad acts out number the good acts 2:1 at least even though some of my favorite bands are playing i would have to sit through a lot of bad music whilst waiting for them to play. But its a pop festival not really alternative by any stretch so it's kinda understandable, But if You put The Strokes 3rd in line to the Friday night headliner there is something seriously wrong and thats the way its looking by this http://www.oxegen.ie/line-up/ i really hope for music's sake that it doesn't happen.

You're not really chained to the ground now are ya?Theres plenty of different things to do outside the music thats going on. Anyway, It gets tiring trying to run around tent after tent, one band after another that you like (I'v tried it) and you won't enjoy the experience of a music festival.

Surely as a music fan you would want to discover new music?This is the most economical way of discovering new bands. Spending 200 hundred euro on a ticket, if you were to continually watch band after band, thats approx 30 bands, that well covers your monies worth.

Even if the Strokes are third in line, the people who want to see the Strokes will see the Strokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭IrishCian

If that line-up is accurate regards headliners, kinda surprised Black Eyed Peas are headlining again. From what I heard, they were utter ****e last year. Like, they were on at the same time as Muse so I knew who I was going to go to..

But remember, there's like 3 "head-liners" each night, so the Strokes could
    possibly be the last act on a particular stage on a particular night...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Airborne Toxic Event are playing the Sunday - I still regret missing them to see KOL when their slots clashed a couple of years ago

You're not really chained to the ground now are ya?Theres plenty of different things to do outside the music thats going on. Anyway, It gets tiring trying to run around tent after tent, one band after another that you like (I'v tried it) and you won't enjoy the experience of a music festival.

Surely as a music fan you would want to discover new music?This is the most economical way of discovering new bands. Spending 200 hundred euro on a ticket, if you were to continually watch band after band, thats approx 30 bands, that well covers your monies worth.

Even if the Strokes are third in line, the people who want to see the Strokes will see the Strokes.

Its a music festival thats what you go for the music if i wanted to just drink beer in a field id do it out my back garden. yes but you can discover new music a lot easier on the internet plus Oxygen isn't really regarded for giving new obscure acts a spot that don't have as much as a my space. Is that sarcasm or are you serious?? It only covers your money if the bands are good so with more than 15 of those bands most likely going to be bad, it's a bit of false economy. yeah but the headline act is the headline act for a reason, you get much more time than the other other acts.

Its a music festival thats what you go for the music if i wanted to just drink beer in a field id do it out my back garden. yes but you can discover new music a lot easier on the internet plus Oxygen isn't really regarded for giving new obscure acts a spot that don't have as much as a my space. Is that sarcasm or are you serious?? It only covers your money if the bands are good so with more than 15 of those bands most likely going to be bad, it's a bit of false economy. yeah but the headline act is the headline act for a reason, you get much more time than the other other acts.

Fair point about the longer set alright, but if you're happy enough to just check out music on the internet then why go to Oxegen at all then? I'm sure you're well aware that outside the music at oxegen, there is a lot more than beer in a field

Fair point about the longer set alright, but if you're happy enough to just check out music on the internet then why go to Oxegen at all then? I'm sure you're well aware that outside the music at oxegen, there is a lot more than beer in a field

I wouldn't go to oxygen at all it's a terrible line up year in year out thats what i have been saying. but you can check bands out prior to the event to see if there good and then you make an informed decision weather or not to see them live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭many

City and Colour. One of the main reasons I'm going, seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

They played Whelans in Febuary then went on to support KoL at Slane, playing oxegen on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

I was tempted to get a one day ticket to see OF, but the rest of the bands playing on the Sunday are pretty awful, save for Bright Eyes and some others that I wouldn't pay to see, so it's a ripoff. But it got me thinking, I would much prefer if Oxegen would lump together the obviously commercially succesfull bands together on one or two days, and the good ones(This is vague, but you get the idea who I'm talking about) on another day. I wonder would they make more money from an increase in one day ticket sales as a good deal of people that go for the full weekend are more interested in drinking than the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

if You put The Strokes 3rd in line to the Friday night headliner there is something seriously wrong

They haven't - The Strokes are headlining one of the other stages.

My recommendation for the purposes of this thread is Cashier No.9 - they're a truly brilliant band :cool:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Check out whipping boy and British sea power.
    Also Primal Scream are well known and well worth a look if you haven't heard of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

I would go for the fun lovin' criminals alone!

Advertisement