Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License Substitution ???

Options
  • 07-05-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

I finally chose a Tikka T3 Lite today in .270 for the next stalking season.
    When filling in the FCA 1 form is it "Substitution" I tick as I'm trading in one rifle for another ? (.223 to .270)

When asked on he form why I want this particular type of gun, do I tell them its simply its for "Hunting" or do I have to elaborate that its for deer ?

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

vixdname wrote: »
    I finally chose a Tikka T3 Lite today in .270 for the next stalking season.
    When filling in the FCA 1 form is it "Substitution" I tick as I'm trading in one rifle for another ? (.223 to .270)

When asked on he form why I want this particular type of gun, do I tell them its simply its for "Hunting" or do I have to elaborate that its for deer ?

Thanks lads.

Tick the Box for Deer on the Form, and supply licence or cover note.

It's down to your FO after that.

Did you buy a Moderator or a Break?
    Tikka Lite + .270 = Recoil lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

I did tack a northstar moderator - nice bit of weight in it - its stainless also, same as the barrel, when I add the NF scope and bipod it wont be very lite !

I didnt see anywhere on the fca 1 where I tick "Deer", is it the section about killing mammals under the 1976 wildlife act ? tick yes or no

and do I Tick substitute or new license ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

vixdname wrote: »
    I didnt see anywhere on the fca 1 where I tick "Deer", is it the section about killing mammals under the 1976 wildlife act ? tick yes or no

Yes.

Section 4.2 - Tick "Hunting".
    Section 5.1 - Tick "Yes".

A current deer license must be provided.
    and do I Tick substitute or new license ?

New license/application.

In the words of my FO (who has always seen me good).........
    Even though both are centrefires, the ,223 is a low powered varmint rifle, where the .308 is a high powered hunting rifle.

So for that reason i had to do a new application and use an FCA2 to cancel my .223 as i had no intention to get another.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Ezridax wrote: »
    New license/application.

In the words of my FO (who has always seen me good).........

So for that reason i had to do a new application and use an FCA2 to cancel my .223 as i had no intention to get another.

Ezridax did you then have to pay for the new license?? 'cos with a sub that is what it is and you don't repay the license fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

It's only a sub if the reason for the firearm hasn't changed afaik which in this case it has, vermin to deer

Having said that it all depends on the Super ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yes clivej, as a new application the €80 fee had to be paid.

The rules surrounding substitutions are set fast in law. However the FO's/Super's interpretation of those rules allows some lads to get non like for like subs done, while others in another district will/would not be given the same courtesy.

A like for like can be done for (example) a .22 bolt action to another .22 bolt action or even a .22 semi auto. It can be done for a .22 to a .22 magnum, .17 hmr. They would all be classed as rimfire target/vermin/bunny rifle.

However a bolt action .22 for a bolt action .223/.243, etc (technically) should not be done. There are those few, although i've never seen the licenses, that claim they have gotten such substitutions. Fair pay and i'm happy for them. It does NOT mean that such subs are standard or that because "Paddy" got his done in Carlow that i should be entitled to get mine done in Laois.

It really is district dependant which slightly contradicts the laws/SIs. I always try and get a sub (where its worth it to "chance your arm") and if it cannot be done then so be it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement