Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Littering while cycling

• 07-05-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

Am I a wrong?

I have been riding for the last 7 years in the USA, racing for 5 of those. We are told at the start that littering-throwing away gel/bar wrappers will not be tolerated.

Since I've been back in Ireland-where our main source of income at the minute is tourism-I have seen numerous cyclists on Sportives throwing their wrappers on the road or in the ditch, not only that, but because at Sportives, we receive bottles/cans, they also throw these on the road/ditch. Is it really that hard to put them in our pockets until the next stop.

I was doing the Tour De Cure today, i saw 3 guys do it, I was getting frustrated and when I saw the third guy, I said "come on guys, can we not throw our litter on the ground?" the response was, I am a racer and it's a habit from that and that 'I' should relax. I didn't get angry, I was able to see from my HR monitor that my HR didn't increase :P, but I did say "that doesn't make it right, and went on to explain the above mentioned points, he kept saying relax. I said I would relax if he would just say that he would try not to litter anymore, eventually he did and that was that. I met him at a food stop later on and pointed to the garbage bags and patted him on the back and said "look. there's a garbage bag!" it was in fun, and he laughed. I know he's not the only one that does it, but I feel that we should be ambassadors for the countryside and cycling and should be trying to preserve our clean area. I wish there was something I could do to bring awareness at sportives about this.

Last October, after the Ring Of Kerry Cycle (in July) when I was riding it, there were still empty bottles-dozens-strewn along the roadside, it makes me sick, rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

All I toss is banana skins, everything else goes back into the pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

some people are arsehole litterbugs. some people are also cyclists. sometimes these groups of people will overlap. It's unfortunate, but I don't know how it can be prevented besides doing as you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

one of my pet hates, that and scum who dump black bags in countryside ditches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Thanks for the affirmation guys, glad I am not alone on this and am not being too much of an a**h**e-whew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

My used wrappers get tucked into the bottom of my shorts. Forgotten about until I go to the toilet when I get home. You can't get away from people who don't give a damn about the environment around them, and nothing you say to them will change that attitude unforunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Hear hear! I hate that practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Plastik wrote: »
    All I toss is banana skins, everything else goes back into the pocket.
    Same here no need for it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

This irritates the life out of me also, i pocket everything including banana skins, I tend to stick to the "leave no trace" rule so i usually get home with sticky pockets which is nothing the washing machine cant handle. As its mainly mountain biking i do i come across so much of peoples rubbish in local forests and when the day comes that i catch someone dumping i will not be held responsible for my actions :mad:
    I dont see why they cant go to a dump! I know dumping bags of rubbish is different to gel wrappers or bottles. But i think the principle is the same, it still costs money to clean up and ruins the scenery no matter how big or small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's am issue that's been raised over on the ART forum too, people throwing away wrappers and bottles, particularly at races through the country side, is an issue with a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

one of my hates as welll (i sometimes lose stuff accidentally ) but it is annoying picked up several bottles off glengesh last year after the ras dun na ngall went through , and several after the natonal champs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

Even on the scenic vee today i saw someone dumped about 50 nappies on the roadside in a pile you just have to ask yourself why:mad:. Also i was out last saturday for a 100k spin i counted 7 tv,s dumped at different spots i pressume these people bought new tv,s and therefore paid to dispose of there old tv,s :confused: people are strange animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Pet hate of mine too. But Ireland generally is, and has always been, behind the curve in terms of litter-consciousness.

I've no bother tossing fruit into the ditches, but plastic and aluminium foil gel wrappers etc, I can't understand it.

As an aside, are there any companies making biodegradable or environmentally more friendly cycle snacks??

I would hope all snacks are biodegradable ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

My blood boils over everytime I see this, and luckily its not often or else I'd be up for murder !

Last time was going up a climb locally in Kerry ... in a SPORTIVE FFS !!! ... when the little pr1ck in front of me fecks his empty Lucozade bottle into the ditch, I should have thrown him into the ditch after it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Ya, bugs the sh*& out of me too.
    Last time was Etape Ras Mumhan - a guy in front of me threw away a wrapper on the beautiful route and I said something to him. He didn't like it so I lost the rag a bit and told him to take his rubbish home and throw it away outside his own door.
    I was an unpleasant episode but I think I did the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it doesn't help that people see on the tv that pros are allowed just **** stuff away. They never show it being picked up after by the various people assigned to it and the mentality starts to sink it that its ok to do it

It's a pity its so hard to catch by officials, instant DQ would help stop it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Ok, guys racing at the top offload water bottles and most of these are picked up as souvenirs, this looks bad but these guys are thinking weight and thats all that matters, I think the OP was more or less concerned with us sportive/leisure cyclists, there is absolutely no need for anyone to off load litter, ok I dump my banana skin but it goes straight into a ditch (bio degradeable) or under a tree when the opportunity arrives but that is where the buck stops Ive seen guys dump punctured tubes and tyres absolutley no need and throwing paper wrappers is disgusting back pocket and home end off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I was doing the Tour De Cure today, i saw 3 guys do it, I was getting frustrated and when I saw the third guy, I said "come on guys, can we not throw our litter on the ground?" the response was, I am a racer and it's a habit from that and that 'I' should relax.

Littering is barely acceptable at pro level, completely unacceptable otherwise, racing or not.

What a complete wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I've seen this before when training around Tipperary, Clonmel to be specific, you know who you are! Unfortunately most were older, wealthier and supposedly wiser than I. I have difficulty calling people on this without losing my temper and ruining the vibe of the ride but the careless abandon with which some people chuck wrappers, tubes and bottles all over our beautiful countryside makes me apoplectic with rage. As I've already said I have extreme difficulty controlling this rage, not to mention conveying my displeasure in an acceptable manner so I'm forced to stay quiet rather than create "a scene". Overall it's very difficult to argue with a moron as they have the ability to drag me down to their level and then to beat me with their vast experience.
    Anyway, my penalty for littering, in all seriousness would be one warning and for the second offence; execution. I do not think I am being harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

coolbeans wrote: »
    Anyway, my penalty for littering, in all seriousness would be one warning and for the second offence; execution. I do not think I am being harsh.

Or just force feed them powerbar wrappers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Lumen wrote: »
    Or just force feed them powerbar wrappers.

The logistics would be problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭corkchef

saw a couple of lads in team kit at the bottom of the vee on the TDC yesterday chuck water bottles into the ditch. made me sick. we cyclists are supposed to be "green aware earth friendly" folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Add me to the list of people that this habit really annoys. I live in the country and regularly pick up gel wrappers etc. from the hedgerow outside my house.

I've seen guys dump tubes as well- why not bring it home?:confused:

Not just cyclists do it obviously, but in my innocence I always considered regular cyclists a bit "green" compared to the masses. Seems it's not always the case, alas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I did G Force 2 years ago and there was trouble after it as the route was like a tip after it, including the reek, I mean its a holy site to some and there was energy bar wrappers and bottles everywhere.
    I think people just dont think, they are concentrating on the event and when cycling trying not to fall off the bike while eating i think. not an excuse but a possible reason, wouldn't be a bad idea to have a dont litter sign at food stops just to let people know that its not acceptable.

Illegal dumping and littering is not a solely an Irish issue, the shortest of trips to any country in the world will show you that.

Only take photo's and leave foot prints I think is the out doors motto

Illegal dumping and littering is not a solely an Irish issue, the shortest of trips to any country in the world will show you that.
    no, it's not but it seems to be a bigger issue here than in comparison to many EU countries, in general
    Only take photo's and leave foot prints I think is the out doors motto

it is, a bit more flowery language though :)
    "Take only photos, leave only footprints" iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

corkchef wrote: »
    saw a couple of lads in team kit at the bottom of the vee on the TDC yesterday chuck water bottles into the ditch. made me sick. we cyclists are supposed to be "green aware earth friendly" folks.

You should name and shame the club, or at the very least write to the club sec.

I live in an area frequented by leisure cyclists, tourers and people using the area for training w/es.
    Usually after bank holiday weekends both the Molls Gap climb and Caha Pass climb will have gel wrappers discarded on roadside.
    Not only cyclists thou. Took kids for walk to Torc waterfall yday. Routes is littered with all manner of rubbish.
    What is it with some people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Fenners99

Totally agree, we were out last week with one of my friends that threw away his wrappers. I gave out to him and explained that what he was doing
    was wrong giving Our cycle club a bad name not to mention the points u raised. Never thought it was acceptable before but since he has changed his views, thankfully. Fruit is ok but papers wrappers are just not. I think it would help if the organisers of events stressed bring waste back to the recycle bin.... It's not like it weighs much!

ROK ON wrote: »
    You should name and shame the club, or at the very least write to the club sec.

i think i will write the secretary, i dont feel right slagging a whole crew in public whom from what i have seen tend to be a good crowd. best to let the team deal with it.

i did write the club secretary and directed them to this thread for their interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I am delighted with the feedback on this, I have taken the time to write to Ring of Kerry organizers and explained my thoughts on the subject, I also pointed them in the direction of this thread.
    The rubbish weighs nothing, I think it would be a good idea to stress on the registration that it is important that they comply with the littering laws of this country and that we are still responsible when we break the law-even if we are 'cycling' which I do not see as a good excuse to ruin the country, I'll keep you all updated on any progress I make, thank you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markdrayton

Tossing rubbish really riles me. "I'm a racer" isn't a valid excuse, either, unless you happen to be riding a ProTour event with people to pick up the junk afterwards. I like to imagine all the people who do this wouldn't just drop something while walking down the street or throw something from the window of a car but perhaps that's wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 matildda

Took part in Gaelforce West last year. Was in a wave about two hours after first competitors. Race organizers stressed on multiple occasions that there would be no tolerance on littering.. yet the course was strewn with discarded gel packs, fruit peels and energy bar wrappers. Really disappointing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Glad to see this issue raised. Fair play OP.

Anyone I've cycled with only ever chucks banana skins, everything else is taken home. I'm not into racing but I could see where it could be a feature. I do notice it on sportives, but moreso around food and water stations rather than the open road. That said, it shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We've had complaints about some of the terminology used. I've deleted some posts (including those quoting the specific post in question)

Please try to avoid using descriptions that other posters may find offensive

Thanks

Beasty

Some people just look for offence in everything, the word in question didn't refer to a certain group of people who are looking for ethnic recognition but rather another group of people for whom the term is commonly used. Off topic I know but this pc rubbish creeping in everywhere is ridiculous.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Some people just look for offence in everything, the word in question didn't refer to a certain group of people who are looking for ethnic recognition but rather another group of people for whom the term is commonly used. Off topic I know but this pc rubbish creeping in everywhere is ridiculous.
    Off topic - definitely

If you have a problem with moderator actions PM the mods, do not respond in-thread

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Fintan21

Any littering is unacceptable. Triathlon has a huge problem with this. Kilkee after the Hell of the West last Summer looked like Ballinasloe after the horse fair. I was appaled. I wrote to the organisers who, I hope have taken this on board and there may be some form of censure for littering this year. I also wrote to Sky prior to the Etape in the Burren asking them to request riders to not litter in the Burren. They spoke about disqualifing people who litter. I doubt very much that that happened. We, Burren Cycling Club, certainly speak to the riders prior to the Tour de Burren and request that they do not litter our wonderful amenity. There is no doubt though that poor example from the professional cycling teams contributes to the problem. The teams say that the jettisoned bottles are picked up by supporters but that clearly is often not the case. In years to come, people will look back at today's cycling videos and be horrified at the way the cyclists litter with abandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm not one to litter, but I did throw an empty Lucozade bottle into the pikey fields near Clondalkin. My way of saying thanks for letting their horses **** all over the bike tracks I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Same as others here, if it's fruit it goes in the ditch, otherwise it goes in the pocket until I find a rest stop with a bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kcphoto

I commented on this to my brother during the TDC on Saturday after spotting a few discarded gel packets etc on the road- (though to be fair I can understand how some could be dropped accidentally but dropping them intentionally is inexcusable).
    As much as I hate to see any litter it is unfortunately easy to believe that some people don't care - you only need to observe the black bags in the ditches wherever you cycle. I can never understand the mentality and seeing rubbish discarded is one of the few things that does take away from enjoying a cycle.

kcphoto wrote: »
    As much as I hate to see any litter it is unfortunately easy to believe that some people don't care - you only need to observe the black bags in the ditches wherever you cycle. I can never understand the mentality and seeing rubbish discarded is one of the few things that does take away from enjoying a cycle.

+1.

I was really appalled with the state of the place running along the east shore of Pollaphuca, worst I've seen. Bags and bags of crap all over the place as you pass a stand of evergreens at some point along there :(

• Advertisement

corkchef wrote: »
    i think i will write the secretary, i dont feel right slagging a whole crew in public whom from what i have seen tend to be a good crowd. best to let the team deal with it.

i did write the club secretary and directed them to this thread for their interest.

i got a response from the club secretary in question...

Thanks for the email, I will raise your concerns at our next club meeting to inform our members that when they are wearing our Club Gear they are representing our club. Unfortunately we as a club cannot be held responsible for our individual members actions but we will try to address the topic of littering when on the bike in the hope that our members will be much more reluctant to do it in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I'm not one to litter, but I did throw an empty Lucozade bottle into the pikey fields near Clondalkin. My way of saying thanks for letting their horses **** all over the bike tracks I guess.

Two wrongs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Two wrongs...
    ...make the second wronger feel a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I agree with all the above, last year on the West Cork200 I saw this dude from a cycle club in Tralee (that was sponsored by a big hotel) throw his gel wrapper in the hedgerow, I pointed out the error of his ways but the expression on his face was non-plussed.

Come on guys you should know better!

As for nappies....................... don't get me started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Took a little break at the intersection for the White Loop in Ballyhoura two weeks ago. Just there by the map sign there's a big log. So I'm sitting on the log and behind it looks like there had been a monkey's convention with the amount of banana skins thrown on the ground.

Advertisement