Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative Advice

• 07-05-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just looking for a bit of advice regarding the Comparative. I'm in 5th year and am looking for quite a high grade in English (B1 +). I have 3 sample essays (General Vision & Viewpoint, Literary Genre and the Theme of Friendship). I'm just wondering would it be advisable to learn these essays off by heart?. I'm not going to learn it off word for word, just the main points?. I'm aiming for a Law Degree so I have to try and maximise my points potential in every subject! Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

There's no need to learn three, put your energy into two. Off by heart isn't a good idea as the marks are going for how you answer the question asked on the day. Students who learn off by heart either blank or lose massive marks by throwing down what they learned off and ignoring the question.

My advice? Learn off an essay plan for each and know key moments, quotations and comparative phrases for each paragraph. On the day, refer explicitly to the essay title in your intro and your conclusion and make sure to mention the title in each paragraph.

Advertisement