Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Front Derailer Help

• 07-05-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to my road bike although had been commuting for a few years. Had a small fall, not hurt, but the bike got a fair bang along the drive side of the bike. All seemed OK (few scratches and torn saddle) but I have now noticed that the front derailer is scraping the chain in a few gear positions.

Bike is a Scott Speedster S40 with Sora shifters and front derailer (compact 50-34) and tiagra rear.

First question is on the front shifter. I hadn't noticed it before but the front shifter indicator (red needle) has 3 positions even though there are only 2 rings. ie if i'm on the small ring the needle is fully right. If i shift up the chain goes on the big ring and the needle goes to the middle. Outside (right) of chain now scrapes cage in some gears. However if i shift up again (ie press brake lever to the right) the needle goes fully to the left and the cage moves a little bit further right and chain scrapes on other (left) side in some gears.
    Before I go on can anyone tell me if the 3 needle positions are totally wrong, is it a simple fix or do i need to bring it to the shop (nowhere open til monday). Was hoping to get out tomorrow morning so was hoping to fix it tonight.

Thks for any help in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

If you fell on the drive side you prob knocked the FD out of place. The outer cage should be in line with the outer ring and about 2mm over the outer chain ring. Its easy enough to sort/ reset the Fd.
    You have 3 'needles' because the lever/shifter is capable of using a triple but is fine for a double.The fact that your needle is now a bit all over the place means your FD probably took a knock and moved out of sync.

Advertisement