Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal?

• 07-05-2011 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Is it legal to ride bicycles on footpaths?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

No, it's not safe either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Can't be put simpler really.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

only on the footpad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Irish_Rugby

Thanks lads thats a no go so :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depends how old you are.

Under 10 or over 80 and it's probably OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Its a surprisingly popular pastime in limerick......have seen more people between 10 and 80 cruising on the path than anywhere else ive lived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I know its not legal (and have had friend fined for it) but seriously in some places it just seems to be the done thing, on my short route in galway there's far far more people cycling on the footpath than on road (road works have severely narrowed road), go on the road myself but during some rush hours its actually a lot quicker too cycle even extremely slowly on pavement than road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Lumen wrote: »
    Depends how old you are.

does it though?

Ok so from a safety point of view it makes sense for very young kids to be off the road but is there any actual rules/laws allowing for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

does it though?

Ok so from a safety point of view it makes sense for very young kids to be off the road but is there any actual rules/laws allowing for it?
    wasnt there a recent case of a ten year old being sued by a granny he knocked over? uk i think. (poss us, but i think uk)

anyway, it's technically illegal - which iow means it's illegal. (though as Teferi says, unlikely a Garda would handcuff a ten yr old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

does it though?

Do you remember cycling around like a madman on the footpaths as a kid? I do. I got stopped once at the copper just told me to be safe and stay away from the roads as they were dangerous. I think cops in general would take that view with kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I dont see how they have a case there?
    If they wanted to sue right off the bat for medical costs I'd understand but three months later with an unrelated death?

Americans...

Either way, a five year old should not be able to be sued. Action taken against the kid's parents yes but not the kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

its typical of Ireland "the law is there to be obeyed" In belgium I go on the path, In holland not a problem.....cycling friendly countries but not in ireland...you could go to jail for that but not for taking money as a politician or basically bankrupting the country but those pesky cyclists going on the path...oh we will have you!!!!

Most of my cycling is done on the path, and not the road. Generally safer (At least around Drogheda anyway) in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Most of my cycling is done on the path, and not the road. Generally safer (At least around Drogheda anyway) in my opinion.

Just watch out for cars coming out of drive-ways, great way to get killed/seriously injured if you ride at any speed down the wrong footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

morana wrote: »
    its typical of Ireland "the law is there to be obeyed" In belgium I go on the path, In holland not a problem.....cycling friendly countries but not in ireland...you could go to jail for that but not for taking money as a politician or basically bankrupting the country but those pesky cyclists going on the path...oh we will have you!!!!

+1.

I don't get the hysterics about cycling on the path either. Its one thing for someone (child or adult) to use the path safely slowly, were theres no one on it, vs some nut, going too fast on a path with pedestrians on it. Are you going to put a kid on stabilizers, or a balance bike on the road?

On the flip side theres cycle paths with are mandatory, but are actually dangerous to stay in, as they put you in the wrong place on the road. Are you going to obey the law then and put yourself in danger?

Are you saying the only place a kid can cycle is on cycle path or on a road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Well it ain't called a FOOTpath for nothing. When I was driving out of Dunnestores in Tullamore a few years back some young lad came flying down the path and straight into the front of my car. He picked himself up, a bit shaken but took off cos he took the number plate clean off the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

woodturner wrote: »
    ..a few years back some young lad came flying down the path and straight into the front of my car...

You nearly killed Harry Potter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I find it hilarious when I see people wrongly cycling on paths but wearing hi vis jackets as if it makes it ok. I also remember one day when crossing the road in Clondalkin a cyclist nearly hit me from the right as I failed to look to my right on the path and he told me to watch where I was going lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

If there would be properly maintained cycle lanes, there was no need to use the footpath, I guess.

And potholes with a cover of red-ish paint or cycle lanes full of glass are not 'well maintained', I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Guidelines from the Home Office in the UK from 1999:
    The issue is about inconsiderate cycling on the pavements. The new provisions are not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other road users when doing so. Chief officers recognise that the fixed penalty needs to be used with a considerable degree of discretion and it cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16. (Letter to Mr H. Peel from John Crozier of The Home Office, reference T5080/4, 23 February 2004)

http://www.john-adams.co.uk/2011/05/05/priorities/

Seems to chime with a few comments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

In my experience (Dublin City Centre) it's mostly kids, oldies and scummers using the footpath. An able-bodied cyclist should be able to use the road. There isn't really any excuse.

If you need to use the footpath in the day time, you should just dismount and walk with the bike. At night, you could probably cycle on the footpath safely enough but it might be too close to drunk or aggressive scumbags who find a cyclist collapsed in a heap hilarious. The roads are quiet and quite safe at that time anyway.

Legally, you're not allowed, as has been stated already, but if you're not reckless, I doubt that you'd be pulled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Bad KKV, bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It's illegal to cycle on footpaths, which is probably why they put cycle lanes on them. :rolleyes:

Advertisement