Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full sus bike choice

• 08-05-2011 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    i would like to share + ask u for advance about buying a full sus.

so first of all i have limited budget cca 1800e
    i have atm felt hardtrail Q920 but i am able to get benefit from cycle to wrok scheme. that mean i can add some spare change i have and buy proper full sus.

i would love to hear your recomendation - models that u would recomend to get in this price range. so far i like Big Hit - from specialized -i know this is downhill bike but i really like the build and from time to time i am cycling in wicklow mountains - balinastoe etc.

then i found Trek Fuel EX 6 2011 - i know this model is for XC but i really like it.

then i found also full sus from Felt the price is 2400 and its slightly over my budget but still the equipment is better due to his higher price.

and i would like to see more options that i have and if someone can share also the experience with each bike. thanks

regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

really depends on whether you are looking for an xc bike a dh bike or an in between all mountain bike bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

yeh i know what u talking about...mostly i am cycling in town..but i am from slovakia and 2 times in year we are setting up between me and my friends in mountains over there..and the tracks there are pure downhill. so i cant have 2 bikes (i can but who can explain that to my wife)...just for a little bit of entertaiment here is a link to the track where we use to go..its amazing...cableway up for 10€ - 10 rides -and then pure downhill race...:))) use google translator in order to understand..
    http://rohatka.bikemagazin.sk/

anyway i would like to see the options i have and the equipment - and the real experience is not stated in any shop list...

id say your looking for a good all mountain bike, you should check out bionicon, they have some great all mountain bikes (not too sure how much they cost new mind you),
    if your going to be doing full downhill/freeride though you should just get a bike suited to that, are you willing to buy a second hand bike? you would get a lot of DH bike for €2000 second hand

you should check out here just to get an idea of prices etc. generally speaking a new DH bike will cost more than a new XC bike (not always though)

yeh i know. the thing is that i am forced to buy the bike throught the cycle to work scheme - so it must be a newone.

i found this
    http://www.biketowork.ie/bike-shops/

very helpfull and i made myself a list and i will go mostly one by one and check the prices and compare the options i will have in my price range.

there are many models out there. i do understand about the equipment SRAM + shimano + brakes + forsk + etc i know whats the best...but looking through web sites isnt working for me.
    thats why i asked for recomendation.

Thanks for effort tho

edit: i know chainreaction web site - they are based in northern ireland + 24 hour delivery option but i am unsure about the scheme..... they are good in general but they havent got the options i am looking for.

• Advertisement

i meaned options like diferent brands GIANT, TREK, FELT, Specialized, Lapierre, Cannondale..chainreactioncycles are good..last time i purchased there t-shirts + gloves just about 5 days a go..

your best bet is to go around to the bike shops in your area (where you living btw?) and ask what they can do for your budget and needs, im sure they will sort you out

I did so. My choice is specialized pitch atm from cycleways on parnell st. I am based in cc.

cork yeah? im not too sure about cork tbh if your willing to travel to killarney theres the big little bike shop which does lapierres, id say a specialized will do you grand as they are a good make though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

id say your looking for a good all mountain bike, you should check out bionicon, they have some great all mountain bikes (not too sure how much they cost new mind you),

FFS Sean this is getting ridiculous! Since you've bought that yoke it's been off the road more than on it! There are about 5 Bionicons in Ireland and that's for a good reason! The OP would be far better buying something from a mainstream brand of which there are plenty of choices!

• Advertisement

its nothing thats built by bionicon that has failed me its things built by sram shimano and other component manufacturers, my frame and suspension havnt caused me a bit of grief, also remember that i bought the bike second hand,

i have no trouble whatsoever recommending them as there service is top notch (any problem ive had has been addressed swiftly by the guys at the company) and there product is also

Cc = city centre

Thanks

dublin, your spoilt for choice up there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

Bikerguy wrote: »
    from time to time i am cycling in wicklow mountains - balinastoe etc.

then i found Trek Fuel EX 6 2011 - i know this model is for XC but i really like it.

I've a 2011 Fuel EX 6 and it's brilliant - it's very light, fast and can take some serious abuse. It's probably overkill for the offical trails at Ballinastoe, but for the rootier stuff found in the likes of Djouce or Kindlestown, it'll make your life a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

so far i like Big Hit - from specialized
    ...mostly i am cycling in town..

Maybe I'm missing something here, but were you seriously considering buying a Big Hit for riding around the city streets? That's absolutely ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Morgan wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but were you seriously considering buying a Big Hit for riding around the city streets? That's absolutely ludicrous.

The cobblestones in Temple Bar are hell! And the steps off the central bank require at least 150mm travel! :D;)

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The cobblestones in Temple Bar are hell! And the steps off the central bank require at least 150mm travel! :D;)

yeh indeed 150mm at least... anyway i am gonna have a clsoer look on the Felt option by 2morrow....

Advertisement