Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humanist baby naming ceremony

Options
  • 08-05-2011 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi, I know there have been discussions on here in the past about alternatives to Christenings. I am specifically interested in Humanist ceremonies that would be an alternative to christenings - welcome ceremonies or naming ceremonies.
    After getting our two older children baptised because of the school entry issue, my husband and I have since joined the wonderful Educate Together movement which does not discriminate against religion and non-religion. We have decided not to chisten our third child and instead to have a welcome ceremony for him at home.
    We feel that it would be better for us to have someone officiating and I think the Humanist Association would facilitate this, judging by their website. Their website has lots of info on Humanist funerals but very little on naming cermonies. We would like to know who would officiate, are they trained in some way, would they travel, etc.
    Has anyone on here ever had a Humanist naming ceremony or does anyone know anything about how the Humanist Association would do this kind of ceremony?
    Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Why not email them and ask those questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They do have sample naming ceremonies but you can make your own. They have a book of sample ceremonies. The bookshop opposite Trinity main gates in Dublin sells it or you can get it from their site.

http://www.humanism.ie/website/ceremonies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

Hi OP, where are you based? A friend of mine had naming ceremonies for his two children in the Unitarian church in Stephen's Green and we're considering the same. Link: http://www.unitarianchurchdublin.org/

Advertisement