Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animation Industry in Ireland

Options
  • 08-05-2011 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I'd like to try find out what it's like in Ireland?
    Is there many jobs going etc
    How demanding would it be to be in working in a company like Brown Bag Films? Are you paid well?
    Would you be more likely to go abroad after you qualify?

I've to go out to IADT for portfolio assessments and interviews on the 9th of June for the direct entry into 2nd year Animation.
    I just finished up my first year in NCAD there on Friday.
    There's nothing there I want to do though really, media is about the only thing.
    I applied for media but if I got Animation in IADT i'd take it any day.
    Just want to make sure i'm making the right choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

You might as well ask how long is a piece of string to be fair.

Animation can be a great industry to work in but it is a very demanding field. Alot can depend on what area of animation your looking to go into - storyboarding, character design, concept work [props, locations etc], character animation, FX, backgrounds, games, production etc etc. It's alot of freelance and contract based work. Is there work out there? Yes. Is it always going to be work your going to want to do? No there's alot of production work and grunt work that needs doing and not every job is going to be really interesting. Is it well paid? Yes but you could have alot of down time between contracts so you need to be able to manage your money. You also most likely will be freelance so need to be able to keep track of when money is due and makeing sure you get paid on time as most likely you wont and will have to go hunt people down. You'll also need to do your own taxes as a freelancer. If your someone who wants a job that's 9 to 5 you might find animation doesn't suit.

Companies like Brown Bag and other animation studios in Ireland have a list of freelancers they like to work with who've proven they can meet deadlines and keep their work to a high standard and they are slow to try new people just because the work in Ireland tends to be very deadline driven and they can't really afford to have someone not meet deadlines. People who are flexible and able to fit into different areas of productions have more options. There are networking groups like Peg Bar that are worth checking out to speak with people currently working in the industry.

Regarding having to go overseas I went into animation because I wanted to travel so don't understand anyone who doesn't want to. I know a couple of classmates who stayed put after school - it's been a mixed bag as far as work goes but the ones who have found work are the ones that are very proactive and during down times have either learned new programs or skills or worked on their own projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Xenzo

Thanks for the reply very helpful, I appreciate it!

I'd be really interested in getting into the concept art and character design side of things I think. Maybe even teaching.

I'll have a look at this Peg Bar to try find out some more about it too.

I'd definitely like to travel with it if the opportunity came up! Whereabouts did it bring you too?

Advertisement