Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visit to Westport

Options
  • 08-05-2011 6:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong category, but I tried to find a hotel recommendation section, to no avail.

Our Daughter is 5 in August, and we are looking at staying in Westport for a weekend of 12/13/14 in August. I know nothing about Westport, but on reading tripadvisor ( we are looking at the Plaza/Castlecourt) it seems there is a repeated complaint about noise emanating from nightclubs/disco during the night.

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to give their recommendations on where to stay? Also, what is there to do for a family with a 5yo girl over a weekend up there? We looked at the pirates adventure park, but in the past there were some complaints of being ripped off, is that still the case?

Many thanks

Gerry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Apologies if this is in the wrong category, but I tried to find a hotel recommendation section, to no avail.

Our Daughter is 5 in August, and we are looking at staying in Westport for a weekend of 12/13/14 in August. I know nothing about Westport, but on reading tripadvisor ( we are looking at the Plaza/Castlecourt) it seems there is a repeated complaint about noise emanating from nightclubs/disco during the night.

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to give their recommendations on where to stay? Also, what is there to do for a family with a 5yo girl over a weekend up there? We looked at the pirates adventure park, but in the past there were some complaints of being ripped off, is that still the case?

Many thanks

Gerry

The Nightclub is situation on the town side of the plaza hotel. There would be rooms affected by this in the plaza. The Castlecourt is the Castlebar rd side of the nightclub and has the Plaza inbetween it.

If you were to ring the castecourt you could ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you wanted to steer clear of the nightclub noise. But IMO i don't think the rooms in the Castlecourt would be too badly affected.

Few other options:

Mill Times Decent Hotel right at the top of the town. Decent Grub.
    There is 2 late bars near here and a chipper that is open til 4 am. So much of a muchness to a night club, i put it in incase you saw it and were wondering.

The Wyatt Same as the mill times really. Food is a bit better.

Hotel Westport Not as central as the first 2, about 5mins walk from the town centre. But it has a swimming pool. Food is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Many thanks YouTookMyName.

Food for thought there, but I really appreciate Your input:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Remember me

Hi,

The Castlecourt / Plaza (two seperate hotels runn side by side by the same family, Plaza being more expensive) is very central but as you did say this hotel is home to the only nightclub in Westport and therefore there will be some noise outside after it closes as well as during the club.

Other hotel options (I know the above post gave you some) are:

Clew Bay Hotel: Very central (on James Street) and is quite cheap.

Atlantic Coast Hotel: Lovey 4 star hotel on the Quay, about a ten minute walk from town centre but overooks the sea.

Westport Country Lodge Hotel: A brand new hotel about a 7 minute drive from town centre but is situated on a golf course (if your into that).

The Mill Times Hotel: Quite reasoanbly priced and they have a great kids club which they can take your child while you eat and they have loads of toys and life size characters.

Thigs to do in Westport:
    Westport House; In the past this has been quite expensive for what you got but now they have really upped their game and have aded LOADS of new rides and attractions-a five year olds dream! Really is worth a look.
    Lots of beaches nearby: Bertra and Old Head being your closest.

Depending if your driving you can visit:
    Croagh Patrick (and across the road is a gorgeous old monastry that you can walk around).
    Delphi Vally (Breath taking-really must see it!)
    Aasleigh Falls (you can see this is you drive through Delphi Valley and towards the tiny village of Leenane which is the village where 'The Field' was set).

I hope this helps and if I can help any further please let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Scrolling through the tripadvisor feedback, I kept coming up against the 'noise on a saturday night/sunday morning' problem, and decided it wasnt in our interest to be woken up when we all we wanted was to celebrate our Daughter's 5th birthday - we really liked the Plaza, hence the original question on this. When we mentioned the noise factor to the person who answered our call in the Plaza, they acted surprised when I told them about the adverse publicity about the noise, as if to contradict this. Sadly, that sent out the wrong signal to me.

We are heading to The Dingle peninsula instead.

I would like to take this opportunity though to thank You both for going to the bother of giving me Your views. They ARE appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Gerry

Your more than welcome! I hope you enjoy your holiday to Dingle. However please dont let that put ou off coming to Westport, it really is an amazing town with lots to offer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Have to say, I stayed in both the Plaza and neighbouring Castlecourt on weekends over the past couple of years and wasn't really troubled by disco noise. Have to disagree with Tripadvisor reviews and I am quite a light sleeper. They are a great place to stay . . . even if I do have another gripe about Westport!!!

dec25532 wrote: »
    Have to say, I stayed in both the Plaza and neighbouring Castlecourt on weekends over the past couple of years and wasn't really troubled by disco noise. Have to disagree with Tripadvisor reviews and I am quite a light sleeper. They are a great place to stay . . . even if I do have another gripe about Westport!!!

Whats your other gripe!? Im intrigued!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Whats your other gripe!? Im intrigued!

The price of food in Westport's restaurants. They are shocking expensive. Even compared to Dublin, Galway and Limerick. I have expressed this view before but some disagree even though it is the case. In fact it stops me going to Westport more often.

Advertisement