Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you...

• 08-05-2011 7:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

... flag down a car if you thought they were in the wrong?

Yesterday while cycling on a very windy day, I thought I heard a car beep at me, I could barely hear anything cause of the wind but it turns out I left my go pro filming and he did beep at me.

First of all, I know from only completing my theory test that on a windy day you should always give cyclists a wide birth. Secondly a driver should always expect the unexpected.

I was cycling along when a car came to a junction joining the road I was on, and kept going past the line you're meant to stop at(to look for traffic coming each way). I barely swerved ( maybe 30 cm max ) and then noticed just how close the car passed me, who then proceeded to beep at me. Unfortunately it was impossible to tell if it was him but If I knew It was I would of attempted to flag him down and explain the two things to him. As well as the fact he obviously wasn't giving me enough room and was trying to squeeze past me due to on coming traffic.

Has anyone ever done this? I really couldn't care what his response was as long as I got my points across.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I really couldn't care what his response was as long as I got my points across.

And vice versa.

So you just have two people shouting at each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Nope.

Whats the point?
    You'll probably just get in an argument and it's just one guy anyway.

Here in Beijing I just assume everyone else on the road is trying to kill me (the drivers here are much worse) and that I'm invisible.

Worked out fine so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It's often worth doing just so you can say you did it and made the guy aware of the problem. It can be really hard but I try to keep the cool so as to convey my points in an expeditious and lucid manner as possible. Remember, people do not take kindly to being told what to do so how you say what you need to say is almost more important than what you say. I've done the rage thing, it gets old and is largely ineffective. It also creates an 'us' versus 'them' mentality which is unhelpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

at 43yo and a life long cyclist of both the motor and pedalled kind, I can tell you from my experience that any interaction is pointless. If they beep then they already believe they are in the right and you will not change their minds. I have some guidelines that I "try" to keep to.
    1. All other road users are trying to kill you.
    2. Yes he/she IS going to pull out in front of you.
    3. Dont get angry
    4. Treat other road users as you would expect to be treated
    5. Always expect to meet yourself coming the other way (dont take chances)
    6. Admit when you are in the wrong, learn from it and dont do it again.
    7. Dont try to plead your case with an angry motorist.

There are others but they are the main ones that I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Thanks for the help all, Was just wondering as it crossed my mind yesterday. Don't think I'd ever actually do it though, and now there's more reasons not too :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement