Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aren't Green Day just brilliant live?

Options
  • 08-05-2011 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Anyone else think they are one of the best live bands in the world?

Its probably just me but I saw them in Marlay Park last year and thought it was an amazing show. Best gig I've been to in my life, much better than U2 at Croke Park 2009. They know exactly how to get a crowd going, or at least they got me going.

I really want to see them again but they still have another full studio album to record so it may be a few years down the line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Glasgow Megasnake

Used to like them, can't stand them anymore! If you haven't had the opportunity I'd get yourself to a Muse show, their new album is awful but they put on a serious spectacle with a performance to match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

karaokeman wrote: »
    Anyone else think they are one of the best live bands in the world?

no

never seen a band regress so badly

they used to be some use but now theyre a mascara covered kiddie band

punk? i dont think so

dignity-free-zone

• Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Saw them play The Ambassador just before American Idiot came out.. and they were the best I've seen them.

But saw them play The Point a year later and they were average!

I loved practically everything they did up to American Idiot, but their last album was woeful. And releasing two live albums reeks of laziness!

mascara covered kiddie band

A perfect 4-word summation!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ap1986

green day at oxegen 2005.............ill say no more pure class

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Green day remind me of Wooderson (matthew mcconaughey) in Dazed and Confused.

"Thing i love and high school chicks, i get older they stay the same"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

...get yourself to a Muse show, their new album is awful but they put on a serious spectacle with a performance to match.

They can definitely afford lots of lights and screens and lifts... But that doesn't make them a great live band.
    no

never seen a band regress so badly

they used to be some use but now theyre a mascara covered kiddie band

punk? i dont think so

dignity-free-zone

This thread is about them being a good live band, nothing to do with how they 'regressed'.

I've seen them twice, that Ambassador show before AI came out, and the Point show afterwards. Both great shows, but that Ambassador show was incredible. Billie Joe is a great frontman, so much energy coming out of such a small guy.

Best live band in the world? I don't really think so. They were incredible back then, I'm not sure if they're still that good. But Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Wilco, LCD Soundsystem all spring to mind when I think of great shows I've seen... But most of all, Bruce mother****ing Springsteen and the E mother****ing Street Band ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Best live band in the world? I don't really think so.

And when did I say they were "the best" live band in the world?

If you read my first post you will see I said "one of the best".

They can definitely afford lots of lights and screens and lifts... But that doesn't make them a great live band.

Nope, their impeccable live performances and energy make them a great live band.

And when did I say they were "the best" live band in the world?

If you read my first post you will see I said "one of the best".

I didn't say you said that, I said that I didn't think they were... You did say that they were the 'best gig you've been to', so that might have contributed to some confusion. Or, I could have just missed out on two words while I was typing. Why are you jumping on the defensive?

• Advertisement

Nope, their impeccable live performances and energy make them a great live band.

I don't think they make any connection with the crowd. I went to see them at The Point a while ago - was it 2005? - and it was big and loud and flashy, but I thought it was really sterile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I don't think they make any connection with the crowd. I went to see them at The Point a while ago - was it 2005? - and it was big and loud and flashy, but I thought it was really sterile.

I think I was at that gig, didn't they take a bunch of people out of the crowd to play with them on stage? I'd say that was making a connection!

Aldebaran wrote: »
    I think I was at that gig, didn't they take a bunch of people out of the crowd to play with them on stage? I'd say that was making a connection!

That's Green Day! Glasgow Megasnake had mentioned Muse, I was talking about them.

Green Day make a great connection with their audiences, 100% agreed :cool:

I didn't say you said that, I said that I didn't think they were... You did say that they were the 'best gig you've been to', so that might have contributed to some confusion. Or, I could have just missed out on two words while I was typing. Why are you jumping on the defensive?

I can't say if they are the best live band in the world because I haven't seen every band live.

But so far Green Day put on the best performance by miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

That's Green Day! Glasgow Megasnake had mentioned Muse, I was talking about them.

Green Day make a great connection with their audiences, 100% agreed :cool:

Oh, my apologies. I agree, Muse are a fantastic live act but they don't tend to interact with the crowd an awful lot. Green Day definitely make more of an effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

kasabian for me are the best live band in the world

ricero wrote: »
    kasabian for me are the best live band in the world

How do you know?

Have you seen every band on Earth live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Billie Joe Armstrong attacks fan at gig

Billie Joe Armstrong attacks fan at gig

Unreal :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

How do you know?

Have you seen every band on Earth live?
    Nope I have not but I've seen roughly over 2 dozen including green day but kasabian for me are brilliant live and get better with each performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I was lucky enough to see them at Witnness '02 in Fairyhouse when they did the whole greatest hits thing and i must admit they were fcuking unreal that day,but then i seen them once again at Oxegen '05,i think it was,during the whole American Idiot peak and it just didn't have the same effect on me at all.There seemed to be no soul put into it as they did at Fairyhouse although there was thousands of people around me that would disagree at the time,as they were probably only getting into Green Day because of American Idiot so maybe they were having the same experience then as i had at Witnness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I saw them at Rock Werchter last year and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

ricero wrote: »
    Nope I have not but I've seen roughly over 2 dozen including green day but kasabian for me are brilliant live and get better with each performance

Yeah would agree about Kasabian, saw them at slane a few years ago and for me they completely outshone Oasis that day!

Saw Greenday at Lollapalooza last summer though and they had the place going mental! Class performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

El Pr0n wrote:
    Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, LCD Soundsystem

+1

I'd also add Super Furry Animals, Robert Plant (the term 'stage presence' was made for this man) and Rufus Wainwright.
    There's plenty of room for artists that come out and allow the music to speak for itself (Dirty Projectors, Grizzly Bear and Beach House spring to mind for great gigs I've seen in recent years), but there's nothing quite like an 'event' sometimes.

On topic, there was a time when I was really into Green Day, particularly Dookie and Insomniac, but the first time I saw them live was Witnness '02, and by then I didn't really listen to them much at all anymore, so while it was a good performance, it was kinda lost on me. Also, Billie Joe was responsible for starting the mudfight that ended up lasting all weekend, which annoyed me. Yes, I was quite the carefree 16 year old :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Aren't Green Day that Stiff Little Fingers and Husker Du tribute band?

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Aren't Green Day that Stiff Little Fingers and Husker Du tribute band?

they wish. Consider it musical homework from Zero to any GD fans that haven't heard of these two bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

lordgoat wrote: »
    they wish. Consider it musical homework from Zero to any GD fans that haven't heard of these two bands.
    A 500-word review of Inflammable Material and Zen Arcade on my desk by Monday please.

Seriously though I was dragged along by my ex-girlfriend to their show in The Point in 2005 and it struck me how overly-rehearsed their show was. I'd rather just watch a rock band play a ragged, unrehearsed set and just go all-out crazy. At Oxegen 2005 when they headlined they had the exact same show with the exact same crowd banter at the exact same moments in the show. Please.

lordgoat wrote: »

Very, very debatable I am a GD fan and I have heard of both bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I've seen their "Bullet in a Bible" DVD, very good performance. I don't really listen to them very much anymore, but they sparked my initial interest in music, so I will always have a soft spot for them tbh (excluding the emo shiite that was the last album).
    My vote for best live band in the world has to go to these guys

Seriously can't wait for them to come back and play some more gigs here, it was absolutely incredible. There's a really great atmosphere at their gigs as well, very friendly.

• Advertisement

Zero1986 wrote: »
    A 500-word review of Inflammable Material and Zen Arcade on my desk by Monday please.

Seriously though I was dragged along by my ex-girlfriend to their show in The Point in 2005 and it struck me how overly-rehearsed their show was. I'd rather just watch a rock band play a ragged, unrehearsed set and just go all-out crazy. At Oxegen 2005 when they headlined they had the exact same show with the exact same crowd banter at the exact same moments in the show. Please.

They've been doing that exact same show since 1999 when i was a teenager and allowed to like them and go see them in the point.. It's hilarous you read the same comments about how great the are on here every time. And sure if that's your thing - dig it, but they are an average band, playing average songs in a style that appeals to the yoof.

In fairness though Nimrod and Amnesiac are still streets ahead of the crap they now pedal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement