Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microchipping

• 08-05-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Have seen on done deal a fella in laois/kilkenny advertising chipping cats/dogs for €10 says his chips are iso compliant and reg with pets protects datebase. Just wondering does this seem ok and a good deal or as my da saus if something looks to good to be true it prob is.
    i need to get 2 of my dogs chip so just looking into it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldnt go to anyone other than a vet to microchip my dog, i wouldnt trust anyone else im afraid.
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

Ive also never heard of the Pets Protect Database either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ask your vet. The chips could well be kosher, but what do you know about how he implants them. If it is not 100% clean, your dogs could get an infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

I'm not familiar with that database but I think it's an english company, you need to do some research to find out that it's legit. Also, I'd worry about what training this person has in regards to proper technique for insertion, asepsis etc. Are they insured - what if something went wrong?

Maybe I'm being a worrying wally :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'd prefer my dog to be listed on one of the bigger, better known databases, like Fido.ie, Animark or the UK Kennel Club. My girls are registered with Fido and for a small fee, I got them on the Animark database as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

To be honest, that sounds a little bit dodgy... I would go to a vet and check it out, he might be fine but if it were me, I'd get microchipping done with a vet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I would only get my dogs chipped by a vet or a recognised rescue group who have been trained how to do it. Have you seen the size of the needle for microchips?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

Stay well clear,id only get it done by a vet,certainly not a bloke of done deal you have no proof of him competancy or qualification.If your worried about the price check out your local spca or blue cross provide microchiping very cheaply too it wouldnt be more than 15 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

thank for the replies, think i will stick with my vet.

Advertisement