Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a marble fireplace hearth

• 08-05-2011 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I need some advice on installing a marble fireplace hearth. What kind of mortar should I use to bed the hearth? It’s a sold piece of black marble approx 1500 x 300 x 40mm. Can I just use builders sand and cement or should I us some sort of thin set mortar (similar to what you’d use to lay floor tiles)? Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sand and cement is fine, but if you're marble is porus then use white cement instead of the regular grey one, as it'll eventually stain through the marble.

For finishing the gap between the fireback and the fireplace itself, use bonding, as it won't crack. Sand and cement will crack and eventually fall out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tonybyrne81

Thanks for that advice did what you said and got it down today. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Good to hear you got on ok. I'm just wondering about the hearth.
    You said it was a single piece?
    When I was getting one I was told that if your planning on lighting a fire the hearth has to be made up at least two pieces with a joint?

Maybe your not planning an open fire, but just though I'd mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tonybyrne81

Thanks Harry, it's for an electric fire so i was told that it wasn't necessary to cut the marble.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sinjim

For finishing the gap between the fireback and the fireplace itself, use bonding, as it won't crack. Sand and cement will crack and eventually fall out.[/QUOTE]

Dont use bonding to fill the gap, it wont crack but it will disintergrate.
    Use firecement, push it well into the gap and rub down with a damp cloth

• Advertisement
Advertisement