Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nylon sleeves

• 08-05-2011 11:56am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from my thread on threaded bar, I'm now looking for some sort of nylon sleeve (if that's what you'd call it) to slide over a bar I'm using as an axle to act as a bearing surface between it and the bicycle hubs it will go through.

Does anyone know that right name for what I'm looking for or where to get them?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A nylon bush is what you are looking for, but you really need to have a non threaded part under the bush or it will tend to bind and wear out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Where would be the best place to buy these CJ?
    I'm in Dublin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Where would be the best place to buy these CJ?
    I'm in Dublin.

Anyone?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

how much weight are you going to put on the bush?

If your not looking for precision just get some round nylon stock, with the correct outer diameter & drill the correct size hole in the middle.

Why not just use roller skate bearings (ABEC??), these are very cheap and will give you a nice smooth action...

Oh, not a lot - maybe 20 stone tops for the four wheels combined.
    I need to move some tree trunks over rough ground. I could cut them in situ but it's an excuse to make something. I'm trying to use mostly whatever materials I have to hand.
    The nylon stock sounds like it would work for me.
    Where is that available? EDIT: I'm in Dublin - would Radionics be the place?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

To be honest i'd probably just use mountain bike front wheels as they are with the standard axel, which is supported on both sides by steel forks. 20 stone spread over 4 wheels should be grand.

If you try just support the wheel from one side, which is what i think your thinking of, you'll end up with large torsion forces in the wheel, a bike wheel wasn't designed to take these type of forces. For example a car wheel is designed very specifically so that the hub fits in inside of it and the load is correctly transferred onto it.

Spot on Dilbert. It's as much a learn-as I-go project and I've learned something just now.
    If the intended set-up lasts till the stuff is moved then well and good.
    Down the road if more suitable wheels come available then I can improve the setup.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement