Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

• 08-05-2011 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised at the lack of hype about this one seeing as it's due out in 9 days now!

One of those rare titles which has been developed exclusively for the PC so should be able to bring even the beefiest rig to its knees, and even comes with quite a lot of bonus content for your £25!

Tis looking quite secksy judging by a recent trailer - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gameplay-the-witcher/713622

Oh yeah, the original will be on sale for $5 soon for anybody who missed out!
    I'll admit, the first game can be a slog at times, but I still think I'll persevere and try to complete it before the sequel drops (or more realistically, hold off playing the sequel for a while!)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

played witcher 1 for the first time a couple of months ago, absolutely loved it. Really looking forward to number 2. I just hope it doesn't follow the trend of crap sequels from other games I loved, dragon age and mass effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just hope it doesn't follow the trend of crap sequels from other games I loved... mass effect.

Hardly a crap sequel! Slightly different than the 1st but still a brilliant game.

Anyway, was this originally planned for consoles as well? I remember seeing a vid ages ago and seeing it would be on ps and 360 and thinking i'm def gonna pick this up!

they were working on an xbox version for a while, but it fell apart for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

they were working on an xbox version for a while, but it fell apart for some reason.

Ah my laptop will never play it anyway, pity looks like a class game!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This game swiftly became my rpg of choice after playing the dragon age 2 demo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Premium edition ready to be picked up on release for me, purely on the strength of the original. Those guys know how to do an RPG. Dragon Age is decent enough, but it wasn't nearly as open and grand as it liked to pretend, and the story was so clichéd it occasionally caused physical pain. The Witcher had some fine ideas in it. And a bloody stunning soundtrack. And tits, I suppose, if you're interested in fapping over a group of artfully arranged triangles.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dunno why, but I hated the original game. Won't be picking this up at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

First one was epic but I wanted to continue this series on console to ease frame rate changes and general PC quirkiness but it never made it and now I don't even have a gaming PC anymore so this is one I'll be missing. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

pre-ordered it on steam a few months ago, can't wait, absolutely loved the first game. also, Geralt is a ledge-hammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Cannot wait for this, every little but of news makes me even more excited. Pre-load in two days as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I tried playing first one, but combat mechanics were just horrible... I still want to getback to it thought. Heard it has ather strong feutures like tities and questing. Mainly tities..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I tried playing first one, but combat mechanics were just horrible... I still want to getback to it thought. Heard it has ather strong feutures like tities and questing. Mainly tities..

I love how pretty much every female character in the game has gigantic norks... There's clearly not any wimmin on that dev team!!!:p

It gets a bit more focussed in the fifth chapter, less random side quests and a lot more story... Definitely worth sticking with it (think I've sunk about 15 hours into it so far this weekend:o)
    From what I've heard, they've introduced a Mass Effect 2 style character continuation, so some of the (incredibly difficult!) decisions you made in the first game will come back to haunt you, hence me pushing myself to finish it before I start number 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

tman wrote: »
    From what I've heard, they've introduced a Mass Effect 2 style character continuation, so some of the (incredibly difficult!) decisions you made in the first game will come back to haunt you, hence me pushing myself to finish it before I start number 2

I hear the narrative continues in a manner that blatantly assumes you've played the prequel with little in the way of recapping 'the story so far'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

I bought the enhanced edition of the first one recently purely because the Witcher 2 looks fantastic. Never got round to playing the first one yet. I better get stared, I'm a sucker for all that 'import your character' stuff.
    It would kill me to play the sequel first, knowing decisions made in the first game shape the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,456 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I bought the collectors edition here

They seem to be the best priced around

http://www.gog.com/en/page/tw2v3

im geting it from gog, they've a pretty decent deal on it

45 euro, but no drm and the crowd that make the witcher own that site so all the money goes to them, plus you get a free classic rpg and 16 euro credit to spend at gog.com

--edit

forgot to mention, the witcher 1 is going on sale at gog.com in a couple of days for 5 dollars

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

The combat in the first one is so boring... click, wait, click, wait. I struggled through the first 2 chapters I think, couldn't be bothered after that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what are the system requirements like?

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher/

the witcher 5 dollars, no drm, plenty of awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Man this game looks so friggin' good. I hope they do a 360 port so i could actually play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Pre-order and pre-load should be up today for all those waiting!

Also, from the looks of things they're not enforcing geo-ips so I presume you could claim to live in America and get the cheaper version even though the EU version comes with goodies to offset the increased price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

what are the system requirements like?

Quite demanding (well, compared to something like DNF anyway...)
    4GB ram for Vista/Windows 7 kind of suggests that a 64 bit OS is recommended if you read between the lines...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-25-the-witcher-2-system-specs-detailed

Recommended specs:

Processor: Intel Quad Core or AMD equivalent
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 260, 1 GB memory / Radeon HD 4850 with 1 GB memory
    Memory: 3 GB for Windows XP / 4 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7
    Hard Disk: At least 16 GB of free space

Minimum specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or AMD equivalent
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800, 512 MB memory or ATI equivalent
    Memory: 1 GB for Windows XP / 2 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7
    Hard Disk: 8 GB for the game installation and 8 GB for bonus materials

4GB ram for Vista/Windows 7 kind of suggests that a 64 bit OS is recommended if you read between the lines...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-25-the-witcher-2-system-specs-detailed

Recommended specs:

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 260, 1 GB memory / Radeon HD 4850 with 1 GB memory

Minimum specs:

crap... i think my old girl will die after trying witcher 2 :(. i have no funds to buy new pc now. upgrading my current one is anal job too :(

i got it preordered now. 40 quid for normal edition in gamestop. 80++ for special edition, but not avalable anymore :rolleyes:.

might isntall first one, since i boght it on steam sale ages ago.

p.s. about this gog.com

i found some freaking amazing classics on that website! is that digital download? does it work for europe? if yes, then do you get hit alot by taxes and stuff? how much realisticly i would pay for 9.99$ game?

such games like: arcanum, jagged alliance 2 etc are my childhood heroes, i lost them back in my old country :(. i would love to get them again. i would not be arsed with piracy and torrens for them too!

iirc, you just pay whatever the dollar price is converted to euro
    and yes, digital download.

you download an installer .exe, it installs everything. then you run the game. ez pz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I have 1 week left to finish the first before I ruin the rest of it for the sake of playing this.
    Loving the first one so far, cannot wait to finish it and get this.

EDIT: Collector's Edition still for sale anywhere? For 80 euro you get a hell of a lot of stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Recommended specs:

Minimum specs:

Steep :O

I tempted to get this,looks good but I couldn't get into the first one :o

iirc, you just pay whatever the dollar price is converted to euro
    and yes, digital download.

you download an installer .exe, it installs everything. then you run the game. ez pz.

sound lad. can you download it any time? as long as its on your account? does it connects to osme online thing to authorise?

yeah you can download it whenever you want and as far as I know, as many times as you want. and no authentication, no drm at all.
    just download, install, play.

• Advertisement

yeah you can download it whenever you want and as far as I know, as many times as you want. and no authentication, no drm at all.
    just download, install, play.

So I cam buy game and technically give it to my friend too?

Advertisement