Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Is this freeroam like fallout?

Haven't played this yet, but if it's anything like the first game it'll be split into large areas and you move on to the next area when you complete a chapter. The game is split into 3 chapters, so I'm guessing 3 large areas?...

Finally got it to activate anyway, turns out I was just being impatient!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i caved after deliberating for months whether to get this or not so it has been shipped out today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

You didn't leave you swords behind you in a chest or something like after you came out from Loredo's house?

Failing that are there any older save games that you could use?

I went through every one of my savegames, out of all of them.. only 1 had my swords and could roll/dodge.. luckily enough it was pretty close to where i'd left off last night

still a ****ing irritating bug, and I dont understand why it left that savegame alone and destroyed all the rest

There's a fantastic Easter egg in there that I think I managed to walk straight past (looks like the tutorial part to me, but I could be wrong...)

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/the-witcher-2s-assassins-creed-easter-egg

I'm enjoying it so far anyway, didn't get to play it much last night due to my above post, so will get properly stuck in tonight.
    Parts of it feel really dumbed down to suit the console crowd, but then parts of it like the fantastic new damage readout will just alienate them.

it's on the ballista level in the tutorial

im not sure about witcher 2 at all. with witcher 1 I powered through it, played it as much as I can as soon as I got it.. every spare minute was spent with it.

but i've had witcher 2 now for 2 days and i think ive put maybe 8-10 hours into it. I dont really want to play it for more than an hour or two at a time, I play for a bit.. get sick of it, and then come back to it a few hours later. I fired it up there half an hour ago, played for a bit. got killed by a bunch of nekkers and just... meh
    no interest atm in going back to try again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I feel like I'm terrible at the game when I get killed by nekkers on normal. It's pretty much make sure I'm fully buffed anywhere I got where I might have to fight.

BTW how do you get the troll DLC?

BTW how do you get the troll DLC?

From their site;
    To download and install additional language packets and free DLC you need to register the game. The easiest way to do this is to use the "Start The Witcher 2" shortcut located on your desktop and to select the "Register game" option in the launcher. Then follow the instructions in the registration window:
    - Enter your Product Activation Code
    After registering the game select the “Downloadable content” option and enter your DLC activation code, which you can find on separate DLC leaflets. Additional Downloadable Content will then be unlocked.

Unfortunately the registration process seems to be a bit broken at the moment...
    Not a clue how I redeem my play.com DLC though:confused:

Oh yeah, for anybody suffering from utterly crap framerates, disable UberSampling in the advanced options!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

enjoying the game, loved the first one, but this one seems to be stupid hard. It's insane how often I died even just doing the ballista part of the tutorial. Pretty frustrating. Controls seem a little wonky, which doesn't help, it's pretty hard to control Geralt precisely - he tends to leap into the middle of a bunch of soldiers to promptly get cut down, the berk.

it takes a long time to get used to the fighting, and even then most of it is just rolling around on the ground.. occasionaly interrupting the roll to slash at something with a sword.. then back to rolling around

the signs, and bombs/traps are a lot more important in this game than witcher 1.. some fights are just impossible without them.

i really hate the signs though.. if you come out of a roll.. you have to stand geralt still for 1-2 seconds before he'll cast a sign.. which is just way too long if you're fighting 5 or more people, by the time you cast the quen sign you get a sword in the back so the casting is interrupted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,853 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

So the combat has got even worse in this? it was the only thing I hated about the first game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I only got through the first game by enabling the health cheat :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

tman wrote: »
    Parts of it feel really dumbed down to suit the console crowd, but then parts of it like the fantastic new damage readout will just alienate them.

gallery-76237391-500x500.jpg

Its a PC exclusive, why would they dumb it down for the console crowd?
    The menus alone in this game would be enough to give a contard an aneurysm. I dont think theres really anything particularly consoley or dumbed down about it. If you want to play a game dumbed down for consoles, play Crysis 2. This is about as far from consolification as you can get.

they spent alot of time making sure it was playable with an xbox controller

I really dont think they did that just so 10 people could use an xbox controller to play it on pc

gallery-76237391-500x500.jpg

The menus alone in this game would be enough to give a contard an aneurysm. I dont think theres really anything particularly consoley or dumbed down about it. If you want to play a game dumbed down for consoles, play Crysis 2. This is about as far from consolification as you can get.

Wasn't it originally made for consoles as well but they couldn't afford the development when the recession hit.. The menus can easily be navigated with 360 controller. Also it doesn't support 16:10 which most PC centric games do.

they spent alot of time making sure it was playable with an xbox controller

I really dont think they did that just so 10 people could use an xbox controller to play it on pc

What, so controller support now = consolification?
    It plays better with a controller than a kb&m mouse anyway. Compare it to a console centric RPG like Mass Effect 2 where the sole RPG element pretty much is spending skill points before every mission. Thats dumbed down RPG-lite. The amount of skill tress and meditation and crafting in twitcher 2 i think pretty much excludes it from contard territory

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So how is it?worth buying?

I was mainly talking about the combat, which is a pretty large part of the game!
    You honestly think that the new system of randomly left or right clicking isn't dumbed down in comparison to the previous game?
    I've only played for a few hours so far but have really started to miss being able to quickly switch to a group style whenever you got mobbed. In this, your only option is to roll the **** out of there and hope that they all form an orderly queue...
    I was never comparing it to something like Crysis 2, which is quite obviously a console game which they also developed for the PC. The only game that it can really be compared with is its predecessor, and it feels a bit dumbed down in comparison to that!
    No need to bite my head off!:p

tman wrote: »
    I was mainly talking about the combat, which is a pretty large part of the game!
    You honestly think that the new system of randomly left or right clicking isn't dumbed down in comparison to the previous game?
    I've only played for a few hours so far but have really started to miss being able to quickly switch to a group style whenever you got mobbed. In this, your only option is to roll the **** out of there and hope that they all form an orderly queue...
    I was never comparing it to something like Crysis 2, which is quite obviously a console game which they also developed for the PC. The only game that it can really be compared with is its predecessor, and it feels a bit dumbed down in comparison to that!
    No need to bite my head off!:p

Sorry, wasnt having a go, i just have no idea how it couldve been considered consoley at all. The combat seems basic at first but i think once you start mixing it up with different signs and unlock other career path things it opens up alot. It does remind me of demons souls, combat wise tho, but demons souls is one of the best games of all time, so if it has to ape a console game, you could do worse than that!

So The Witcher 2 controls better with 360 controller?

Also has anyone been able to get troll trouble DLC. Mine just keeps downloading, verifying then downloading again.

troll trouble just downloaded for me when I installed it, i think some people on the gog forums are having trouble with it too.. not sure

has anyone found the dun banner in chapter two?
    I'm where the quest marker is telling me to go, at some small crypt with a load of wraiths.. i've killed all the wraiths but there's no quest marker inside the building telling me what i'm supposed to take.. if anything. when i'm outside the building the quest marker is pointing at me to go inside, and when i'm inside the building the quest marker is pointing at me to go outside. it's very confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

So The Witcher 2 controls better with 360 controller?

Also has anyone been able to get troll trouble DLC. Mine just keeps downloading, verifying then downloading again.

Mine does not even get that far.

I get "Connection error".

Seemingly there will be a patch next week to help with this.

I am going to stop playing until then as i want to expreience the DLC before i move to chapter 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

So how is it?worth buying?

YES

It has it's flaws and I think some of the changes from 1 are for the worse but it's still excellent.
    troll trouble just downloaded for me when I installed it, i think some people on the gog forums are having trouble with it too.. not sure

I have that completely installed but it never showed up for me :(

Oh well, something for the next playthrough.
    has anyone found the dun banner in chapter two?
    I'm where the quest marker is telling me to go, at some small crypt with a load of wraiths.. i've killed all the wraiths but there's no quest marker inside the building telling me what i'm supposed to take.. if anything. when i'm outside the building the quest marker is pointing at me to go inside, and when i'm inside the building the quest marker is pointing at me to go outside. it's very confusing.
    You should have chatted to a wraith about a battle. If you answer his questions correctly he'll give you the banner and if you didn't he'll fight you at which point you can pick the banner up from his remains.

You should have chatted to a wraith about a battle. If you answer his questions correctly he'll give you the banner and if you didn't he'll fight you at which point you can pick the banner up from his remains.
    hrm, none of the wraiths tried to talk to me.. and i've gone through every room/passage in the cryp;t with my medallion and went through all the wraith remains.. nothing quest related. it's not the dun banner cloak is it? I already have that in my inventory.. somehow, think i won it from thje dwarf in poker.

--edit
    lol, i had completely missed a wall I could blow over. nm got it :D

I must have got it wrong sire, we need to start again.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i just wanted to get in on the spoiler action :D

just started chapter 3 now.. gona take a break to watch some starcraft but aside from a few irritating bugs, im loving it

still kinda prefer witcher 1 though, witcher 2 feels less real to me somehow although I did squeak like a mouse when I noticed something i'd done in witcher 1 having an effect on 2.

also im pretty damn sure i've missed out on loads of stuff.. just from reading thread titles on gog.com and thinking "what, I never saw that.. or did that or.. knew that existed"

just started chapter 3 now.. gona take a break to watch some starcraft but aside from a few irritating bugs, im loving it

still kinda prefer witcher 1 though, witcher 2 feels less real to me somehow although I did squeak like a mouse when I noticed something i'd done in witcher 1 having an effect on 2.

also im pretty damn sure i've missed out on loads of stuff.. just from reading thread titles on gog.com and thinking "what, I never saw that.. or did that or.. knew that existed"

This game is definitely going to require at least another playthrough, so many different options. I also love the way you can fail a quest but the world keeps on going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Exams finish on Wednesday; This or LA Noire first?

Exams finish on Wednesday; This or LA Noire first?

This

• Advertisement

This

This.

Advertisement