Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So what I've heard is basically the dev's took all the complaints from the first one and improved on the 2nd? Didn't really like the first one but raving reviews across the board has suddenly got my attention on this game again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what didnt you like about the first one?

:)

it feels like a pretty general sort of improvement. few steps back, like the inventory which is pretty ****ing terrible .. the combat is.. harder too, which to be fair it needed to be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

whats hard about the combat?

at the beginning it was horrible, now that ive gotten better swords/armour its pretty easy. but at the start, all you could do was roll around all the time occasionaly slashing with your sword and then continue rolling around

casting signs during combat is horrible too, it takes 2-3 seconds for geralt to accept that you're spamming the q key and cast a sign which can mean you're just taken 3-4 hits to the face or been molested by magic attacks from half a mile away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

at the beginning it was horrible, now that ive gotten better swords/armour its pretty easy. but at the start, all you could do was roll around all the time occasionaly slashing with your sword and then continue rolling around

casting signs during combat is horrible too, it takes 2-3 seconds for geralt to accept that you're spamming the q key and cast a sign which can mean you're just taken 3-4 hits to the face or been molested by magic attacks from half a mile away.

i gave a go to first on, as i bought it on sale for 5 quid on steam. i really damn enjoying it. i am surprised how mature/inmature this game is, if you know what i mean. there are no pink eyed fantasy elfs bull****, its dark and shady. Passing by and hearing some villager saying "my balls are itchy" just puts a smile on your face.

combat is prety much same is it? what about inventory? you can cary only one weopon of each type? so if you find something decent you got to pick it up now and then?

p.s. i was told there is very good altaer and AC reference in game. worth getting it for that alone lol.

any good place to get that online for less then 39.99eu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

any good place to get that online for less then 39.99eu?

gog.com

It is now non geo-ip locked, so go into options and change country to US to pay in dollars etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

moonboy52 wrote: »
    gog.com

It is now non geo-ip locked, so go into options and change country to US to pay in dollars etc

how much will that work out? i thought they sell game for full price and give 16dollars worth of voucher for gog? not best deal, if i dont plan on buying games on gog i guess.

well, finished it now
    I am massively underwhelmed. while it may have been a technical improvement on witcher 1, the story was pretty ****. The last chapter was just a grind, i didn't enjoy it one bit. And that ****ing dragon fight, jesus christ. There was no skill involved, there was no strategy.. just keep poking away at a ****ing giant flying lizard with your sharp toothpick until it ****ing dies.
    I think all in all I disliked this game just about as much as I liked it, at least they've done me the courtesy of not leaving me salivating for witcher 3 and an impossibly long wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm trying to complete side quests as I go along, but have almost given up on the Nekker contract in chapter 1.
    I've found the 2 nests/holes which are around the first tree marked on the map directly to the south-east of Flotsam, and have found one a little further downriver (inland a bit to the east), but can't for the life of me find the fourth one
    Anybody got any pointers on where I can look next? I really don't want to cave in and start reading a walkthrough:(

/edit
    Never mind, found it eventually!

I'm really starting to warm to the game now, and even the combat is starting to "click"... Just wish I had more free time for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I only got an hour into the first game – found the combat too much effort/not enough fun. If I was to get this should I go back and finish the 1st to get the most out of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

well, finished it now
    I am massively underwhelmed. while it may have been a technical improvement on witcher 1, the story was pretty ****. The last chapter was just a grind, i didn't enjoy it one bit. And that ****ing dragon fight, jesus christ. There was no skill involved, there was no strategy.. just keep poking away at a ****ing giant flying lizard with your sharp toothpick until it ****ing dies.
    I think all in all I disliked this game just about as much as I liked it, at least they've done me the courtesy of not leaving me salivating for witcher 3 and an impossibly long wait.

Kinda how I felt at the end.
    Floatsam chapter was good fun and I enjoyed the story there. Wasn't mad about chapter 2. Last chapter just felt empty and rushed. That dragon fight was crap. No skill or tactics involved. The ending was pretty underwhelming. I didn't expect for everyone to live happy ever after but it felt like the game built up to nothing.

It feels like the game was designed for console. CD Project ran out of money during development and they finished off the PC version from what they had done already.

yeah :/

im still debating whether or not to go back and give it another playthrough to choose the other path
    I chose roche instead of Iorveth at flotsam, cos I wanted to take care of the flotsam commander
    . I want to experience the rest of the game I havent played yet, but I can't get over that general feeling of "meh" I have when I look at the launcher on my taskbar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Gametrailers review made this sound even more awesome then i already expected it to be, and made me want to pick this up today...unfortunately, it's sold out everywhere i checked in town.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-the-witcher/714184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Bought it today...and now i can't play it. Apparently the activation servers are borked, and i can't activate the game. Enter the cd-key, checks for updates, disappears. I hate it when i actually buy games, and then need to go look for a crack becuase they **** something up.

Patch 1.1 is out by the way. Fixed my activation issues.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Just finished it now. Very enjoyable despite the flaws. Liked the story, good voice acting. Combat is a bit iffy but pleasantly violent, doors are annoying. First half of the game was definitely more interesting.

I hope it sells a bucketload. It's widely thought their announcement at E3 will be a console version. I'd hate to see another interesting developer change focus from PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Poland is showing us up, Obama came here and what did he get.

He goes to Poland and Prime Minister Donald Tusk presented him with several gifts to commemorate his visit, One of those was the collector's edition of The Witcher 2.

http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,107162,9684529,Czy_Barack_Obama_zagra_w_Wiedzmina_2_.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

what are people thinking of the patches so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,853 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Maximilian wrote: »

I hope it sells a bucketload. It's widely thought their announcement at E3 will be a console version. I'd hate to see another interesting developer change focus from PC.
    360 version has been confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ShaneU wrote: »
    360 version has been confirmed
    as long as it makes the product more viable i have no problem with it , these guys do good work it makes financial sense to make it multiplatform .

****! This game is tough at times. I died about 40 times fighting the first proper boss (
    The Kayran
    ), and then the 1st time i managed to kill him, the game crashes on me and doesn't save.

I now need a new keyboard :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

what are people thinking of the patches so far.

Removal of DRM, all DLC free and provided for everyone, performance fixes, what's not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Varik wrote: »
    Poland is showing us up, Obama came here and what did he get.

He goes to Poland and Prime Minister Donald Tusk presented him with several gifts to commemorate his visit, One of those was the collector's edition of The Witcher 2.

http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,107162,9684529,Czy_Barack_Obama_zagra_w_Wiedzmina_2_.html

Yeah but we gave him a Hurley and made him pay 50 quid for a pint of Guinness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

frakkin steam...bought the game on Sunday,,finally started playing it on Monday and then Steam decides to update it....a frakkin 9GB patch because Valve are too backwards to set up binary compares for patches and instead are downloading the entire data cab file...
    Not only that but it's only updating patch 1.1.
    Patch 1.2 is already out so that's another 9gb download and I hear patch 1.3 is due out soon....
    absolutely last straw with Steam...I will never ever buy a game from them again..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    frakkin steam...bought the game on Sunday,,finally started playing it on Monday and then Steam decides to update it....a frakkin 9GB patch because Valve are too backwards to set up binary compares for patches and instead are downloading the entire data cab file...
    Not only that but it's only updating patch 1.1.
    Patch 1.2 is already out so that's another 9gb download and I hear patch 1.3 is due out soon....
    absolutely last straw with Steam...I will never ever buy a game from them again..:mad:

That is a bit OTT no?

It is cd projekt red who determines the patch size.

For patch 1.1, i believe the whole game had to be basically downloaded again as to remove the DRM properly.

I would seiously doubt if future patches will be that size.

just reading the notes for patch 1.2

"Islamic–themed and similar textures have been deleted and/or replaced."

what the ****?
    lol

--edit

just in case anyone was curious, there was a muslim prayer rug on the ground in one of the games brothels :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

moonboy52 wrote: »
    That is a bit OTT no?

It is cd projekt red who determines the patch size.

For patch 1.1, i believe the whole game had to be basically downloaded again as to remove the DRM properly.

I would seiously doubt if future patches will be that size.

Nope...the normal patch is approx 15meg. But since it affects the data0.cab file which is 9gb in size Steam mandates that it must download the entire file again.
    And since this 9gb file contains the majority of the game etc it will always be updated by a patch which means Steam will always download it again...

Well known issue with Steam users being rightly píssed off with... publisher has apologized and is pushing Valve to allow binary compares and updates rather than downloading complete files again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You'd think Steam would be more than happy to switch over, considering it's their servers that are getting a battering everytime there's a game update.

Advertisement