Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Nope...the normal patch is approx 15meg. But since it affects the data0.cab file which is 9gb in size Steam mandates that it must download the entire file again.
    And since this 9gb file contains the majority of the game etc it will always be updated by a patch which means Steam will always download it again...

Well known issue with Steam users being rightly píssed off with... publisher has apologized and is pushing Valve to allow binary compares and updates rather than downloading complete files again.

Thank you for the explanation. I stand corrected.

I got my game on GoG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Thank you for the explanation. I stand corrected.

I got my game on GoG.

No prob :)
    However since I only just bought the game I only had to update the once...just verified that steam patched it overnight to 1.2...hopefully it's a while before 1.3 comes out...I'd like to play the game for a week or two before having to download another 9gb patch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

just picked it up in gamestop. got that limited edition.

takes ages to install... looks like the bar is moving litle by little but it takes ages ffs...

its stuck on pack0.zip any ideas?

false alarm, it went up and asked for second disc, thx god!

doig that prologue thing with castle assault. damn solid experience so far, but feck it showed how badly my old girl needs hardware update :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I finished this yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a bloody tough game at times, but the combat is very good when you get into the swing of things. Went down the magic path, and it definitely made things easier i'd say. Sided with (spoilers throughout the game ahead)
    Roche, let him kill Henselt, saved Síle, spared the dragon and let Letho walk away.

Great game, and looking forward to playing it down the other path. I've heard it's almost an entirely different game.

• Advertisement

out of cell, did that introduction bit. i cant believe how it glues my face to screen and actuolly makes me care about characters!

the only downside - i need new rig :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hey guys, loving this game but a bit stuck right now. I'm just using the games auto saves and want to use some potions before taking on a boss. Any idea how?

tuxy wrote: »
    Hey guys, loving this game but a bit stuck right now. I'm just using the games auto saves and want to use some potions before taking on a boss. Any idea how?

You must meditate (prior to a fight) to consume potions.

Save and save often so it is an easy reload to go back and consume said potions.

But often that is not really possible when there are lots of cut scenes. Why would the auto saves prevent you from preparing for a fight? :confused:

tuxy wrote: »
    But often that is not really possible when there are lots of cut scenes. Why would the auto saves prevent you from preparing for a fight? :confused:

When i play single player games i do a full save every 15 mins.

If the autosave is not interfering you from meditating and then fighting then why are you asking the question?

• Advertisement

Well how are you expected to prepare for a fight that you do not know is coming?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you're not, which is something that annoyed me about the game. you pretty much had to safe often, and find out when to take potions by dying in ridiculous fights

also

3GXjo.jpg

this is why we can't have nice things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well i'm playing my premium edition *smug grin*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

3GXjo.jpg

this is why we can't have nice things

such a shame.

Magill wrote: »
    such a shame.

But hardly surprising. And if there was DRM or some other copy protection, we'd bitch and moan about it. It's really a no win situation for developers.

It is such a shame.

My respect for the Witcher 2 Dev's really grew after their sister company GoG removed their geo-ip restrctions.

They got my money and shame on the pirates!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Hopefully its still sold well anyway. In the grand scheme of things 12K lost sales arent that many, if you manage to sell a million over time. And like notch, i think, said, a lost sale to piracy isnt really a lost sale, as they were never going to pay for the product anyway.

Hopefully its still sold well anyway. In the grand scheme of things 12K lost sales arent that many, if you manage to sell a million over time. And like notch, i think, said, a lost sale to piracy isnt really a lost sale, as they were never going to pay for the product anyway.

And some people will pirate a game if it's released early, yet still buy it. A small number true, but still. Would be interesting to see how well the game sold though.

i allways had respect for that fella, but if he said that too, then **** me. he got even more Rep with shadowhearths faction :p

Okay, how the feck do I use potions lolls.

• Advertisement

you have to meditate, then go into the potions menu

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Evening peeps, just downloading the the second update for this bad boy at the mo. Looking forward to getting my teeth into it.

Just wondering what im getting myself into and also any tips/tricks would be mucho appreciated!

Also to add to the discussion above I bought my copy :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

12k that are downloading it at the moment... from that one torrent. 12Gig isnt really that big anymore, Most people could download that overnight.. Its probably more like 12,000 every couple of days. It adds up, especially when its a PC exclusive (For the moment) as their target audience is quite small.

you have to meditate, then go into the potions menu

How lol. So I can't take a pot in cVe when I got raped by some nakkers?

nope
    in witcher 1 you could take potions whenever, but according to the books geralt meditated before a fight and took his potions then so they changed it for witcher 2.

save often, and make lots of potions :)

nope
    in witcher 1 you could take potions whenever, but according to the books geralt meditated before a fight and took his potions then so they changed it for witcher 2.

save often, and make lots of potions :)

Still, how do you meditated lol.

I have to say this game is just great. Unfortunately I have to play it on bog spec :( . I turned on everything up once just to see it and my jaw droped while watching that slide show.

I love it, I am still only in beginning, but I am playing it in short bursts. I had to force myself to go to bed, as I had that " 5 more minutes symptom " last night. I hated oblivion, one of the most over rated games out there, open world which feels like some... Crap with souless npcs. In witcher it's different, you do feel the world and everything that surrounds you. Language is just awesome too. You can write a book on swearings lol.

Just one more question, in chapter one: troll under the bridge thing. It tells me to g and talk to him, but he just plainly attacks me, I want to "fix" him, but I don't know where to start as quest discription is very obstract, which is not bad thing. Love to see some games that don't hold your hand and cock all game long..

Still, how do you meditated lol.

I have to say this game is just great. Unfortunately I have to play it on bog spec :( . I turned on everything up once just to see it and my jaw droped while watching that slide show.

I love it, I am still only in beginning, but I am playing it in short bursts. I had to force myself to go to bed, as I had that " 5 more minutes symptom " last night. I hated oblivion, one of the most over rated games out there, open world which feels like some... Crap with souless npcs. In witcher it's different, you do feel the world and everything that surrounds you. Language is just awesome too. You can write a book on swearings lol.

Just one more question, in chapter one: troll under the bridge thing. It tells me to g and talk to him, but he just plainly attacks me, I want to "fix" him, but I don't know where to start as quest discription is very obstract, which is not bad thing. Love to see some games that don't hold your hand and cock all game long..

Press left-ctrl to bring up the menu, and then select Meditate.

As for the Troll, smash him a few times (healthb to -50%) and he'll start talking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Eventually got round to getting this, too many games :)
    Loving it so far,combat is excellent.

hmmm i started to get really annoyting bugg. no voice acting...

it sometimes kicks in, and then kicks out again....

really annoying... reading all that and not hearing ussual villager barter is really making game duller :(

any fix for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Holy crap this game is good. I liked the first one but this is just brilliant.
    The entire prologue blew me away, great voice acting, interesting characters, great combat, the quick time events and all were great. In Dragon Age i couldnt wait for any character conversation to be over but here i actually want to hear what people are saying.

Advertisement