Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur Radio exam date approaching

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

eth0 wrote: »
    How did the ould exam go for everyone who done them this year? I passed em anyway, didn't have a whole lot of time to study for them but still scraped by

Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

eth0 wrote: »
    How did the ould exam go for everyone who done them this year? I passed em anyway, didn't have a whole lot of time to study for them but still scraped by

Can I ask what materials you used to study ? Anything in particular you found good ?

I am sitting the exam in October, have found some good stuff using the IRTS links...

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

bauderline wrote: »
    Can I ask what materials you used to study ?
    Anything in particular you found good ?
    I am sitting the exam in October, have found some good stuff using the IRTS links...
    P.

Excellent question.
    I hope you get plenty of answers from around the country sharing the
    methods of learning the same subject so that you and many others who
    wish to study in the future (next exam onwards) can see what ways &
    methods are out there to study as part of a class, group or single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Can I ask what materials you used to study ? Anything in particular you found good ?

P.

That is mostly what I used, most of the technical stuff I knew already (except for the stubs and baluns which I still know very little about and a couple other things). I have a few pages on propogation which I can send to you but there might only be one question on that.

This wiki article explains the 'D-Layer' question or similar that comes up fairly well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionosphere

Have a good look over the IARU R1 band plans, there will be a good few questions on the peculiarities of this. Secondary allocation, contest allowed. A couple of questions if you are lucky at the start of the exam you can guage by the most politically correct sounding answer, but still better if you know it.

There will be a couple of questions on inductors/capacitors/resistors in parallel and in series. They are handy questions just 2 simple formulas for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

P.
    Can you post those links here please? Are there examples of past papers available?

I sat and passed the exam thirty years ago but never collected my licence! I'm hoping Derek O'Reilly still has my paperwork in the ComReg archives. I'm interested in the exam for my wife although I may have to re-sit it myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement