Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this sink plumed correctrly?

• 08-05-2011 1:12pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I am renting in an appartment & quite recently I have been getting a sewage smell coming from the sink, I have to have the stopper in it all the time & duct tape on the over flow.
    I tried the usual drain smell stuff to clean it out(its not blocked)
    I had a look at the pipes but can someone confirm if they're correct?
    it red arrow is the dishwasher/washing machine exit pipe, and the blue arrow is the exit pipe from the appartment.
    I can sometimes feel a slight air blowing up from the sink & hear when water rushing the odd time when other people flush their toilets

Should water from the sink exit down to the U pipe & then go onto the exit pipe? pics are attached, sorry about the dirty pipes, its from the prevous tennants :)

2j0e9vt.jpg

2n0ngqr.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

I'm not a plumber but i don't think this is plumbed correctly.

I've marked on a your pic where I think the water level will be (flat line) - this is to stop smells, etc. from returning to the sink plug hole.

The arrows show the flow of the smells.

plumb1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    I'm not a plumber but I'd wonder if the ventilation for the system is correct.. The sewage system should be ventilated both to allow smell release and air in as water is moving down the system...

My feeling is that the vent may be blocked/non existent. Thus when someone else flushes a toilet or releases water it is causing the water in your sanitary trap to be sucked out down the system.. This water in the sanitary trap should act as a stopper preventing smells coming back up the sink...

Is there water in the sanitary trap (u-bend) under the sink??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

good spot... completely missed that.. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Looks like you need to swap the outlet around,where the blue pipe is should be the exit to the drains.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

mp22 wrote: »
    Looks like you need to swap the outlet around,where the blue pipe is should be the exit to the drains.

I was thinking the same that they should be swapped around, but I am not sure if the pipes are going to sit nicely together
    bbam wrote: »

Is there water in the sanitary trap (u-bend) under the sink??

just took the pipe off there to check, there is water in the u bend, the water & the pipe is clean as a whistle

I am thinking maybe I should just say it to the land lord and let him organise someone to come out and fix it, and new pipes may be needed to swap them aroud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

It's a complete bodge. It looks like a dishwasher or washing machine waste outlet was added and the person didnt have the right trap with branch for the washing machine/ dishwasher hose to attatch to so added a tee piece and reversed the trap. The sink pipework has no water in it to maintain a seal. It needs the trap removing and a new trap purchased with the stub for the waste for the dishwasher/ washing machine waste. It should not cost much to repair, about 20-30 minutes. Link to whats needed.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/sink-washing-machine-trap-40mm/12794

Stove Fan:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

excellant, thanks for the link will prob just pick it up myself and put it on.
    The smell has been getting quite over powering now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Edser is correct.

The person that did that swapped the connection for the diswasher /washing machine with the outlet.

It should be the other way around, as the way its set up now completely negates the whole point of having a waste trap. The water resevoir will prevent anysmells comming back in.

Change it and you will solve this problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Inch and Half combination trap....Job done....

Advertisement