Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wouned magpie outside

• 08-05-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

By kerb, hes alive and alert by main road. Saw him being kicked by kid already. What do? DSPCA or vet care or leave em to die? No money for this either, please advise. Its a sunday too at 3:50pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

A crow was found outside my house yesterday, i contacted my local vet and he gave me a number to contact for a wildlife sanctaury, it's based in meath but maybe they can let you know of a local one near you.

I still have the crow in my house just waiting for him to be collected but they can advise you of what to do in the mean time.

It's the National Exotic Animal Sanctuary and the number is 0858465464, http://www.neas.ie/ that's their website too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Im not sure if vets are actually obliged to or not but most will treat wildlife free of charge, or at least put it down free of charge if it's too badly injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

best bet is give him to someone with a shotgun to be humane about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Hes in the shed i made it comfy for the night. I'll put it out in the sun later in the back garden. Cant tell if it ate. I'll call the vet at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Re wildlife, I called a vet about a baby rabbit that my cat caught, rabbit was unharmed but in shock but when I suggested keeping it somewhere to recover she told me it was illegal as irish wildlife is protected and has to be taken to proper sanctuary etc...
    On a happy note the rabbit spent the day in the vets and was released later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Im not sure if vets are actually obliged to or not but most will treat wildlife free of charge, or at least put it down free of charge if it's too badly injured.

Ive brought a few wild birds to my local vet and they never charge me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Well he died out in the sun today. At least his last day wasnt by a kerb being kicked by bloody scangers or squashed under a wheel. I'll bury him later.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Thats freaky, today I found an injured magpie on the kerb of a laneway too. Half his side is bloody and has no feathers, I've no idea what happened? He wasn't able to move; I only realised he was alive when his eye moved :( But when getting him off the road and into a basket he did a few hops.. So he's currently in a wicker box lined with newspaper. I have some bird seed so scattered a little on the bottom. Am hoping he's in shock and will get better but are the chances that he will die? :(
    Any tips/advice? Vet is closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

He sounds very badly injured. No feathers? Poor thing. TBH chances are he wont last the night. Birds tend to die of shock very easily. Although magpies are cheeky things aren't they? so if he survives his physical injuries, he might cope better with being so close to people than a more timid bird.

You're best to keep him cool, in a dark space, and a quiet space. Leave water, and something to eat. There is not much else you can do besides not disturb it if possible. I'd recommend keeping it in an easily cleaned room if possible.

I once made the mistake of taking an injured bird into our spare bedroom - for 2 days he was listless and barely moved in his box. On the third night he ate a bit, so I left the box open, hoping the sunrise and sound of other birds might stir him a bit. It did - and he flew around the room leaving little splats everywhere, woke us at 6am calling to other birds. The room had to have the carpet pulled up and be repainted. :rolleyes:

The next bird was put in a box in the bath - I wasn't going to take that risk again. A crow in a little bathroom looks HUGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

BengaLover wrote: »
    Re wildlife, I called a vet about a baby rabbit that my cat caught, rabbit was unharmed but in shock but when I suggested keeping it somewhere to recover she told me it was illegal as irish wildlife is protected and has to be taken to proper sanctuary etc...
    On a happy note the rabbit spent the day in the vets and was released later.

Completely wrong rabbits are not protected wildlife same as foxes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Completely wrong rabbits are not protected wildlife same as foxes.

neither are protected and can be hunted year round the only right they have is to be humainly dispatched but you cannot catch ether and re reliese them. the other poster is right in what they said.

EDIT have since been told otherwise about rerelese. info came from NPWS.

thanks whispered, he died this morning. (well found him dead in the morning) :( rip :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Found a dead magpie yesterday in my driveway..i'd noticed him(i think it was him) hopping around earlier in the day and seemed to be okay.

It seems unlikey a cat got him as a magpie can put up a good fight and a cat would probably have wounded not killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Artstaaar

Degsy wrote: »
    Found a dead magpie yesterday in my driveway..i'd noticed him(i think it was him) hopping around earlier in the day and seemed to be okay.

It seems unlikey a cat got him as a magpie can put up a good fight and a cat would probably have wounded not killed him.

My cat has killed a magpie no problem to her :( These were probably all cats. Its awful but nothing we can really do about it. I once heard of a cat killing a pheasant!

Artstaaar wrote: »
    My cat has killed a magpie no problem to her :( These were probably all cats. Its awful but nothing we can really do about it. I once heard of a cat killing a pheasant![/QUOTE

Yep I've seen a feral mother cat dragging a dead pheasant and bring it over to her 7 kittens.... It was the same size as her!

Advertisement