Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to a different University for Masters-good or bad?

Options
  • 08-05-2011 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

Hi there, I am a soon-to-be Arts graduate. I have been accepted to many Masters in the ROI and in NI. My query is, is it better to have a Masters from a different university to your Bachelors?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I don't think it makes a difference really. I did my masters at a different university but to be honest I don't think it has been a help or a hindrance.

I was told you should really go somewhere different for the MSc. I did mine across two places, one was my first uni. I hated the new one and couldn't get used to it.

So it's up to you really

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

It's generally not a bad idea to demonstrate mobility, but it all depends on the courses themselves. I would say, all other things being equal, that yes, it's probably not a bad idea to go and experience a different institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I was always advised that it looks better on your CV to do your postgraduate in a different place to your degree. Apparently it can come across that you just 'fell into' doing a postgrad at the same place, whereas going to the effort of moving to a new institute looks like you were genuinely enthusiastic.

Of course you should prioritize the course that interests you the most, but like djpbarry said, if all things are equal then going to a different institute is probably better.

If for nothing else, you might want to go somewhere different just for your own sanity! Anyone I know who's done their undergrad and postgrad in the same college have come to hate the place and just can't wait to get out. It's also good experience to just get a feel for how different places do things and meet an entirely new set of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

Thanks a million for that insight. Someone told me it looks better on your CV so I am delighted to find out why.

All in all, I only got to like my current university in the past six months. I made a great bunch of friends this year which I'll be reluctant to leave, but I think it has to be done. I need to get out of here when I can.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I've heard the same thing, but never seen any reasons as to why.

At the end of the day a Masters is a Masters.

mp3guy wrote: »
    I've heard the same thing, but never seen any reasons as to why.
    Suppose you’re a Dublin-based employer with a position to fill. Suppose you’ve narrowed your choice down to two candidates, both of whom have identical qualifications and experience. However, one did their Bachelor in Dublin and their Masters in Germany, while the other did both their Bachelor and Masters in Dublin. Which candidate are you most likely to lean towards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

djpbarry wrote: »
    Suppose you’re a Dublin-based employer with a position to fill. Suppose you’ve narrowed your choice down to two candidates, both of whom have identical qualifications and experience. However, one did their Bachelor in Dublin and their Masters in Germany, while the other did both their Bachelor and Masters in Dublin. Which candidate are you most likely to lean towards?

Neither - It's obviously you trying to prove I'd be biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

FewToLose wrote: »
    Hi there, I am a soon-to-be Arts graduate. I have been accepted to many Masters in the ROI and in NI. My query is, is it better to have a Masters from a different university to your Bachelors?

There may be a marginal perception that by moving to study elsewhere you've demonstrated a dedication to academia, and that you'd be prepared to move for work in the future and aren't tied to one town or institution.
    But I think that's far less important than the quality of the degree and the teaching you receive.
    To put it another way - BA from Ahascragh Poly, Masters from Cambridge = good idea.
    BA from Ahascragh Poly, Masters from Ahascragh Poly = bad idea.
    BA from Cambridge, Masters from Cambridge = good idea.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Neither - It's obviously you trying to prove I'd be biased.
    No, it’s me trying to demonstrate that, like it or not, employers are biased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

djpbarry wrote: »
    No, it’s me trying to demonstrate that, like it or not, employers are biased.

Yes, many prefer candidates with foreign language fluency.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mono627

FWIW I just completed (still have thesis to do) a Masters in a different university to my undergrad and I'd highly recommend it. There's a lot to be said for meeting an entirely new group of people and experience a different college culture.

Up to yourself though at the end of the day.

Advertisement